Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This is BULLSHAT I'm furious!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 PM
orion350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
If you understood the cause of feathering you would know that the new Bridgestone tires will feather less than the old design because of the additional support on the inside tread blocks.

Can you provide alignment data to support that the combination of new BS tires and proper front wheel alignment will- after 5 or 10k miles- produce roar while braking ?
I really don't feel that I have to defend my knowledge of suspension geometry. Ultimately, I don't feel that its bridgestone's problem. My pilot sports were massacred by 5k as well, I don't see michilen redesigning their pilot sports for me. Nissan needs to step up. period. i'm done with this subject.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:12 PM
arejohn

I will take that as a no.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arejohn
I will take that as a no.

I have seen the new BS tires feather too, it didnt happen as fast, but it happend faster than it should have.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 PM
corsair

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
I'm faucken furious I just got back from METRO NISSAN in Montclair.

So here it is I went in for the grind from 1st to 2nd, so I took a tech for a drive and it did it 2 times out of 5 exactly the time I told them it would.

He went on telling me it was my fault it was grinding, that it was ABUSE and NEGLAGENCE

DAMM i got pist he said the car is not supposed to be driven and abused like that and that I should drive normal and this wouldnt happen.

I told him if I wanted to drive normal I would have bought an Altima.

So they said it was my fault and they wont fix it

What do I do?!!!!

take that pu$$y$hit outside and b!tch slap him.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by corsair
take that pu$$y$hit outside and b!tch slap him.

LOL thats the best answer yet!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
RED HOT Z

^^^ahahahaha
Old 08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
arejohn

I have o5 with 4k miles. Not enough to see feathering.
Frend has o3 with 22k miles. Tires replaced with the new bridgestoneabout 2k miles ago. This is the second time. Too early for feathering and I am checking his Z every saturday.

Let me review the facts as I see them.

Excessive toe-out causes the inside tread of the tires to feather.
Excessive toe-in causes the outside to feather
Both the result of rotational contact patch of the tire forced laterally by the absence of zero degrees toe. Remember toe is the difference between the front of the tire contact patches and the rear of the tire contact patches.

Any time the wheels are not pointed strait ahead, the toe will move from the aligned setting (toe in) to a toe out measurement to adjust for the inside wheel traveling a smaller radius than the outside wheel. This is known as Akerman.

Negative camber causes the inside tires to wear faster than the outside.

Note: Nissan made one change to the alignment settings: the max. toe in is now the preferred setting.

If someone finds fault with the above, please jump in.

For those that might want to continue, I provide my observations, thoughts, and opinions to be taken as such.

Did alignments get changed during shipping? If it did something got bent. I suspect minor correction through adjusting the tie rods is OK but we only check alignment with the car level and pointed strait ahead. A the suspension moves, caster, camber, toe all change- significantly. If we accept that inside feathering is caused by excessive toe out and static toe is toe in, where is this toe out coming from. 1) excessive Ackerman 2) Braking, heavy braking causing suspension bushings to relax or compress or 3) some other suspension defect. If it were a design error, shouldn't we all have it? Eighty thousand plus of us! If it's a part tolerance issue, Nissan would know it by now. And what about the "rod" that "fixes?" the drift issue. What's different about the new rod?

What can we do to reduce excessive feathering?

Tires with greater support for the inside tread blocks. ( Bridgstone updated tires.)
Increase static toe-in. ( Nissan revised specs.)
Tires with more wear resistant compound. (May degrade performance.)
More neutral or positive camber. (May degrade performance.)
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
orion350z

Damn, I just gotta keep coming back to this thread lol...........Well, I just read your last post.......makes sense.........well thought out. At this point, most of us have a better handle on our car's physical make-up than the dealers do. I dunno, I just find people's attitudes on this site to be directly related to their vehicle's mileage You seem pretty gung ho; with every right to be I might add. You car is also pretty cherry. I have a late 02 manufactured 03 with just over 45k miles on it. You haven't even had time to stew grasshopper My car's been in and out of nissan dealerships so much that my picture is probably up in the service manager's office with a big black X through it. I've heard the explanations from nissan corporate, as well as the dealerships. I've been promised over and over again that "this time, we'll make it right!" These days, when I hear that line, I take a few steps back, analyze, and say to myself........"uh huh......sure ya will." When promises are broken numerous times, many of us lose faith that things will work out.

Again, keep a close eye on your bud's tires. I already went through that drill. For me, it was far from successful. For him, maybe he'll be one of the lucky ones. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:13 PM
350Zync

lol. I know exactly what you mean red. Sometimes when I shift , I get it caught from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd. I think that the real problem is that you're here on earth, but your car at times wants you to drive like your on the road in lala land.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:39 PM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by 350Zync
lol. I know exactly what you mean red. Sometimes when I shift , I get it caught from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd. I think that the real problem is that you're here on earth, but your car at times wants you to drive like your on the road in lala land.

hahaha
Old 08-01-2005, 11:51 PM
03FIDDYZ

cars are ment to go to the redline thats why they have a redline...there isnt anything that says DONT GO TO RED LINE.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:00 AM
RED HOT Z

thank you fiddy