Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

pulled over for tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:37 PM
vegasedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
Yea the Zs UV coated windows do a decent job of keeping the heat out of the car even in SOCAL. Tinting the windows is so frick'in 90s.

Move to vegas then tell me its so 90s. LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 03:38 PM
nburns

This is going to sound like a really stupid question (I think so anyway), but how dark is the 35% tint on the Z? (I know how the percentage works). I definitely want to tint mine, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting pulled over all the time. I don't need the windows to be completely black, but I'd also like it to have noticeable tint. Is the 35% way too light?

(oh, and here in MD, 35% is the max they allow)
Old 08-28-2005, 03:41 PM
TNguyen7

here's my 35%. i'm very pleased with it.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 PM
nburns

Thanks for the pics.. that looks dark enough for me.. I think that's what i'll do.

Does anyone know what you need in case you get pulled over for tint even though your tint is legal? (ie Do you need to get the tint inspected even if your car has already been inspected?)

Or do you think the cops won't bother a car with 35% tint?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:20 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I'd just strip the tint and put on state legal tint. Here in VA, the limit is 35 on the back and 50 on the sides, and that's plenty dark for me. I don't need to roll around all gangsta because you can't see in my car. Most tints block 99% UV, so state limits will still buy you the interior protection you need. That does suck though.....sorry you got popped for this.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:46 PM
stopgo

Did the cop actually measure your tint? If not, I can't see how the ticket would stand up in court as the legal tint limits in MD are not subjective.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Mantis3024

I got busted with that in my Integra. Paid 100 to get it taken off. I wish there was some fine you'd pay and they would leave you alone for a while, like having no front tags.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
danvain

Default Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
I use 303 spray on all my interior bits. I've used it on boats and cars for nearly 15 years and I don't have any fade or cracking.

I've always used it on my cars. Again, no fade, no cracking. You can find it at most boating supply stores. It gives a VERY subtle shine. No where near as intense as that Armorall BS. It's almosts a dull finish and no greasy film. Allows for 100% protection without having to tint.

As for heat and the Zs stock windows all I can say is windows down my arm is on fire. Windows up I feel almost no heat. Now maybe that's just the glass but isn't that the point to reduce heat? It works in it's stock setup good enough for me. And for protection the 303 is the best.

Just listing sensable alternatives to those that don't want to tint because of laws or because it makes the car look too...well...Miami.

uhh...I'm baffled by this too
Old 08-28-2005, 07:44 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well since i am from Miami, ive got tints (15/5% = illegal), as do pretty much everyone else i know. you can do what one of my friends did when he got a tint ticket. he just found another car that looked just like his, but that didn't have tints, and took pictures to mail in. If you can just mail in pictures, like how his ticket was, you can do that. The same thing worked for a friend of mine who got an illegal exhaust ticket.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:45 PM
raptorbh12

yea it was slightly drizzling out so i had windows up and right when the sun came out for a split second he put on his lights. I guess the sun showed how dark my tint was and the fact he was following me forever. I really hate cops now. As if he didnt have anything better to do than stop me for following every law except having my windows 15% darker than acceptable. And for that he writes me up 2 tickets and makes me late for work.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by raptorbh12
yea it was slightly drizzling out so i had windows up and right when the sun came out for a split second he put on his lights. I guess the sun showed how dark my tint was and the fact he was following me forever. I really hate cops now. As if he didnt have anything better to do than stop me for following every law except having my windows 15% darker than acceptable. And for that he writes me up 2 tickets and makes me late for work.

So you're mad because the cop gave you a ticket for breaking the law?

He had nothing better to do?

I like to think it's a good thing, that a cop has nothing better to do, then to enforce the laws. That's what our taxes are paying for.

Your tax dollars made it possible for him to have his job and give you that ticket. If you would stop paying your taxes he will get laid off and you won't have to worry about him giving you tickets.

Kidding, it does suck:-D
Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why I don't get tint on the fronts... period.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Mr_Q

Originally Posted by vegasedge
Move to vegas then tell me its so 90s. LOL
I lived in the Summerlin area of Vegas for three years!

....and I had tint there...limo black.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:32 AM
boma

That's too much of a hassle for me. I got 35% on the door windows and 20% for everything else.

And with my dark black interior, it's hard to tell that they are two different shades.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobean
Most tints block 99% UV

Actually the glass on your car by itself blocks a lot of the UV already. It is pretty hard to get a sunburn through windows (windshield blocks more than the sides, since it is a little beefier).

(Plexiglass/acrylic blocks out a ton of UV too!)

Tint definitely won't hurt you if you are trying to block out more UV to protect your interior or something, but most people just do it for looks I'm sure.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:33 AM
jamnew

When cops can't see your hands they get nervous! Is it worth getting popped by a nervous cop? I don't think so! Strip the tint and go legal with the 35% and live with it. The rest of us in MD have to and trust me if you take it to court the judge will laugh you right out of there. MD traffic courts are set up for you to lose and provide revenue to the state.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
raptorbh12

im not going to court for the tint, im going to court for the ticket for not having my registration when i showed the cop i had it.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
dreamspeed

pretty here in SoCal its illegal to have ANY tint in the front. The rear window plus rear side windows you can tint as dark as you want ( you can spray paint it black if you want) as long as you have functioning side mirrors. The front window and front side windows you can't tint at all. Got busted in my civic a while back and it was a ***** and a half to strip the tint from the front. Never got it re tinted, not worth the hassle imo
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM
lightner22

Originally Posted by raptorbh12
I'm a Officer in PG county and was planning on helping you out after reading this thread, but the "I really hate cops" comment killed any notion of that. Anyway...you broke the law and got caught. I'm not sure what the problem is??
Old 08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
SLVRZ

I am a cop, here is the thing. If he didnt use a tint meter to check the percentage of the tint...then you may win if you take him to court. Usually cops pull people over for stupid stuff like that to check on other stuff....i.e. drugs, weapons, no DL, no registration, no insurance. Now you didnt say that you got a ticket for the tint, if this is the case next time carry your registration man. good luck. I would worry about taking the tint off if is legal limit....any cop who is legit will not write you unless proven to dark.

Quick Reply: pulled over for tint