Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how do you disable vdc completly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:16 AM
perrin21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find this harness, my car is a jap import 03 with VDC but i can see only two harnesses. One is small and black and contains a fuse, tried that no joy. And the other is a white one with lots of wires, looks like going to seat switches. As you can see im hardly an electrician lol but a pic would be a great help. Thanks.. I am happy to report my findings once its done for those who don't wish to try it on their own cars.

Thanks all
Old 01-25-2006, 05:30 AM
racin

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
Heres a little interesting story maybe someone can shed light on, i was coming around a long high speed corner, probably round 50, then i saw up ahead an obstruction, so i started to break, then all of a sudden the rear of the car kinda kicked out and then straightened back in. This was with VDC and tCs on i pulled a WTF! it was pretty scary! it happened really fast, so fast i didnt have time to start countersteer, but like i said the back whipped back randomly and then i continuted to break. no vdc lights, no potholes, smooth road, maybe the brake bias?
You hit the brakes in mid turn, which is a no-no at speed. This causes the back end to get light as the weight is transferred forward. That makes it easier for the rear of the car to lose traction, and that alone, or coupled with some other factor, like ruts in the pavement, or water/oil, or sand, may have helped the back of the car lose what rear grip was left, causing the back to step out. VDC may have saved you in that case by unlocking a rear wheel, or some other counter-measure which brought the car back on line. Probably a good thing you were using it...
Old 01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racin
You hit the brakes in mid turn, which is a no-no at speed. This causes the back end to get light as the weight is transferred forward. That makes it easier for the rear of the car to lose traction, and that alone, or coupled with some other factor, like ruts in the pavement, or water/oil, or sand, may have helped the back of the car lose what rear grip was left, causing the back to step out. VDC may have saved you in that case by unlocking a rear wheel, or some other counter-measure which brought the car back on line. Probably a good thing you were using it...
well this is the thing, i am very familiar with my vehicle,i know when it wants to break out, i know how to shift its weight around, and i know how to get ehr to do what i want. when i applied the brakes, i was going WELL below the handling limits of the car, i was shocked to feel this movement on my rear end because it was dry out, perfect smooth corner, it was controlled braking, not like slamming on them, so i guess it just stunned me, i was WTF all ride home. anyways perhaps it was soemthing that slipped my eyes, wtvr it was thank you VDC
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
NissanBlack350Z

it helps when the time is needed
Old 01-26-2006, 03:25 AM
perrin21

Exclamation How To Do It

ok all done it and its Fab, it makes the car the car it always should have been .

Here is how to do it, Remove the center console and look down on the floor right by the back of the shifter (under the ashtray) and you will see a small black sensor partially obscured by the carpet. Its quite small and screwed down using 2 screws.
Simply unplug the wiring harness connected into it and then put it all back together leaving it out. There you go a fab car is born. You will see the VDC light and the slip light on on the dash.

The steering is quicker and the car will no longer fight you through bends.
The Throttle is so much more responsive you wouldn't believe the difference. The car looses its asthmatic feel and revs really freely. It feels like it has more HP's available sooner.
This should also improve brake pad wear, fuel consumption because you are no longer driving everywhere with your brakes on. Ive also noticed its faster in every gear and should have improved the 0-60 time somewhat as the electronic nanny is now gone. The car feels lighter and more nimble through the bends. WOW not bad for a newbie, Hiya all by the way im Mark :-)

My only regret is that i didn't do this sooner . The car is now brilliant, if im honest i was a little dissapointed before because im an experienced driver and always felt the car had more to offer and could comunicate better. This is the solution ive been waiting for. Hope you all like the new lease of life this brings your Z's.

Just be aware that if you crash it its your fault, be careful and safe driving. :-)
Old 01-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by perrin21
ok all done it and its Fab, it makes the car the car it always should have been .

Here is how to do it, Remove the center console and look down on the floor right by the back of the shifter (under the ashtray) and you will see a small black sensor partially obscured by the carpet. Its quite small and screwed down using 2 screws.
Simply unplug the wiring harness connected into it and then put it all back together leaving it out. There you go a fab car is born. You will see the VDC light and the slip light on on the dash.

The Throttle is so much more responsive you wouldn't believe the difference. The car looses its asthmatic feel and revs really freely. It feels like it has more HP's available sooner.
This should also improve brake pad wear, fuel consumption because you are no longer driving everywhere with your brakes on. Ive also noticed its faster in every gear and should have improved the 0-60 time somewhat as the electronic nanny is now gone. The car feels lighter and more nimble through the bends. WOW not bad for a newbie, Hiya all by the way im Mark :-)

My only regret is that i didn't do this sooner . The car is now brilliant, if im honest i was a little dissapointed before because im an experienced driver and always felt the car had more to offer and could comunicate better. This is the solution ive been waiting for. Hope you all like the new lease of life this brings your Z's.

Just be aware that if you crash it its your fault, be careful and safe driving. :-)

mate... do you have a picture of where and which wire is to be disconnected?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:34 AM
racin

I hear it also makes you LIKE to eat your vegetables, takes Bald Eagles off of the endangered list, helps Superman overcome his problem with Kriptonite, and makes it so that you CAN believe it's not butter...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by racin
I hear it also makes you LIKE to eat your vegetables, takes Bald Eagles off of the endangered list, helps Superman overcome his problem with Kriptonite, and makes it so that you CAN believe it's not butter...
Ahaha !

Good one.

I have to try that VDC more-OFF than OFF thing this summer. A couple ¼ mile runs and a few track laps with data acquisition should remove the “feel” factor from the equation and give us some real data.

I’m probably a pretty clumsy driver ‘cuz the Z doesn’t feel so handicapped by the VDC. Even when it’s ON, it let’s you have some “clean” fun. It hates opposite locks of course, but still lets the rear end works.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:04 AM
perrin21

Originally Posted by jvanquish
mate... do you have a picture of where and which wire is to be disconnected?
Sorry, got no pic but its really easy to see, its about the size of a box of matches the sensor and its right next to the back of the shifter attatched to the floor, Its just a small siring harness that you need to disconnect, The sensor says Bosche on it. And for all those non believers, try it, it really is noticable improvement. Ive never done a modification (paid or not) thats been so noticeable all around. And its free and it only takes 5 mins and its 100% reversable. Can't really see what anyone has to loose in trying out for themselves.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:06 AM
perrin21

Originally Posted by Kolia
Ahaha !

Good one.

I have to try that VDC more-OFF than OFF thing this summer. A couple ¼ mile runs and a few track laps with data acquisition should remove the “feel” factor from the equation and give us some real data.

I’m probably a pretty clumsy driver ‘cuz the Z doesn’t feel so handicapped by the VDC. Even when it’s ON, it let’s you have some “clean” fun. It hates opposite locks of course, but still lets the rear end works.
It fixes all that in the words of the UK vauxhall advert, its a Phenomenon hehehe
Old 01-27-2006, 03:11 AM
perrin21

Been out for a drive yesterday, ran the tank dry. I can't believe how much better the car is, its really made it so much better. The only way to describe it now is its like a 300BHP Go kart. 350Z Unplugged (Wicked)
Old 01-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Been out for a drive yesterday, ran the tank dry. I can't believe how much better the car is, its really made it so much better. The only way to describe it now is its like a 300BHP Go kart. 350Z Unplugged (Wicked)
sick i'll definately try it but it is cold and slippery here... maybe in a couple months
Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 AM
350Z007

This thread is so long, excuse me if this has been answered, but is this true for the 06 as well? I'd like to try it, this weekend. The 06 center console is a little different with the seat heater buttons right behind the shifter and a cup holder instead of the ash tray/change tray. Will the little box still be located in the same place?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:03 AM
FatBoy1

Originally Posted by 350Z007
This thread is so long, excuse me if this has been answered, but is this true for the 06 as well? I'd like to try it, this weekend. The 06 center console is a little different with the seat heater buttons right behind the shifter and a cup holder instead of the ash tray/change tray. Will the little box still be located in the same place?
Look and see!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
laswyguy

Are you saying that un-plugged yaw sensor runs evern stronger/faster than simply a disenaged/off, because I can notice a big difference from just pusing the disenage button.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:27 PM
perrin21

Originally Posted by laswyguy
Are you saying that un-plugged yaw sensor runs evern stronger/faster than simply a disenaged/off, because I can notice a big difference from just pusing the disenage button.
Yes when pressing the button it only partially disengages VDC. Once the sensor is unplugged its totally different, steering is far quicker to respond and the whole car behaves as you would expect it to. I always felt the car could offer more for advanced drivers and heres the proof, its fab now. You can now catch slides beautifully and although i know i shouldn't have, i tried my car on the motorway here in the uk over the weekend at 155 and it is so much more stable at speed. It also feels quicker too. Id love to know if this has had any power improvements on a rolling road or changed the torque curve as the throttle is so much more lively now in every gear. Had my first tank of fuel through the car since disconnecting the sensor, 297miles to full tank, thats down significantly but the new lease of life its brought the car to is worth every penny.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
cupcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are talking limit behavior here right?

It doesn't make sense that one would notice changes in power and steering response at normal driving speeds unless there is something wrong with the system.

The Base model has neither TCS or VDC and the Enthusiast only has TCS (which is completely disabled at the push of the button unlike VDC) and drivers have not come away from these cars saying "Hey these Base and Enthusiast models sure beat a Track or Touring model in steering response"
Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 AM
perrin21

Originally Posted by cupcar
We are talking limit behavior here right?

It doesn't make sense that one would notice changes in power and steering response at normal driving speeds unless there is something wrong with the system.

The Base model has neither TCS or VDC and the Enthusiast only has TCS (which is completely disabled at the push of the button unlike VDC) and drivers have not come away from these cars saying "Hey these Base and Enthusiast models sure beat a Track or Touring model in steering response"
there is a difference at all speeds in steering response. Try it for yourself and see, you can always plug it back in and it only takes 5 mins. If like me you feel that cars are constantly being bogged down with computers and driver aids that dilute the raw pleasure of just driving then give it a shot. However if you have a heavy foot or are just a little bit of a nervous driver its probably not for you. I like to have full control over everything and like to know that that really cool looking powerslide around the roundabout was all me and not some computer. Likewise i like to be able to feel everything through the wheel and throttle and with this minor modification i now can. I moved from a BBR 275 BHP Mini cooper S and the 350z has always felt too assisted through the corners and the throttle has always felt asthmatic. This fixes both those shortcomings but the trade off is that a less experienced driver might spin out and hit something. Guess us Brits just have hairy chests. I live 2 miles from the TVR factory here and those cars are for people who like full blooded driving hehe. Over here automatics are for the elderly lol.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 AM
Kolia

there is a difference at all speeds in steering response. Try it for yourself and see, you can always plug it back in and it only takes 5 mins. If like me you feel that cars are constantly being bogged down with computers and driver aids that dilute the raw pleasure of just driving then give it a shot. However if you have a heavy foot or are just a little bit of a nervous driver its probably not for you. I like to have full control over everything and like to know that that really cool looking powerslide around the roundabout was all me and not some computer. Likewise i like to be able to feel everything through the wheel and throttle and with this minor modification i now can. I moved from a BBR 275 BHP Mini cooper S and the 350z has always felt too assisted through the corners and the throttle has always felt asthmatic. This fixes both those shortcomings but the trade off is that a less experienced driver might spin out and hit something. Guess us Brits just have hairy chests. I live 2 miles from the TVR factory here and those cars are for people who like full blooded driving hehe. Over here automatics are for the elderly lol.
You know what a placebo effect is? Be weary of it…

I’m glad you’re falling in love with your car all over again. But I suspect it has a lot to do with your perception.

The change in steering response is most probably due to the variable power steering being shutdown by the mod. So, if you feel the car is responding quicker, it might just be ‘cuz the power steering is boosting as much as it can.

Which is not so good at speed…

Last edited by Kolia; 01-31-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 AM
racin

The hysteria surrounding this is unbelievable, as are the purported claims. Thank you, Kolia, for being one of the voices of reason...

Quick Reply: how do you disable vdc completly?