Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Traded in the Z... No regrets

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Kevin3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zzz350
I have a much better solution, buy a truck and keep the Z. I just bought a new Nissan Frontier, now I drive the Z when I choose to. So now I will have a 2003 Z that won't have the odometer raped, thus providing years of fun.
I did consider that, but unless there is a clone of me, I cant drive two vehicles at once. I came to the conclusion that I would be wasting money when I can only drive one at a time, yet both are constantly losing value no matter if driven or not.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin3
Yeah, you dont want this truck if you are going to be constantly hauling larger stuff in the bed! This is more of an suv drivers vehicle with the occasional small items in the bed. I did actually get my ATV in the back...barely!

What sold me is the built in cooler and "in bed trunk" build under the bed. Check it out if you have not seen it already. Really cool. The tailgate opens two different ways. I cant wait for tailgate parties at football games now. When opening the tailgate from the side it reveals the compartment that unlocks and has more room than the hatch of my Z, plus it has built in cooler with drain plug, and spare tire area. You can fill it with ice and drain it later. Leave it to honda to come up with that idea! Im impressed
That was my point. The Ridgeline is not a real pickup truck, but a vehicle that is a crossover/hybrid/jack of trades etc. Not really a truck, car or SUV, but a combination of them all. To me a pickup truck is a vehicle built on a truck chassis with a open bed meant to haul reasonably heavy loads (clean or dirty), with a towing capacity of at least 5,000 lbs and in 4x4 configuration with a low range transfer case.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Fletch69z

Yeah, like a badass Titan!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Yeah, like a badass Titan!
I don't understand how anyone could buy a Ridgeline . Its the japanese Pontiac Aztec. Actually more like a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse/El Camino love child with cerable palsy.

On the plus side though, the build quality is probably very good even if it is a first run.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
microsteve40
Know it all

Originally Posted by Kevin3
No, I dont consider it the average truck by any means. Much better...whole lot of interior room, 8 air bags, drives like a car, same gas mileage as Z but only requires regular gas, and above all, resell value of a Honda. Much more economical and versatile that the average "truck."
I could be wrong now, but the last I heard, the Z was #1 in resell value among cars. Has that changed?

Also, you've made a few comments about resell values, and about cars losing their value, etc. If you are looking for an investment, a car (or truck) is not the way to go. And, if you are so worried about a vehicle losing value, why is it that you buy new/newer vehicles? If you're worried about depreciation, wouldn't it be better to buy a 3+ y/o vehicle that's already taken the big hit to it's resell value?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:25 PM
zYouLater

Keep on TRUCKING Man!........................................Best of Luck!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
carlos067

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
I don't understand how anyone could buy a Ridgeline . Its the japanese Pontiac Aztec. Actually more like a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse/El Camino love child with cerable palsy.

On the plus side though, the build quality is probably very good even if it is a first run.
japanese aztec...
Old 08-25-2005, 04:57 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You do know those are FWD, right? Atleast that's what i geard. If your getting a truck, get a real truck, it's like buying a v6 Mustang, WHY? I read this somewhere, "The Honda Ridgeline is like a minivan with a bed."

Don't mean to down you on your choice, and if you need more room, then so be it, but atleast get a real truck like a Ford or Chevy.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 PM
lunartick13

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Make sure that little plastic string that is attach to the gas lid to the car is put in the right posistion. if it isn't in the right position, it will interfere with the latch opening. After I read this little tid bit from another forum member, It only takes one press to open the latch. No more problem. The problem is the plastic strings sometimes gets in the way of the latch hook and won't let it open.

I've seen so many people with this issue that I'm thinking about taking pictures of what position it was in before and after.
Thanks, ZlleH for the info. I know that plastic string is heavy gauge and when you try to hang the gas cap when gasing up it also get in the way.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster
You do know those are FWD, right? Atleast that's what i geard. If your getting a truck, get a real truck, it's like buying a v6 Mustang, WHY? I read this somewhere, "The Honda Ridgeline is like a minivan with a bed."

Don't mean to down you on your choice, and if you need more room, then so be it, but atleast get a real truck like a Ford or Chevy.
Its actually AWD/4 wheel drive standard. If by "real truck" you mean bad gas mileage, huge factory rebates that kill resell value, and no versatility, while costing much more $$...count me out!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by microsteve40
I could be wrong now, but the last I heard, the Z was #1 in resell value among cars. Has that changed?

Also, you've made a few comments about resell values, and about cars losing their value, etc. If you are looking for an investment, a car (or truck) is not the way to go. And, if you are so worried about a vehicle losing value, why is it that you buy new/newer vehicles? If you're worried about depreciation, wouldn't it be better to buy a 3+ y/o vehicle that's already taken the big hit to it's resell value?
Last time i checked the Z, G35 were. Been a while since I checked so not sure now? Most nissans do have pretty good values though either way. Much much better than domestic brands.

Its definitely not an investment for me to purchase a car. Of course its going to lose value, but the smaller amount the better. I dont like to go beyond 3 years or so b/c then, from my experience, reliability drastically drops and maintenance goes way up! I'd rather spend the money on payments for a new reliable car/truck than spend money on repairs and not have piece of mind for a safe trip.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:40 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

4WD standard, then why do they make them FWD? Just trying to learn, but what if you don't have it in 4WD? Is it FWD then, or is that the 2WD option with no 4WD that is FWD? Or are you saying they are AWD standard?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster
4WD standard, then why do they make them FWD? Just trying to learn, but what if you don't have it in 4WD? Is it FWD then, or is that the 2WD option with no 4WD that is FWD? Or are you saying they are AWD standard?
It seems to work in the best way to save gas. You do have the option for 4 wheel drive of course. If you dont select 4wd, then its more of an AWD system. When driving on interstate and so on, front wheel drive is there to save on gas, then if (and hopefully this never happens) I drive through water or ice or start to slip, the other wheels automatically kick in to correct the uneven spinning. Sounds pretty safe to me. I got caught in a bad storm yesterday with heavy rain and it did handle great. I felt very safe driving the truck.

A few years back my friend and I were in his silverado 4wd and hit water going about 55mph. We hydroplaned off the road. All happened so fast it was hard for him to react when driving. Luckily, there was no one or nothing in the way to hit. It was just farming property I think.
We finally came to a stop about 3 feet from a telephone pole. Needless to say, I hate driving in the rain now!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
kalima275Z

Wow, all that info about the gadgets and the cool-guy storage tricks has changed my mind about that thing. I used to think it was just ugly (I think the Titan and the Frontier are ugly too). It still is, but it's way cooler to me now that I know all those other things about it. I still favor the Ford or Chevy though. Mostly because they are the essence of what a truck is.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
boma

I like that truck! Honda has very good build quality. I doubt that truck will give you any problems.

I had to take my 1999 Civic to the dealer to replace the radiator resevoir cap and replacing a broken hood release lever; after that I never took it for warranty work again.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 AM
2003z

congrats, if it works for you, thats all that matters.