Sponsored by:

TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:42 AM
montree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice

Peeps,

Yesterday, I tried to park my Z next to a curb and (BAM!!!), I scraped something with my front bumper. I was an idiot and didn't pay attention to how close I was to the curb. Anyways, I tried to back out because I couldn't keep moving forward. The noise that it made was HORRIBLE!

When I got ouf of the car to take a look, I found that I had put a rash on my nice wheels and pulled the bumper off the right side. I'm soooo peeved at myself right now!

So I need some advice. I definitely need to get this repaired so I'm going two options:

1. Get a new standard Bumper
2. Go for a new look with a kit

I'm probably going to get screwed by going with the standard bumper in terms of price when I take it to the dealership. If it's too much, I figure I would just buy a whole damn kit. I'm kind of tight on budget too....Must be because of the gas prices.

Any advice on what you would do in me situation?

Thanks guys!

- One sad Z owner.

Last edited by montree; 08-21-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Clapton9286

Oi...i've had nightmares of what you experienced! Damn those blindspots, damn them!

Anyway..I think its a matter of whats right for you. I agree, gas has hit my wallet pretty friggin hard as of late (I refuse to budge on the premium), so cost may be a large factor. However..have you been looking at any kits, or is this just a "lesser of two evils" thing?

I suggest going for whatever you feel looks good to you. Like myself..I'd never get an outlandish kit..but if something came along (like that Tommykaira, omg), Id get it. A little incident like yours would also help the case..(and add that to bugs and rocks who just love our cars!)

Dylan
Old 08-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Z23

Default look at it as an opportunity. . .

get a kit. . .
Old 08-21-2005, 06:42 AM
montree

Any ideas on how much I'm looking at for a new standard bumper and installed by the dealership? I think that might be the first thing I need to evaluate....
Old 08-21-2005, 06:52 AM
SimplyJ

Originally Posted by montree
Any ideas on how much I'm looking at for a new standard bumper and installed by the dealership? I think that might be the first thing I need to evaluate....
a new bumper is about $285 unpainted. Add on about 300-400 for paint and installation.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
DZ2005

Install it yourself, save some cash......they rip you off for everything possible. It can't be that hard, I bet I could figure it out.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:50 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Removing and installing a bumber is ridiculously easy. You do not even need to jack up the car. You will not believe it.

A new stock one is only $240 (shop around) and a good paint job another $2-300.

Still a lot of money for some....but you'll prob never do that again.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:58 AM
MADDOG`

Exclamation New Front Bumper

I found that I had put a rash on my nice wheels and pulled the bumper off the right side. I'm soooo peeved at myself right now!

So I need some advice. I definitely need to get this repaired so I'm going two options:

Dayum...sorry for your troubles. Guess we gotta be careful around those curbs and parking lots, eh?

Go urethane for sure. Much more durable than fiberglass. I have a gash/small hole in my stock unit and did quite a bit of searching for a new front fascia along the lines of the JDM unit. However, I wanted a bit more cleaner look with no front emblem and a molded lip. Finally found one. Pics are below. These units are finally available, with pre-production design and fitting completed. If you are interested in the info on where to buy/contact info, etc...PM me.
Attached Thumbnails TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice-kurumaz-bumper2.jpg   TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice-kurumaz-bumper4.jpg   TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice-kurumaz-bumper5.jpg   TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice-kurumaz-bumper6.jpg   TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice-kurumaz-fascia-1.jpg  

Old 08-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Queens 350z

Dam sorry to hear what happened. I fear of that! And here in NYC i have potholes to worry about also.
I would say get a kit but remember that will make the front even lower! So you really better watch out how and where you park. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 AM
ZinFla

i had someone hit my bumper b4, the new bumper plus paint and install etc came out to around 880. just to give you an idea you can get a replica kit for a few hundred and install it yourself and have em paint it, or you could just get a nismo replica front bumper and have that put on and painted, costs a little less probly and then you have something different bout your car (well given that its nismo it wont be that different as a million ppl on here have the nismo bodykit.) but itll be diff than stock.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Zcool

Your insurance company should cover the cost (less deductible) for repair of the damage. I did the same thing and used the insurance money to cover a major portion of the additional cost of a Sitllen Series 1 custom front end.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:52 PM
FairladyZ

Nismo front bumper!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:21 AM
maximapowr

i paid $180 for a brand new stock bumper cover, had my body guy shoot it for $250 and put it on myself. I can't believe they charged you $880 for that...twice as much
Old 08-22-2005, 04:06 AM
donricouga

with the money mailer coupons, you should be able to get an OEM front bumper for around $200. If your local nissan dealer does paint work, try negotiating with them. I got them to paint my bumper for around $160 when i had a simliar incident.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:18 AM
AZZGUY

Default Watch your parking!

Peeps,

Yesterday, I tried to park my Z next to a curb and (BAM!!!), I scraped something with my front bumper. I was an idiot and didn't pay attention to how close I was to the curb. Anyways, I tried to back out because I couldn't keep moving forward. The noise that it made was HORRIBLE!

When I got ouf of the car to take a look, I found that I had put a rash on my nice wheels and pulled the bumper off the right side. I'm soooo peeved at myself right now!

I'm probably going to get screwed by going with the standard bumper in terms of price when I take it to the dealership. If it's too much, I figure I would just buy a whole damn kit. I'm kind of tight on budget too....Must be because of the gas prices.

Thanks guys!

- One sad Z owner.
Sorry - I know that scraping feeling! So far - havent ripped anything off. I now try to park at least one foot from the curb - sometimes I end up 2 and 1/2 feet from the curb! But - remember we have a shorter car and you can park much further back than you think . Also - in a shopping center it's much easier to find the thing if the rear sticks out at least as far as the other cars.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ripped off my front bumper last night... got it back on... no scratches at all was supprized...

New Factory Bumper is now about $250... They have gone up in price... MSRP is like 320 or something like that...

We have the Aerosync N-Spec bumepr in stock as well...
Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by Z23
get a kit. . .
+1
Old 08-22-2005, 10:03 AM
sprmario

Same thing basically happened to me after about 4 months. I have a 6 inch tear (literally tear of the bumper) just in front of the driver side wheel just below where the bumper meets up w/ the rest of the car. I haven't had it repaired yet. I am going to wait another few months and get a new bumper and put on a clearbra at the same time. The rock chips on this paint are ridiculous. I had the front aero deflector below the bumper and i think this is what caught on the curb when I backed up. I'll have that removed when I get a new bumper.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
BRZ3303

Originally Posted by maximapowr
i paid $180 for a brand new stock bumper cover, had my body guy shoot it for $250 and put it on myself. I can't believe they charged you $880 for that...twice as much
Where did you find a OEM front bumper for that cheap?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Go for a new look with a kit.

Quick Reply: TORE off my bumper when Parking...need some Advice