2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2nd gear too sexy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 10:10 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd gear too sexy?

so Im riding along and think, lets take off the VDC and have some fun.

at a stoplight, I figure Ill give it some power, go in 1st at a strong pace but not a launch, I dont burn my clutch during joyriding. shift to second and begin the turn. hit the pedal down pretty hard and boom, the back end is drifting(wheres this understeer I keep hearing about?) I have some knowledge of driving a car like this and turn the fronts to slide the car sideways with the tail, pointing in the direction I eventually want to go. but as the far curb comes closer I begin to worry that Im not slowing down...

finally to my complete dismay I strike the curb with both wheels and here CRACK from the back axle.

HAHA jk, no I would have cried, I gave up on the drift and turned the wheels so I could modulate the turn with the throttle, which worked as planned tho it was a less than graceful ride.

so anyway, can a car have too much power? Im having a hard time doing turns without the backend just stepping out completely.

I continue to find the limits, but damn... watch out there boys and girls, this cars a beast, and if you dont think itll drift then you havent tried.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:28 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default I got the model E

Will i miss the VDC???? I am getting the model E without it. Sounds more fun without it but am I thinking wrong?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:09 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I got the model E

Originally posted by zland
Will i miss the VDC???? I am getting the model E without it. Sounds more fun without it but am I thinking wrong?
Don't think so. The TCS is enough for me, it keeps me out of trouble when its slick, but doesn't drive the car for me.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:50 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Re: I got the model E

Originally posted by robbyn
Don't think so. The TCS is enough for me, it keeps me out of trouble when its slick, but doesn't drive the car for me.
I agree, for normal or spirited driving you will be ok with the TCS, and if you go to the track or Autox you will want the off anyway because they become intusive when driving at the limit.

If you haven't tried autox you should this car is so much fun to toss around.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:33 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youll be fine if you leave your spirited driving to the wide open areas, I wanted the back end to step out, I just didnt realize how much it was going to. Im also not used to having a car with LSD, ussually only one tire spins, and the other stays even, so the outside tire thats solid on the ground offers a good bit of resistance and control.

not so with the Z. that back end runs like its on ice.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:09 AM
rep15

I live in the Seattle area and we are well-versed in wet road conditions here. I have had the VDC kick in several times, always in second gear, while accelerating and turning with slick conditions. When the VDC kicks in the car responds immediately and straightens out just when you realize a problem has been created.

Yes, it momentarily takes over control of the car. In that split second, though, help was needed. Could I have recovered without hitting something and ruining my car? Probably yes, but possibly no. It is not the unexpected loss of control with space to spare that is important it is the unexpected problem in traffic with cars all around. The VDC does it like a very experienced driver but more quickly and definitively. It also is NEVER distracted. What the VDC does for me in this type of road condition is allow me to drive and not drive in fear of losing the rear traction and spinning into something hard that will increase my insurance rate (driving within reason of course).

If you want to get the maximum performance out of the car on good road surfaces and safe conditions, the VDC-off switch was created - really it is the best of both worlds. I am very pleased that I opted for the performance model rather than the enthusiast I had originally thought wanted.

Last edited by rep15; 12-10-2002 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:05 AM
wildone_106

Are all u Seattle Z owners microsoft geeks? Or do they all drive bimmers?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:17 AM
rep15

I am not a Microsoft geek. I am a dentist in Redmond. I torture Microsoft geeks! (I get back at them for all the bugs I have found in the software).

Disclaimer - this was not intended to be derogatory toward the Microsoft Corporation or any employee in particular (I know where my bread is buttered)