Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2004, tire roaring / feathering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Hyru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004, tire roaring / feathering?

GOt my 04 with about 6k miles on it.
Ive noticed when coming to a stop the tires have a low roar to them... after reaidng a bit I came to the conclusion that this has to do with tire feathering.

Went to my local shop today...
theyre telling me that ONLY the 03's are covered through warranty for this problem (because it has a TSB or whatever)... but the 04's are NOT covered..

on top of that, hes telling me that this is just what I should expect from a sport car. Even if they were to change the tiures, I'll only get about 30,000KM's out of them.....

so, my quetsion is... should this roaring/feathering on 04's be covered? Hes saying he contacted Nissan Canada and this is the info they're giving him... any idea?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Zexy

omg, not this **** again.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, deal with it panzy... its a sports car!

hehe j/k but get ready to hear others say it! If they are tired of hearing it, they should make Nissan REALLY fix it!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
samy2000

I had my tires changed at 9K miles on my 04. Go to the dealer and yell at them if not, talk to a lawyer but don't let them screw you over like that.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
iheartZ

kick them in the nuts
Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
cloudy

Originally Posted by iheartZ
kick them in the nuts
lmao
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Kevin3

I went through the same with my '04. Thats the only thing I hate about my Z
Old 07-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Chicken

Originally Posted by Hyru
so, my quetsion is... should this roaring/feathering on 04's be covered? Hes saying he contacted Nissan Canada and this is the info they're giving him... any idea?
I could swear that the '04's are covered, but not for quite as long, though you'd have to ask an '04 owner who got theirs looked at. I know some people with '04's have had work done (for free) based on the '03 TSB.

Honestly, if the issue came up and I was refused service because I had an '04 or '05 and they said the TSB only covered the '03's... I'd beat them and make sure not another Nissan was sold at that dealer that day.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Hyru

so I pretty much have no choice other than to yell at them and have them tell me to deal with it?

Tire feathering / growl should be covered under warranty.
I dont give a **** if its a sports car, it aint supposed to do that.

Any 04 owners have a similar experience?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:18 PM
tacomaboy

oh yeah, bought mine in November 04 and it had definite feathering, they wouldnt replace the tires, but I made them at least rotate them when I took in the car to get the axles and transmission replaced.

Yeah, I traded that car in, and now I have an S2000.

Edit: By the way, after having them rotate the roar was much worse. So, even if it does help the life span of the tires, its annoying as hell..
Old 07-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
Edit: By the way, after having them rotate the roar was much worse. So, even if it does help the life span of the tires, its annoying as hell..
I agree! It drove a little better right after I rotated them, but then the sound got even worse. Even tried rotating fronts to rear, and rear to fronts. Car drove like new for about a thousand miles, but then the noise and rough ride came back!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:14 PM
B-Unit

Set of Coilovers and a SPC rear camber kit then rotating your front tires every 5k miles will fix it. I had feathering, then i did that and the car sounded worlds quieter even with the extremely feathered tires. Once you get a better set of tires on there your feathering will basically disapper.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:20 PM
arejohn

Default It's not normal!!!

When logic and knowledge doesn't work. Try acting like you don't understand the problem. Something is wrong with the brakes. When I try to stop there's this awful noise. It scares me. My pregnant wife will not drive it or even ride in it. If it's normal, let's test a new one. Where in the owners manual does it say this noise while braking is normal? This can't be safe. It is so noisy I can't hear the radio. Ask them to write on the repair order that loud objectional noise while attempting to stop vehicle is normal. Go to service manager, then general manager. In Person. In the morning when cars are lined up for service. In the open where other customers can listen. Keep talking until they give in. Go to service manager, then general manager. In Person. In the morning.

They can say what they want about the tires, but the objectional noise while braking IS NOT NORMAL. THIS NOISE IS NOT NORMAL. IT OCCURS ONLY ON ABNORMAL CARS.

above all- BE POLITE and PROFESSIONAL

Do you have the new and updated tire tread?

Last edited by arejohn; 07-27-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Hyru

the Nissan dealership is pretty much saying that it IS tire feathering and the noise IS because of this.
HOWEVER, Nissan Canada... I guess, is telling them not to do anything about because the car is an 04 and NOT an 03.

quick questions..... as B-Unit said above... if I got a new set of tires, the feathering issue will be resolved? Im not talking about it being resolved because the tire is new... but the problem will disappear and the new tire WONT feather? If this is the case, I have no problem going out and purchasing new tires for the vehicle... but I refuse to do so if the new tires will begin to feather because of the way nissan built the vehicle.

#2. What is this "new and updated tire tread" ?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
arejohn

How can- and I quote from TSB03-006a- "excessive tire ""roar" or "growl mostly when braking at speeds below 30 mph"" be abnormal and corrected under warranty and be normal "roar" or "growl" on an 04?

if A = B and B = C how can A not = C Does NNA think Z buyers are stupid? Mushrooms?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Hyru

exactly...

how the hell does Nissan justify covering 03's... but when it comes to 04's with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM... they dont give a ****?
B.S

Can some 04-05 owners who have had Nissan do the work for them throw in some advice. This is complete B.S
Old 07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Hyru
the Nissan dealership is pretty much saying that it IS tire feathering and the noise IS because of this.
HOWEVER, Nissan Canada... I guess, is telling them not to do anything about because the car is an 04 and NOT an 03.

quick questions..... as B-Unit said above... if I got a new set of tires, the feathering issue will be resolved? Im not talking about it being resolved because the tire is new... but the problem will disappear and the new tire WONT feather? If this is the case, I have no problem going out and purchasing new tires for the vehicle... but I refuse to do so if the new tires will begin to feather because of the way nissan built the vehicle.

#2. What is this "new and updated tire tread" ?

NO, gettin new tires will not take away feathering by any means. It might slow it down a lil bit as the stock potenzas are really weak and wear quickly due to their tread pattern. To fix the problem you need to fix the camber of the tires so they dont toe in soo much.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Hyru

so at my expense.... Set of Coilovers and a SPC rear camber kit to fix the problem?
Old 07-27-2005, 05:41 PM
B-Unit

yeap, i paid 1300 installed for everything and couldnt be happier!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Hyru

does it void warranty?

Quick Reply: 2004, tire roaring / feathering?