Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Fletch69z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a different dealer...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:56 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by BigMike
It all comes down to the fact that the 350Z has the same drive train as every other car in the Nissan line. It might have better suspension (which is questionable), but its basically a 2 seater Altima, Maxima, Frontier, Xterra, etc. Its a fragile car that can't take hard driving
This is uncalled for and there is little truth in those statements. A little research would help.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
BigMike

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
This is uncalled for and there is little truth in those statements. A little research would help.
"Little truth"? In Automobile magazine (I think), the editor even made a joke saying something like Nissan will soon create a single vehicle, which made reference to the using the same platform across the board.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
jackwhale

I certainly don't find the Z to be flimsy or fragile.

The Z actually doesn't have the 'same drive train as every other Nissan'. Clearly there are savings that Nissan takes advantage of by swapping certain drive train components between car models. Every auto maker does this because it is the only way they can stay in business. The design of our front engine-rear drive car is not the same as any of the cars you mentioned. Even if there are parts in common between Nissan models that doesn't lead to the conclusion that they are all inferior.

I've owned Porsches and loved them but it is difficult to compare a Porsche with the Z. The cost alone is 3-4 times the cost of the Z. Porsche owners are older and have probably dreamed of owning a Porsche since they were too young to afford one. Most do not do any of their own mechanical work on their cars and are less likely to put hopped-up gimmicks on a their cars. I.e. a Porsche with 20” wheels.

The comment about Z owners being younger and more interested in making their car flashy--probably true. Although most Porsche owners don't really know much about the mechanics of their cars and don't do any work on them. However I am impressed that when I have attended the Datsun gathering at Mt Shasta each summer (there are also Z owners) that most owners are very interested/knowledgeable regarding the mechanics and design of the car. I guess that one's impression of Nissan owners depends upon where you meet them.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
I'm faucken furious I just got back from METRO NISSAN in Montclair.

So here it is I went in for the grind from 1st to 2nd, so I took a tech for a drive and it did it 2 times out of 5 exactly the time I told them it would.

He went on telling me it was my fault it was grinding, that it was ABUSE and NEGLAGENCE

DAMM i got pist he said the car is not supposed to be driven and abused like that and that I should drive normal and this wouldnt happen.

I told him if I wanted to drive normal I would have bought an Altima.

So they said it was my fault and they wont fix it

What do I do?!!!!

Do what I did and trade it in for an S2000 or some other car of your choice.

Look even if they DO replace the transmission, they are just going to put the exact same type of transmission again... thats what they did to me anyhow...
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Your always mad at someone, Red. Have you considered you may be the problem?
Tell me rat what would you do in my position is this nott frustrating its not like I'm the only one with these problems the tech are retards and yes maybe I do get a little pist but its about the same situation. I just want it fixed.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by The Mike
So he's slammin the car to redline with the tech in the car? I'm guessing he drives the car like that all the time as well and is wondering why its breaking down. In stock form it can't take the constant hard shifting ab(use).. I doubt any car will. Should just install some aftermarket racing clutch, flywheel setup instead. More durable for that purpose anyhow. I'm no expert.. just my 2 cents.

No mike I don't drive the car like this everyday I don't like to and if I did my license would be suspended.

Its just that once or twice a month I get the urge to feel the power it grinds.

I don't drive the car like this all the time but how else am I supposed to duplicate the problem to the tech?

Tell me Mike how
Old 07-29-2005, 10:29 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
Tell me rat what would you do in my position is this nott frustrating its not like I'm the only one with these problems the tech are retards and yes maybe I do get a little pist but its about the same situation. I just want it fixed.
Personally I think you have a right to be mad, and most of the others who arent havent had to go through what you have...

the ones who have had these problems and dont seem to be bothered by them.. well, I dont know, I think at some point you need to get pissed otherwise people (i.e. Nissan) will walk all over you.

If you just want it fixed (and they WILL replace the tranny, not fix it), take it to another dealer, and if that one gives you crap, move to the next one... thats what I did.

But think long and hard about what I say. Youre mad now. What about if (and a good chance when) it goes out again. How mad will you be then.

After I traded in my Z, and got a great trade in on it, I got my S2000, which is just as much fun to drive if not more fun, and as soon as I drove off the lot it was like a huge wieght had been lifted off my shoulders, and I could breathe again.

No more fighting with servicemen or managers or arguing with people on this forum about why I shouldnt have to put up with it...

just my .02 man. Good luck to you, I feel your pain. I really did love my Z... and hated it too.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by NissanZfan
In defense of Redhot, you ***-u-me that he takes it to redline everytime going through the gears. Maybe that is not the case, once in a while if you have the urge to go fast you will take it to redline. In that case the car should operate normally, and should not grind. If taking it to redline is the only way the tech will witness the problem, well then thats what needs to be done. On the z booklet you get from the dealer on the bottom it says shift temptation. Well, hell if you get the temptation then the car should not grind AT ALL. Maybe I don't know what IM talking about and the guy drives the car into the ground, if that is the case you get what you deserve.

Thank you NissanZfan exactly my situation.

and no I dont drive my car into the ground I love my car and I baby it like crazy just sometimes I get the urge and this happens how am I not supposed to get frustrated.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by HOMiEZ
I must say I've been to that dealership and when I showed them my tire feathering and brought over a printout of the TSB they refused me without even looking at the TSB....
Thank you so you know exactly how they are there
Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 AM
cloudy

Originally Posted by PerfZ
I tend to agree. Many more 20-somethings are driving Z's than Porsches and their attitudes are very evident on the forums. I would bet I can nail the age of many forum posters within a couple of years just based on what they post.
And you should not be driving the sh*t out of the car with the dealer rep in the car - maybe once to show them, but not as if you drive like that every day. You drive almost ANY car like that every day and you are going to have issues. FYI the only time mine grinds like that is when "I" miss a shift. And I do drive like that on occasion.
How old am I?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:47 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by PerfZ
snip ... You drive almost ANY car like that every day and you are going to have issues. FYI the only time mine grinds like that is when "I" miss a shift. And I do drive like that on occasion.
Are you implying that my 5th and 6th gear grinds were MY fault and not due to faulty build quality? If so, why did Nissan quickly replace my transmission BOTH times those gears went out?

Wow, I must have been blacked out when I was trying to do a 5kRPM clutch drop in 6th gear from a stop...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
RED HOT Z

you know what guys I was just telling you guys of my situation. If half of you that were flaming on me had my problem I'm pretty sure you would be mad also.

Thank you TacomaBoy for your positive responses and as much as I want to keep my car I think I might go for an M3.

Yes I am young I'm 20 but I'm not about flashy wheels and stereos I'm more about performance and my car looks dead stock from the outside but from the inside its a totally different story.

So don't assume things if you don't know exactly whats going on.

I hope none of you guys have to go through what I am going through but if you do you'll get whats coming to you.

Last edited by RED HOT Z; 07-29-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:07 AM
RED HOT Z

The thing is that I love my car and I want to keep it but what if I do get another tranny and the problem continues. Then what?

I had big plans for this car.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
bpr

Originally Posted by cloudy
How old am I?
Somewhere between 19 and 26; what's easier to guess is your height and weight. 6'2", about 178 pounds, right?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM
mpol99

I only read page 1 & it sounds like most of you guys talking $hit to RED have no clue what you guys are talking about.....

Whatever, I'm not gonna talk $hit back. Sooooo, back on topic....

I am on my 3rd transmission, BOTH times I had the 1 to 2 gear grind. It only did it on ocasion & I have EVERY right in the world to redline my car once in a while with NO GRIND! Yes, there IS a problem with the ****ing transmission!

YES, I redlined it 5 times with the Nissan tech inside my car (didn't grind until like the 4th & 5th try). The guy then told the service rep "the car grinds going into 2nd gear"!!!! I got a new transmission, no questions asked.

Try a different dealership, these guys are ignorant asssholes. Most dealerships in Chicago (I dealt with 2) were great in solving my problem.

EDIT: I am 24 & was 22 (i think) when I drove with the tech demonstrating the problem the 1st time. The second time (different dealership), they simply took my word for it & ordered a new transmission (telling me that it's a common problem)!!!

Last edited by mpol99; 07-29-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:50 AM
spacemn_spiff

It all comes down to the fact that the 350Z has the same drive train as every other car in the Nissan line. It might have better suspension (which is questionable), but its basically a 2 seater Altima, Maxima, Frontier, Xterra, etc. Its a fragile car that can't take hard driving
"Little truth"?
Lets see, where do you I start!

Z suspension, this new suspension setup is so unique that Nissan has already been awarded 14 patents for design and execution, not pending but awarded. So what happens when Porsche wants to use the suspension design, you guessed it right, Nissan gets the money/royalty.

For the Z Nissan uses the FR-L/FM platform. This is Front-engine, Rear-drive, Large and Front Mid-ship. It accounts for products including the Infiniti FX 45/35, M45 Concept, G35 coupe and sedan, Nissan 350Z, Stagea (Japan market wagon), Skyline (Japan market G35), and Fairlady Z (Japan market 350Z). One thing worth thinking about is that the FX is a five-passenger SUV and the 350Z is a two-passenger sports car, yet they fall within the same platform grouping. So platform sharing is more than part sharing, but engineering and development sharing.
So Z is not based on any of front wheel drive car platforms that you mentioned altima and maxima.
And definitely not based on Xterra or Frontier because they are body on chassis platforms, not monocoque.

Since you said you owned 2 Porsches, lets see how much you know about this. Porsche Cayenne shares platform and engines with Volkswagen Touareg. What does this do to Porsche and VW, it helps sharing development costs, engineering resources, and achieve production efficiencies. So is Porsche immune to cost saving measures, no.

So the moral of the story is sharing platform is a auto industry norm. If you dont like it, build you own car. If have money then buy Mclaren F1 or an Enzo or Carrera GT. Funny part is that they may also share platforms with race proven cars.

You might think this as an anomaly, but I am an engineer and a proud owner of the Z and so are many people on this forum.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 07-29-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
Lets see, where do you I start!

Z suspension, this new suspension setup is so unique that Nissan has already been awarded 14 patents for design and execution, not pending but awarded. So what happens when Porsche wants to use the suspension design, you guessed it right, Nissan gets the money/royalty.

Why would Porsche want to use a suspension design that causes premature tire feathering, when they have a better performing setup to begin with!?

I am also an engineer WOOHOO!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
spacemn_spiff

It was just an example, if you didnt get it.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 PM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by mpol99
I only read page 1 & it sounds like most of you guys talking $hit to RED have no clue what you guys are talking about.....

Whatever, I'm not gonna talk $hit back. Sooooo, back on topic....

I am on my 3rd transmission, BOTH times I had the 1 to 2 gear grind. It only did it on ocasion & I have EVERY right in the world to redline my car once in a while with NO GRIND! Yes, there IS a problem with the ****ing transmission!

YES, I redlined it 5 times with the Nissan tech inside my car (didn't grind until like the 4th & 5th try). The guy then told the service rep "the car grinds going into 2nd gear"!!!! I got a new transmission, no questions asked.

Try a different dealership, these guys are ignorant asssholes. Most dealerships in Chicago (I dealt with 2) were great in solving my problem.

EDIT: I am 24 & was 22 (i think) when I drove with the tech demonstrating the problem the 1st time. The second time (different dealership), they simply took my word for it & ordered a new transmission (telling me that it's a common problem)!!!
Thank you Mpoll see thats the kind of response I want none of you know what we have to deal with so you cant relate. So don't talk shat!

Quick Reply: This is BULLSHAT I'm furious!!