Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This gives me pause for concern...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 06:42 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy This gives me pause for concern...

At less than 27 grand, the 350Z is a helluva car. At $35,000, I'm thinking I'd rather beg a Chevy dealer to cut me a sweetheart deal on a Vette. I should be gaga for this thing, but I'm not. Perhaps because the expectation of brilliance isn't quite realized. The rear flanks are gorgeous, but the rectangular backup-light cluster and the front grille don't fit, and an aggressive rev limiter steps in abruptly if one strays over the redline. The handling is crisp at turn-in, but then the Z resolutely plows the front end, forgoing any notion of an agile, tossable car. Some sedans are better balanced. I expect more from a sports car. — Larry Webster
I sure as hell DID NOT want to hear that. F the performance data. Is it going to feel like a sports car? It appears that only three or four members here are actually concerned about that aspect.

I'm not a Z freak. I don't care about "Z heritage" or "Z mystique". I ordered this car in January on looks alone and a perceived performance bargain. I will not take delivery if it does not meet my expectations during the test drive AND reviews of the handling dynamics continue in this manner. Go fast parts can fix 0-60 times. I for one do not want to have to immediately starting f'ing with the suspension geometry that should be right in the first place on a SPORTS CAR. I WILL NOT give in just because "it's a Z".
Old 06-26-2002, 07:17 PM
ColecatZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all cars are tuned to understeer from the factory, as a safety option.

If you read the article the way I read it, it seems to be that the 350Z, tends to over steer at lower speeds and only starts "pushing" a little at speed on aggressive turns.

I'm perfectly happy with that......should keep more ppl safe. I will be doing suspension upgrades anyway so I could care less. I just want a good platform to build on. You can also correct the issue and help induce oversteer by changing your wheel/tire setup if you don't want to get into the suspension right away......just an idea

Living in Frisco....have you seen any progress on Guntering? (if you've seen it at all)
Old 06-26-2002, 07:21 PM
justwant1

Not everyone is going to love the Z. Not everyone loves the Boxster or the Vette, but Nissan is living up to what they have promised a performance car with 280+ hp for under 30 grand!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:55 PM
TCL

The plowing comment would concern me if I hadn't already heard one driver's experience that contradicted this. There are even some contradictions within the article. At this point I will wait for more reviews before forming a conclusion.

Last edited by TCL; 06-26-2002 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by TCL
The plowing comment would concern me if I hadn't already heard one driver's experience that contradicted this. There are even some contradictions within the article. At this point I will wait for more reviews before forming a conclusion.
Yes, TCL i see the contradictions too. The only logical and reasonable thing for us to do now, is sit and wait for final #s and Mag tests of production cars up against the intended competition.

It's a leap of faith I know, but its all we can do.