Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Y not window antannas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:48 PM
bamyi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y not window antannas?

I saw this 350 yesterday with even a smaller antanna than the s200's. It was about 2 inches long and I got to thinking, most cars have their antannas built into the rear window, why not the Z?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
MADDOG`

Good question. It would certainly clean up the body lines. I went with a shorter, black chrome, billet aluminum antenna and it helped some.

I would suspect that a simple mast is cheaper than imbedding an antenna in glass. Also, I've never had a window antenna that worked well which may be another consideration given to the antenna design by Nissan.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because some of us like the OEM antenna right where it is. I would not want to sacrifice any clarity by switching to a window antenna.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Fletch69z

I just got a billet aluminum stubby antenna and I think it looks really good. Matches up with my chrome grill, the Nissan emblems and the door handles and tail pipes. You can see pics at my car domain site in my sig (adding it to it now.)
Old 08-31-2005, 08:20 AM
ZlleH

The first mod to my car was getting rid of the stock antenna and puting on a black 2" stubby atenna.

I wouldn't want a window antenna because the 2" stubby attenna is like an accent on the car IMHO. It is well placed as opossed to other cars antenna located on the back roof or near the passenger side mirrors.

I love where the 350Z antenna is, I just dislike how the stock antenna was so high.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:32 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by King Tut
Because some of us like the OEM antenna right where it is. I would not want to sacrifice any clarity by switching to a window antenna.
My 98 Grand Prix GTP with window antennae has better reception than my Z. It uses the defog wires.

I think it was a cost decision by Nissan from what I remember from reading these boards back in 2002.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 AM
spacemn_spiff

Many new cars have outside antennas now, VWs, Hondas, Toyotas. I dont know why we see a trend in that direction.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

i think they will get to that point pretty soon.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:39 AM
TruBluZ

My old 99 Honda Accord had the antenna in the rear window. It worked like a champ. Never had any problems. Wish I could do the same to the Z!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 AM
DWS44

Originally Posted by MannishBoy
My 98 Grand Prix GTP with window antennae has better reception than my Z. It uses the defog wires.

I think it was a cost decision by Nissan from what I remember from reading these boards back in 2002.
My Dad has a 2003 Bonneville SSEi, and his has a short, maybe 1' long antenna embedded in the top of his windshield, and his reception is awesome...far exceeds the Zs reception! Like everything else, the technology has probably improved a bit.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 AM
MustGoFastR

The real kicker is that the Z's Sister, the G35c has it's antenna embeded in the rear glass (very good reception), so you'd think they would have just done it on the Z as well; makes for very clean lines. And in '03, at least, comparably equiped G35c's and Z's were priced about the same, so I don't buy the "more expensive" bit.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:09 AM
ANXIOUZ

I don't mind it where it is. It's just the length of the stock antenna that's the problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
The real kicker is that the Z's Sister, the G35c has it's antenna embeded in the rear glass (very good reception), so you'd think they would have just done it on the Z as well; makes for very clean lines
Alright...after visiting these forums regularly for the past month, I have finally registered just to comment on this.

Zs don't have rear window antenna while G35s do because the former are offered as roadsters as well while the latter are not. To maintain economy of scale, it makes sense for Nissan to go with one method instead of using two different antenna assemblies for its two Z body styles. Imagine having a rear window antenna in the roadster! ......Come to think of it, Nissan could say it believes only the roadster owners who drive with the top up deserve to listen to the radio

For the record, I HATE the length of the OEM antenna. Wonder why Nissan didn't just put in the front windshield. Could have maintained uniformity between the two versions without ruining the curves of the car.

By the way, I am ordering my 06 Z in January. Figured should get it after it stops snowing here in Denver. It will either be a Nismo edition (if offered), or a GT Coupe with all Nismo equipment. Can't yet decide on the color! Want to see the new MB and SA before making up my mind.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Jim 350Z Boston

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
I just got a billet aluminum stubby antenna and I think it looks really good. Matches up with my chrome grill, the Nissan emblems and the door handles and tail pipes. You can see pics at my car domain site in my sig (adding it to it now.)
Mind if I ask where you got that antenna? It looks great
Old 08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
The Mike

I just really l like the stock antenna the way it is. It makes the sporty Z look like a remote control car to have fun with.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
The Mike

Originally Posted by maximZ
I don't mind it where it is. It's just the length of the stock antenna that's the problem.
ehh.. don't know if ur pic will post in my reply, but I hope the girls don't judge you by your antenna
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Landbarger

I hate my reception in the Z, my 01 Expedition with the antenna in the right rear window was 100x better than my Z. I don't think reception has a damn thing to do with it, I think the designers liked the styling, and so they chose to keep it. Personally, I don't mind my antenna on the Z at all, it's the ****-poor radio reception that gets me.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
bamyi

USMANASIF's comments makes complete sense. it would be more cost effective the way it is. Now if they would just get rid of the convertible and replace it with a targa instead.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:59 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Alright...after visiting these forums regularly for the past month, I have finally registered just to comment on this.

Zs don't have rear window antenna while G35s do because the former are offered as roadsters as well while the latter are not. To maintain economy of scale, it makes sense for Nissan to go with one method instead of using two different antenna assemblies for its two Z body styles. Imagine having a rear window antenna in the roadster! ......Come to think of it, Nissan could say it believes only the roadster owners who drive with the top up deserve to listen to the radio

For the record, I HATE the length of the OEM antenna. Wonder why Nissan didn't just put in the front windshield. Could have maintained uniformity between the two versions without ruining the curves of the car.
They could have put it in the front glass like GM does on some models, so that argument doesn't hold water, either It was the cheap way out. That's why they did it.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:25 PM
bamyi

I must be in a cave then since I didn't realize they have them in the windshield now.
so whats the cost difference between the window antanna and our current setup? I tried searching the net but no luck on any info.

Quick Reply: Y not window antannas?