Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Traded in the Z... No regrets

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Kevin3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Traded in the Z... No regrets

I just traded in my '04 base Z for a Honda ridgeline truck. Enjoying it so far!
I actually didnt have that much of an intention to trade in, but the Z was giving me signs ha ha! I went to the dealership mostly to look at the truck and test drive it b/c I wanted more room. I got tired of being in a small car.

On the way to the dealership, I had to get fuel. The gas pump kept turning itself off, like it usually did, only halfway or so to a full tank. Next, after I left the fueling station, my window would not roll back up after several attempts of pushing the switch (1st time this has ever happened.) Then, right as I pulled in the Honda dealership, my air conditioner quit working! I have had this happen several times, but if you keep pushing the a/c button repeatedly, it will eventually start working again...This time I couldnt get it to work again at all.

I only had 4 or 5 months of driving before I passed the 36k mile warranty. I had so many little problems with it, there was no way I could trust it after warranty expired (even though warranty never got me anything to begin with ex. tires problems.)

After multiple attempts to fix my problems, and no results, I gave up and lost faith in nissan. The day I bought my new truck, I got home to find the letter about extended tire rotations for 3 years. At first I thought, thats pretty good! But after thinking about it, its just a temporary fix without addressing the real problem. I hope I am not right about this, but I predict that after each Z is 3 years old, the resell value will drastically drop. With the problem being known that you have to constantly rotate tires to make the tread last, after the extended warranty is up, I know I wouldnt be willing to buy a used one, would you!?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:13 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

enjoy your truck man

sorry the Z didn't work for you
Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What made you pick the Honda? It is a first year production truck from a company that has never made a truck before?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by King Tut
What made you pick the Honda? It is a first year production truck from a company that has never made a truck before?
That's what I was thinking, . But enjoy your truck and sorry your Z didn't work.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Spideynw

Well, sounds to me that the problem isn't the Z, it's the fact you are not really that into sports cars. Glad you found a vehicle you really like.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Zexy

^ +1
Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 AM
EM-EFER

Some people like the Z some dont. Goodluck with ridgeline.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Clapton9286

Originally Posted by King Tut
Esp over something like the Nismo Frontier or the regular VQ45 Frontier with the 6 speed..
Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
taurran

I did buy a used Z and have experienced the normal issues. Driving the car that looks this good is more than worth it though. My warranty runs out next month, but I've pretty much voided anything besides the interior, drivetrain, and windows anyway.

So far it's a love/hate relationship with the Z. I love the car but I hate how EXPENSIVE it is to have fun with.

Originally Posted by Zexy
I HATE FLORIDA WEATHER..NUFF SAID.
Oh man I hear you there. This S*** is really getting to me. I was supposed to move this weekend and now this dumb storm is coming through.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
DobbersNissanZ

You went from a sports car to a pick-up truck? flip flop flip flop...what next? a F-16 fighter jet?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 AM
sanf

it's all about luck too when it comes to buying a car.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 AM
lunartick13

Originally Posted by DobbersNissanZ
You went from a sports car to a pick-up truck? flip flop flip flop...what next? a F-16 fighter jet?
Ha, Ha, that`s funny that is what I do every year, just before the Winter moves in I put the Z away and 4x4 GMC becomes my daily driver, yeah it`s quite the flip flop change.
As for my Z well that is a KEEPER, little problems like the fuel door won`t open on the 1st try don`t even bother me. The Z has too much to offer.
Good Luck with your Honda!!...
Old 08-25-2005, 11:06 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I too am suprised that you went from a Z to a Honda truck. Not exactly the same class of vehicle.

I saw a couple at the airport a few weeks ago. OK I guess, something like the Explorer thingie with four doors and a very small and useless bed.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that little plastic string that is attach to the gas lid to the car is put in the right posistion. if it isn't in the right position, it will interfere with the latch opening. After I read this little tid bit from another forum member, It only takes one press to open the latch. No more problem. The problem is the plastic strings sometimes gets in the way of the latch hook and won't let it open.

I've seen so many people with this issue that I'm thinking about taking pictures of what position it was in before and after.

Originally Posted by lunartick13
little problems like the fuel door won`t open on the 1st try don`t even bother me. The Z has too much to offer.
Good Luck with your Honda!!...
Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, but is the Ridgeline really a truck? Not what I consider a truck anyway.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:33 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Man, all I do is flip the plastic cord under the metal clip. I have never had a problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by taurran

Oh man I hear you there. This S*** is really getting to me. I was supposed to move this weekend and now this dumb storm is coming through.
Hehe. It's bullshat i know! It manages to rain almost every single day. At least in Central Florida.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Sorry, but is the Ridgeline really a truck? Not what I consider a truck anyway.
No, I dont consider it the average truck by any means. Much better...whole lot of interior room, 8 air bags, drives like a car, same gas mileage as Z but only requires regular gas, and above all, resell value of a Honda. Much more economical and versatile that the average "truck."
Old 08-25-2005, 01:38 PM
zzz350

I have a much better solution, buy a truck and keep the Z. I just bought a new Nissan Frontier, now I drive the Z when I choose to. So now I will have a 2003 Z that won't have the odometer raped, thus providing years of fun.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by gringott
I too am suprised that you went from a Z to a Honda truck. Not exactly the same class of vehicle.

I saw a couple at the airport a few weeks ago. OK I guess, something like the Explorer thingie with four doors and a very small and useless bed.
Yeah, you dont want this truck if you are going to be constantly hauling larger stuff in the bed! This is more of an suv drivers vehicle with the occasional small items in the bed. I did actually get my ATV in the back...barely!

What sold me is the built in cooler and "in bed trunk" build under the bed. Check it out if you have not seen it already. Really cool. The tailgate opens two different ways. I cant wait for tailgate parties at football games now. When opening the tailgate from the side it reveals the compartment that unlocks and has more room than the hatch of my Z, plus it has built in cooler with drain plug, and spare tire area. You can fill it with ice and drain it later. Leave it to honda to come up with that idea! Im impressed

Quick Reply: Traded in the Z... No regrets