Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Brand New Z: but does it have problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 AM
elms350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Oh I did get beat by a stock e36 M3 but not by much...Want a rematch after breakin and I feel comfortable going nearer the redline....So far I really like the car but I think Ill need the gear change to be in love...
You're already racing your Z with only 600 miles??? You should really wait until after the break in period. But next time you race the E36 do a few runs before the race. The ECU will adjust itself and give you better response and fuel effeciency.

Last edited by elms350Z; 08-26-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:33 AM
jamnew

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Im a new owner of an 05 DBZ and Ive noticed the notchy tranny too. About 600 miles on the car so far...A few times I was going through the gears and had to fight it to get it in gear....I expected better...It feels almost exactly like my old Probe GT's 5 speed tranny which wasnt pretty good but very notchy. Also acceleration seems to die off quickly in the first 4 gears too..Sounds like the engine is straining after4k rpms..Even my girl said it sound like its trying hard...Im not panicking tho since the car is new..Hopefully it will sort itself out after break in period...Oh I did get beat by a stock e36 M3 but not by much...Want a rematch after breakin and I feel comfortable going nearer the redline....So far I really like the car but I think Ill need the gear change to be in love...
I have a 05 ZR and it had the same notchy tranny, but after I put some miles on it (2000) it smoothed right out. I hope yours does the same.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:56 AM
rolling

mabey the dealers have a special Z for test drives hehe..
or its like going to the service dept. the problem sems to dissappear?? lol
Old 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Faizei

Here is an update for all of you 2005 350z owners that is hearing a grinding or rattling noise when changing gears.

I took my car into Cambell-Nelson Nissan in Seattle who is one of the best dealers for service in the area. After they had my car for the whole day, they did confirm that it was some type of clutch/transmission problem, but needed to get in contact with Nissan to figure out how to fix it. They went to great extents and even duplicated the same problem on a brand new 350z on their lot. So they have confirmed that this is not normal and told me that they will get back to me after Nissan gets back to them.

To describe the issue:

Frequently, when switching into 3rd or 4th gear and you start to accelerate, there is a loud rattling or chain grinding noise comming from behind the passenger seat. This can last anywhere from 1 - 3 seconds depending on how hard you are accelerating. Dealer said that the noise is resonating to the rear, but the original of the noise is from the Clutch area. Dealer also confirmed that it is not clutch chatter.

My friend when used to be a mechanic at Mitsubishi said that it may be a weak syncro causing this issue because he has seen a similar problem on the new Evo.

Will let all of you guys know when the dealer gets back to me. They said it could take days, weeks, or months before Nissan would have a fix for this problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:35 PM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by elms350Z
You're already racing your Z with only 600 miles??? You should really wait until after the break in period. But next time you race the E36 do a few runs before the race. The ECU will adjust itself and give you better response and fuel effeciency.

hehe...It was one of those itches you just had to scratch...Thanks for the heads up on the ECU elms...Didnt know that...

Jamnew thanks....Ill keep that in mind as I approach 2k
Old 08-29-2005, 09:55 PM
ASTIG_Z

Okay, great. So the rattling from the clutch when its not engaged is a normal part of the Z? I cant really complain since its such a joy to drive this car. I will take it to nissan just to have my concerns documented in the nissan database (if there is one). But yeah, if this is common in all Z cars, then i'm not too concerned. And by the way, I only use premium octane, just cause I can.