2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Z, I Need Lane Changing Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:43 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the mirror trick
+1 on the accelerate into lane (unless it's unsafe)

I also found that in the Z if you have a more upright driving position, not only do the supports hold you in better, you feel the Gs better for turning balance and the little back windows are more useful (just make sure the passenger headrest is not in the way).

Chris
Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 AM
MulhollandDrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Navygold
cwerdna...good link. They do state what is quite obvious and what most people don't understand...any part of your car you can see in your mirror is just wasted mirror space.
I back up using both my _side_ mirrors, much as I would back up a commercial truck. So seeing a bit of my fender is a good thing.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:37 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Originally Posted by davidv
Most drivers have the mirrors adjusted so that they can see the side of the car. Push the mirrors out.

For the right mirror, sit in a left turn lane, and watch the cars on the right passing. Adjust the right mirror so that you can see the car on your rear taillight, not the car beside you. For the left mirror, do the same in a right turn only lane.

You can also make the adjustments during gridlock traffic when the other vehicles are creeping along.

Once the mirrors are properly adjusted, trust them: they are your friends.

+1
Old 08-26-2005, 09:38 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by davidv
Most drivers have the mirrors adjusted so that they can see the side of the car. Push the mirrors out.

For the right mirror, sit in a left turn lane, and watch the cars on the right passing. Adjust the right mirror so that you can see the car on your rear taillight, not the car beside you. For the left mirror, do the same in a right turn only lane.

You can also make the adjustments during gridlock traffic when the other vehicles are creeping along.

Once the mirrors are properly adjusted, trust them: they are your friends.
+1. Takes some getting use to but works great! This is my 3rd Z. They've all had the blind spot issue.

Another way to adjust is to just make sure as you lose site of the car (on either side) in the rearview that you have them imediately in that side view. It's always a good idea to turn & look but once you get use to the mirror adjustments you'll rarely need to.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM
mavtais

[QUOTE=tlewis (If you can see your own car in your side mirrors, then they are in too close...)[/QUOTE]
+1 Exactly!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 AM
matt sherman

i do the same as i did on my bike whenI change lanes. Just keep going fast and hope that they aren't still there.

I make the quick peak, but the blind spot is so large the peak isn't really reliable

Matt
Old 08-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by matt sherman
i do the same as i did on my bike whenI change lanes. Just keep going fast and hope that they aren't still there.

I make the quick peak, but the blind spot is so large the peak isn't really reliable

Matt

Please learn how to switch lanes without the "hope and pray" method...

Eventually you will get into an accident with another idiot who is also "hoping and praying"...

I'm not kidding you, my friend wrecked his MR2 on the freeway (could have easily died in that tiny car) because he was doing exactly what you said.

I will say this clearly...

THERE IS PRACTICALLY NO BLIND SPOT (no car will be able to fit entirely inside your blind spot) IF YOU HAVE YOUR MIRRORS SET CORRECTLY ON THE 350Z

you might be able to get a pedestrian to stand in your blind spot if they are somewhere near your tail lights, but a car will never ever ever ever be able to hide from your mirrors if they are set correctly.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 08-26-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:38 AM
JRinTXrog

+1 on cranking the mirror all the way out. You don't need to see the side of your car
Old 08-27-2005, 04:52 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Use the mirrors. This seems to be a lost art in driving today. And don't forget to use your turn signal too.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:16 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ZPirate
And don't forget to use your turn signal too.
Talk about a lost art in driving...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 AM
ZZ33bOI

Talking

Originally Posted by tropicalypso
downshift, drop the hammer, and make the lane change... you have a 90% chance that the car will be faster then the person to the left of you

jk

I've noticed the blind spot too, I've just had to lean way the heck forward and look around... not any easy thing to do at high speeds.
hAhaH NICe..Tats what i do..but HEY..we dont need to downshift...we just need to push down the pedal to the metal and she'll go...Yeah i notice that too..but my blind are mostly makin right lane change..my left is coo..cuz i put my mirror so i can see more..but makin right land change is wut i hate..big o blind spot..haha i usually just either lean fwd to peak..but usually im just very caucious the car's around me...JUST KNOW YOUR SURROUNDING..WHO's behind you, around you, next to you, and all tat..just think ur racing for the gold..and u anit tryin let them past u..AKA be a COCKBLOCKER...hahahha
Old 08-31-2005, 09:40 AM
shortbus1981

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I too also was not used to the huge blind spots in the Z. I used the technique at http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/. It helps a LOT! You still need to look over your shoulder before changing lanes, but this really helps increase how much you can see w/all your mirrors.

Bingo, that link explains it exactly how it should be done. That's how my mirrors are set and it seems to eliminate the blind spots the best.