Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

No glove box = Dented passenger door!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 06:45 AM
6kLaunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No glove box = Dented passenger door!

I never payed much attention to not having a glove compartment accessable, figuring that I could store those kinds of things in the compartments behind the seat.

Last weekend, my wife and I decided to go to Santa Barbara for the day, a nice 100 mile drive up the coast would be fun and relaxing. The wife put her stuff in the storage compartment behind her seat and we were off. I needed to buy gas, so I stopped at the gas station and to fill her up. The wife, decides she needs to get her phone out of her purse that is in the storage compartment behind her. She opens her door because she knows thats the only way she can get access. She opens the door to get out, ... SMACK into a 2 foot high post . ( you know the posts at the end of the gas pump islands to protect the pumps from errant cars)

I can't really blame her, because the post was not visable from the car, but the damage has been done. I have a nice scratch and a door ding.

The moral of the story: Never let your wife or girlfriend ride in your car ! No not really, but if the glove box was accessable, it would of never happened.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 seconds to look out the door and she would have known... those poles should be expected since I think their required by law.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:55 AM
abz123

Now she knows she doesn't put her purse in the glove box. Most purses are too big for the glove box.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:03 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Yet another reason to ban the use of purses all together! They're evil and only suck females into carrying way too much crap around. I only carry one when absolutely necessary, but it still ticks me off that I seem to get more an more crap in it each time I pick it up.

Sorry about your door, but she really should have looked. We all know those polls are there. (no offense intended)
Old 12-09-2002, 10:16 AM
6kLaunch

Yes... She should of looked, but she didn't! She about died when she realized what she did because she knew I would be pissed. I was pretty angry, but what am I susposed to do, beat her? Whats done is done.

I didn't realize you guys would get so defensive about my criticizing the poor placement of the glove box. There really isn't much room to keep things handy in the car, just the one little counsil(sp) or in the door.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:17 AM
spf4000

Yeah, beat her upside the head! j/k

Sorry to hear about your door. I did the same thing a month after I got my RSX. Hope you didn't get too mad at her, cause I'm sure she already felt horrible after realizing she dinged your baby.

There's nothing you can do about the scratch short of repainting, but dings will come out really easily--just get one of those Dent Pro guys to take it out for you. It's worth it!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Electro Z

Default I also find the loss of the glove box...

a little frustrating... THOUGH... if I could get a small net that would be between the strut brace and the speaker houseing that I could just toss things into I would be happy.

Sorry bout the door.. get it fixed... Your wife is probably going through hell right now.. get it fixed quick and mention it never again... she will love you for it.

EZ
Old 12-09-2002, 12:08 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Yet another reason to ban the use of purses all together! They're evil and only suck females into carrying way too much crap around. I only carry one when absolutely necessary, but it still ticks me off that I seem to get more an more crap in it each time I pick it up.

Sorry about your door, but she really should have looked. We all know those polls are there. (no offense intended)
How about banning the use of girlfriends and wives? LOL
Old 12-09-2002, 04:13 PM
speedtrip

Dear Nissan,

Please move the the fuel door to the LHD side for us Americans so that our well meaning significant others don't ding or scratch the door or drag the fuel hose across the back because they forgot which side it's on.

Thank you
Old 12-09-2002, 04:23 PM
vicmar90

Smile

I love my wife but a week after a she put a long scratch on the bottom of my car and scraped my driver side rim, I went and brought her a KIA Sportage. She now will not have to drive the Z.
Victor
Old 12-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Loaner

Kia>>>>>>WTF!

Yugo is a damn nice car and suitable for any respecting wife. I am sure you could get a deal on a used one. You must be rolling in the dough.

Oh and what about LeCar? You kids may not remember that one.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:10 PM
vshin

You are being too nice. How can it NOT be your wife's fault? It is SOOO totally her fault for not caring enough about the car as you do. If she really loved you she should have been extra careful not to damage the car. I mean, do YOU swing the door wide open without checking for obstacles? Of course not. You need to make some hard decisions in terms of where she stands between you and your Z.

Last edited by vshin; 12-09-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:16 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, this is a tough crowd!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:52 PM
abz123

That's some harsh punishment.

Originally posted by vicmar90
I love my wife but a week after a she put a long scratch on the bottom of my car and scraped my driver side rim, I went and brought her a KIA Sportage. She now will not have to drive the Z.
Victor
Old 12-09-2002, 06:05 PM
^Tyr

its ok.. assuming you havent had kids yet.. when your holding your first walk into a wall with it and say that you didnt see it

or just drop the kid on his head and say that you didnt see the floor there. (smart kids are more expensive anyways)
Old 12-09-2002, 06:32 PM
z461

That's why I keep a small fund of about 600 dollars seperate just for repair purposes...I just consider it "fix-up" money. It's in case one of my cars gets dinged or whatever.. etc. I don't touch the money unless a vehicle needs some minor repair shop work. That way I don't ever have to fret unnecessarily.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:07 PM
ares
Veteran

I have a question, if there was a typical glove box, she would have put her purse in there? this is total news to me, Ive never seen a girl fit a purse in a glove box. typicly I keep the owners manual and other important papers in there, and with all my past cars, they are WAY smaller than the Zs compartment.

if she hasnt noticed, its a hatchback, that means toss it in the trunk, much easier than going through all the trouble of moving the seat foward to get to the glove box. or just keep it by her feet...

just some observations by me
Old 12-09-2002, 07:23 PM
rouxeny

Damn you guys are tough. My friend was driving my Z a few days ago and puta small scratch in the front when he touched a parking stop. I think he thought I would flip out, but it wasn't a big deal. Cars will get scratched. Either, you decide to fix them or you don't.

Or, as vicmar90 and possibly eventually myself, you use it as an excuse to get a body kit.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:45 PM
ares
Veteran

you let a friend drive your car!!!

and he dented it!!!

*faints*

Quick Reply: No glove box = Dented passenger door!