2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you disable vdc completly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:11 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granted, I don't track my car and rarely go around a curve fast enough to make the tires squeal. I am a bit interested in the claims, though, of faster steering and throttle response with the system completely shut down, so I'll probably unplug it sometime and see if I feel a difference or not, then decide if I want to make a switch. 99% of the time I keep VDC on.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Snsitiv350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

OK, so I've been watching this thread for a long time, and now I have something to add;

I have a 2003 Touring model that I autocross in B-Stock. I've made zero mods to it other than comp tires and air filter. Although it has won at many events (yes, it is the auto tranny), I did have one nasty off-course excursion. I've looked at many potential causes (the rear "hooked up" unexpectedly several cones deep in a wide-open-throttle slalom, giving the car massive understeer) and wondered if this could be part of the problem. FYI; it was a 5 cone slalom at course exit, just after a long sweeper. The rev-limiter was bouncing after the 2nd cone at the top of 2nd gear.

I do NOT have VDC in the car (curious for a Touring model???). I pulled the console today based on this thread to make sure that no g-force box was present (did all models have a VDC-off button?). It wasn't, that I could see anywhere. I'd thought only the Base model did not have a VDC, so what gives? Additionally, do you guys think this could have caused my problem?

Just so you know, the car is back in pristine condition, having done about 10k in suspension and body damage. I still can't get the guys to drop the "Luke Duke" nickname though. The car hit a slight incline and sailed though air, landing on the highway into oncomming traffic, no additional crashes though. I am willing to put this down to driver error, but I went though that slalom 4 times in previous runs without this suprise. The in-car vid was distroyed, so don't ask...
Old 03-09-2006, 03:52 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Kolia
You know what a placebo effect is? Be weary of it…
Naw... I disconnected the VDC and I had a permanent erection I finally had to reconnect the VDC cause I had to go out in public.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Snsitiv350Z
OK, so I've been watching this thread for a long time, and now I have something to add;

I have a 2003 Touring model that I autocross in B-Stock. I've made zero mods to it other than comp tires and air filter. Although it has won at many events (yes, it is the auto tranny), I did have one nasty off-course excursion. I've looked at many potential causes (the rear "hooked up" unexpectedly several cones deep in a wide-open-throttle slalom, giving the car massive understeer) and wondered if this could be part of the problem. FYI; it was a 5 cone slalom at course exit, just after a long sweeper. The rev-limiter was bouncing after the 2nd cone at the top of 2nd gear.

I do NOT have VDC in the car (curious for a Touring model???). I pulled the console today based on this thread to make sure that no g-force box was present (did all models have a VDC-off button?). It wasn't, that I could see anywhere. I'd thought only the Base model did not have a VDC, so what gives? Additionally, do you guys think this could have caused my problem?

Just so you know, the car is back in pristine condition, having done about 10k in suspension and body damage. I still can't get the guys to drop the "Luke Duke" nickname though. The car hit a slight incline and sailed though air, landing on the highway into oncomming traffic, no additional crashes though. I am willing to put this down to driver error, but I went though that slalom 4 times in previous runs without this suprise. The in-car vid was distroyed, so don't ask...

Uh... did you buy the car new? All Touring models since the car's inception came from the factory with VDC; it was not an option.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snsitiv350Z
Going through a slalom on the rev-limiter?

The VLSD can take a long time to lock. Might have be that...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 PM
racin

The answer to your VDC issue is the automatic transmission. Tourings with autos were made to the same spec as the ? Enthusiast ?, I believe. You do have tcs, correct?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Snsitiv350Z

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Uh... did you buy the car new? All Touring models since the car's inception came from the factory with VDC; it was not an option.
Yeah, bought it new. One of the few made in Fuji, then shipped here, so it's an early one.

Going through a slalom on the rev-limiter?

The VLSD can take a long time to lock. Might have be that...
I'll admit, I thought this was not the best way through, but since I added the comp tires, I can get throgh the "vette-style" slaloms flat out. Shifting up to third produced a little more speed, and a little more push, making me lift (spin) or break my line due to the push. Either way through was much slower. I honestly think the LSD did hook up, probably during the rev-limiter bounch. I had a friend that nearly wrecked his pulling out into traffic and the LSD locked. Nissan flashed his computer, and has had no more trouble. I had mine re-flashed as soon as he told me about this.

Edit: I might have an answer on the VDC. According to the Body Control Module section of the 2003 service manual, the Automatic version does not carry VDC, only the manual. Looking back through the thread, I'll bet there are others that were confused by this, too. This also might explain why other Z drivers get out of my completely stock Z suprised at what the automatic version (in shift-lock) can do. If you anticipate the shift timing correctly, it can swap gears way faster than you manual guys can (0.03 seconds). That and the lack of an electronic nanny (TSC really does turn off with the button) must really make a difference.

Last edited by Snsitiv350Z; 03-09-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Snsitiv350Z

Originally Posted by racin
The answer to your VDC issue is the automatic transmission. Tourings with autos were made to the same spec as the ? Enthusiast ?, I believe. You do have tcs, correct?
Opps... I didn't see your post before my edit. I think you're right on the automatic version racin
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
MustGoFastR

Ah, didn't think about AT. Yeah, it should still have TCS, though, but that shouldn't have caused his problem, especially if it was off.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:10 AM
racin

What did flashing the computer do? The differential is not controlled by the computer, so I'm confused.

And, I'd venture a guess that your understeer was caused by funky weight transfer due to bouncing off the rev limiter, not a sudden change in the differential. Especially with sticky tires, the stock diff is very easily overcome. I'm sure you didn't go from an open diff condition to a Detroit locker in the blink of an eye...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:36 AM
paulsmansfield

ha ha, UK spec just press the button and its all off!!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Kolia

What did flashing the computer do? The differential is not controlled by the computer, so I'm confused.
yes it is. For those who have the ABLS anyways ;-)

It's never OFF when using the OEM switch.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
pedroosan

Arrow

To summarize this thread upto here:

All people that "convincingly" drove the Z to the limit with VDC switch in OFF, and that reported that they had no problems with VDC kicking back in during drifts or trail braking, all of them had either a 2003 or 2005 TRACK model.

There are people that had problems with VDC kicking back on, although switch in OFF position. None of them stated to have a TRACK model.
Some of them were able to get the SLIP light to stay on (not just flash) by extreme drifts (or donuts...) resulting in the same "fail-safe throttle control state" that you get with disabling the yaw sensor. This state is basically where VDC is really OFF and won't kick back in.

There was one guy that felt a huge difference when disabling the yaw sensor and that matches what Jason stated it would do. (overall better response, more fun to drive)
It seems to me that those that "made fun" of how enthusiastic the guy was about the results after disabling the yaw sensor, either never drove the car to the limit or had a TRACK model and possibly never experienced the lameness of driving with VDC still on.

Automatic Touring owners cannnot participate in that discussion as they do not have VDC.

Regardless of whether it is the EBD or VDC kicking in, without the yaw sensor the electronics cannot know about oversteer/understeer and therefore cannot try to counter it electronically using EBD or whatever.
So discussions about whether VDC is really on or off, and whether it's the EBD instead kicking in, are hair splitting. Important point is: without the yaw sensor you have more direct control in oversteer situations than with the yaw sensor.

This all leads me to believe that:
The TRACK model has a different programming of the VDC function/switch.
Is there no official confirmation from Nissan on this or from any service manuals?

If you watch the 280class tuned Z Face Off on Tsukuba Circuit by motortrend, the link is floating around on this forum, it seems to confirm that:
"boss z33" uses the center console switch (they even show it in the video), for "mines z33" they state that the VDC is left on, but if you look at the text in the video it says that it was re-programmed by Mine.

Anyone made a pic of the yaw sensor harness and which wire to disconnect?

EDIT:
the video I was referring to is not from motortrend but from best motoring and here is the link
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2821284&q=350z

Last edited by pedroosan; 03-10-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Kolia

Nice summary.

I’ll point out that those who mentioned the VDC would flash and deactivate for “real” were doing burnouts/donuts or other silly things. All of which will completely screw up the ABLS, sending that system into safe mode…

My gf has a 2004 Performance and we never had any hint of VDC trying to come back ON.

No service/technical manual mention anything about different programming for different trim levels.

Will throttle response be affected by tempering with the car's wirring? Possibly since it's drive-by-wire...

Time travel is still impossible, with our without VDC…
Old 03-10-2006, 01:02 PM
pedroosan

Nice summary.

I’ll point out that those who mentioned the VDC would flash and deactivate for “real” were doing burnouts/donuts or other silly things. All of which will completely screw up the ABLS, sending that system into safe mode…

My gf has a 2004 Performance and we never had any hint of VDC trying to come back ON.

No service/technical manual mention anything about different programming for different trim levels.

Will throttle response be affected by tempering with the car's wirring? Possibly since it's drive-by-wire...

Time travel is still impossible, with our without VDC…

Yeah after having read more threads about this, I also tend to believe now that there is no difference between TRACK and other TRIMS with regard to the factory VDC switch/function.

It seems to come down to what your style of [track] driving is:
If you want to induce oversteer by braking or trail braking, than disconnecting the yaw sensor should help by avoiding the EBD (or ABLS or whatever) to cause more of a push trying to counter the yaw.

And how much the fail-safe-throttle-control state (disabled yaw sensor) feels different with respect to overall car response from the state when you switch off VDC just with the stock switch, is probably very subjective.

Yeah, and a time travel switch would be a great mod.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
dlt1cy

So, for a 5AT w/ no VDC (but has TCS), where do you connect a switch that allows you to power brake? I assume this keeps the brake lights unlike pulling the fuse.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
dlt1cy

Posted in other thread also.

Tried Chebosto's method today. Worked like a charm. I have an 03 5at touring w/ TCS only. Observations:

Everything discussed is disabled,
Lights on dash stay on,
Speedo does not work,
Odometer does not work,
Brake lights do work,
Can smoke tires all day long while holding brake. (so no fuel cut)

I also noticed a huge difference in braking control. They were alot "touchier". The gray plug in actually more of computer plug, much like the ecu plugs. It plugs left to right (not up and down) There is a black "swing latch" over it. To remove, push in on the gray notches and lift the black over them. (there are 2 notches, one at bottom of gray plug and and one at the top of the gray plug to keep black "swing latch" from loosening) It takes about 10 sec once the cover conceling that corner of the engine bay is removed.

Hope this helps. This should also be posted in the drag racing section for those who need to heat their tires.