2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2003 350Z Shopping - Good deal? ..and advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:02 PM
siznimper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 350Z Shopping - Good deal? ..and advice

Hey-

Shopping for a used 350Z - the problem is, I am in love with Brickyard, and it's difficult to find.

I found one and the specs are as follows-

2003 Brickyard/Black leather
26k miles
I THINK it's touring, but its not stated, and it DOES have a rear spoiler.
Auto Tranny
Bose
Navigation

26k price - I am trying to get them down off of this, but as I said, I love the color and can't find a cheapie in Brickyard.

Questions-
1- Is this a good price (I dont think 26k is) but what WOULD be a good price?
2- Feathering - a deal breaker, or just get it and have it aligned right away?
3- How do you tell if it's touring with a spoiler added (and not Track)
4- Navigation - is it DVD based/updateable?
5- I understand the fronts and rears are different sizes - on the G35coupe, they say you cant rotate the tires - is this true on the Z?
6- What were the major changes between 03, 04, and 05? The 03 to 04 changes I read about included something about a knee pad, and satellite wiring - anything else?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

track model will not have leather seats or come in auto or have bose

track model will have different wheels and brembo brakes - it's easy to tell the track model apart

I don't think 26000 for touring auto and navigation sounds too bad. I mean, when it was new it probably sold out the door for $33000. That's a car that will probably sell really well, especially since that color is now rare.

there's no major differences between the 3 years

biggest difference is the later 2004 models have a revised suspension. Otherwise it's just little things like seat belt extenders, knee pad on console, different dash cubby door design, sunvisor extenders, slightly wider side mirrors, revised ECU. The 2005 has a few more things in that vein, again revised ECU. The 2004 has a revised master brake cylinder, but that might be just for the track model - not sure.

the fronts on most Z's are 225mm wide in front and rear are 235mm wide. The track model has 225mm front and 245 rear.

Seems all year model Z's have feathering, but some people don't have it or some are worse than others at least. So don't worry about it, just get it aligned. The 2003 is probably the worst though - so get alignment ASAP - covered under warrenty now

Last edited by sentry65; 08-09-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:19 AM
siznimper

Thanks Sentry -

So if this has 7 spoke wheels and a spoiler, is this a touring model with upgrades? Or were the 7 spokes (look like 18s) standard with touring models?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by siznimper
Thanks Sentry -

So if this has 7 spoke wheels and a spoiler, is this a touring model with upgrades? Or were the 7 spokes (look like 18s) standard with touring models?

touring AT's come standard with the 7 spoke 17" inch wheels vice versa for the MT's Tourings.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:18 AM
siznimper

I've got the seller to 25,300 on this car. I think I may pull the trigger.

Was the spoiler standard or was that an option added?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're looking at a high demand color...

expect to pay more.

I would walk around the car a few times, get down on your knees, and look very closely all around for scratches and chips. If the paint is not in excellent condition, you can bargain them down. If they don't want to give you a discount for paint chips and scrapes, walk.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
sentry65
the burninator

the car is used, you gotta expect SOME paint chips - especially on a Z

25300 sounds KILLER to me IMO for what you're getting. Like I said, the owner probably paid 33000 just 2-3 years ago and it's virtually the same car as the 2005

spoiler was an added option. Check for a front plastic underspoiler as well just under the front bumper - it's subtle but that's a $58 extra too

check for tire feathering, look for uneven tire wear on the inside of the tires, especially the fronts. Maybe turn the wheels hard to see them easier.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if thats the only color you will take than, you dont have much of a choice for price huh. Kind of a rarer color for the Z. That exact car blue books for private party sale at 24,100. Personally, I would not pay any extra just because it is brickyard in color, but thats just me. Not a big fan of the purple anyways. Ive seen people lately getting 2003 Track models with around 15-17k miles for 24,900$. That model when it first came out was around 35k$. I guess it comes down to what you really want. Good luck and if you get it, you will love the ride. BEN
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

no bluebook value is $25330

it comes with navigation remember?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
bstansbu

Originally Posted by sentry65
no bluebook value is $25330

it comes with navigation remember?
Blue book value will be different on every site you go to. Kelly blue books this exact car with Navi and in good condition at 24,100$, private seller value, trade in will be around 21000, im guessing. BEN
Old 08-10-2005, 04:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hmm ok, I put down Excellent condition, not good condition
Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 PM
bstansbu

Originally Posted by sentry65
hmm ok, I put down Excellent condition, not good condition
oh, ok!! I always just choose good condition when blue booking cars that are 2 years old or older, because in my experience, a car with 2 years of driving the streets and 25k+miles has to have a little bit of wear. I save the excellent rating for used cars that are 6 months to about a year old with like 3-9k miles. Of course every car is different, Im just assuming that a 2 year old car does not shine like it just came out of the show room and doesnt still smell like new leather like the first day you picked it up. I think NADA tend to book cars really high. If I ever sell my Z, you can bet I will be qouting their book value for my car to a potential buyer, lol hahaha
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 AM
Qbrozen

miles hurt it.
nav only adds $700 to the value.
I usually see automatics cheaper than manuals ... not surprising on a sportscar.

If you tried to trade this car in, the dealer could not care less that its "brickyard." I'm betting, best case scenario, it would get hit with $20K trade-in. You obviously love the car, so the seller has just been waiting and praying for you to come along. To anyone else buying a used Z, this is a $23K car, tops.

Oh, by the way, Kelly is total crap 99% of the time, but, yes, Excellent condition is almost NEVER seen or used. A super clean used car is Good ... most with normal wear and tear are Fair. If you really ever want to know what your car is worth, you have 2 choices, go to Galves.com and pay the fee to use their online system. Or go to Edmunds.com and go to the REal-World Trade-In Values board where a gentleman by the name of Terry will be glad to help you out with numbers based on dealer auctions (although he's not the quickest responder, so you have to be patient).

Last edited by Qbrozen; 08-11-2005 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
siznimper

Well, checked out the first one yesterday - drove nicely, good shape.

Only issues I saw were paint bubbling/wear on the nose (normal, from what I hear, but I am hoping its not the case on the other one)

Don't really know how to check for feathering or what to look for, but it had the Potenza's on it, so I guess those are the original tires.

Any word on the tire rotation question? Can they be rotated L-R?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Fletch69z

You could rotate them left to right but then your directional tread would be facing the wrong way, I think. Plus, if it's an upper model it will have LSD and probably have even wear any ways so rotating won't do a whole lot.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Qbrozen

Well, checked out the first one yesterday - drove nicely, good shape.

Only issues I saw were paint bubbling/wear on the nose (normal, from what I hear, but I am hoping its not the case on the other one)

Don't really know how to check for feathering or what to look for, but it had the Potenza's on it, so I guess those are the original tires.

Any word on the tire rotation question? Can they be rotated L-R?
Yes, they can be rotated ... but that involves removing them from the rims.

by the way, what "other" one? I only saw one car mentioned in the thread. unless i'm going blind ... which is a distinct possibility.

By the way, did you see the recent thread from someone looking at an Enthusiast Brickyard for $20K? And a black Touring for $22K? Both with far less miles than this one you are looking at. I know you want this color with these options, but is it worth OVERpaying?

Last edited by Qbrozen; 08-11-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:34 PM
siznimper

There are two that I am looking at, both with shockingly similar specs.

I found a third today - price - 21k mileage 23k
Touring, Auto, Brickyard. Only difference is no navigation

Problem - its halfway across the country, and its a private party instead of a dealership.

I realize that 25k is probably a bit high for this car...21k seems a bit low actually....but would you risk a private party cross country purchase just to save essentially 3000/3500 bucks?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
siznimper

Would a car coming from Missouri have any issues with Winter wear? Dont know enough about the climate...maybe its worth some $$ to buy the one that has been from Southern California its whole life.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Qbrozen

Would a car coming from Missouri have any issues with Winter wear? Dont know enough about the climate...maybe its worth some $$ to buy the one that has been from Southern California its whole life.
not really sure. The big question is if they use salt on the roads.

BUT, given the relative newness of the car, this really wouldn't worry me at this point in its life.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:21 PM
siznimper

Wanted to say thanks to all who chimed in - I'm now the proud owner of an 03 Brickyard 5AT Touring. Got an excellent deal on it and just drove into the garage after my personally facilitated 2000 mile delivery - I flew to St. Louis and bought it.

It is, as one would expect, not without a handful of the 03 problems, but they are all fixable, and It'd be tough for me to be happier (unless someone would have sold me a 06 Interlagos Fire at 21k )

Quick Reply: 2003 350Z Shopping - Good deal? ..and advice