Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please help with my Z problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 PM
sickguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with my Z problems

Hey guys, as some of you already know I picked up an used '03 Z couple days ago, I already noticed something wrong. Well actually I can't be sure if they're just like that from the factory or they're problems, please give me advice.

- When using the automatic window function by completely lifting the switch, the passenger's window rolls up fine to the top but then it will lower like 5 inches, unless you hold the switch for like 5 seconds then it won't roll down.

- The passenger side cup holder will never pop out no matter how I push it.

- The tranny grinds slightly going into 3rd and 5th gear.

- The brake already squeals a little at 20k miles.

Does anyone know if any of these is normal or needs to be sent to the dealership for inspection? And do you think they'll repair these problems? Pls let me know asap as my original warranty is going to expire in half month. Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Go for warranty work right away. Don't know about the reason for the break squeal, but the rest should be easily covered.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 PM
lascala26

My window does the "drop 5 inches" thing. I believe it is a safety mechanism, but mine only does it when it is hot out. Doesn't make much sense. I just have to hit the up button again and it goes up all the way. It only happens on the driver's side though. Nonetheless...should be covered.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Several items that you mentioned are warranty items, while others are most likely “normal wear and tear.” Make a list and visit a NISSAN dealer.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:12 PM
sickguy

The window thing is not normal I just saw a post under "repairing", it's a sign that the motor is going out.

How much hassle do I expect by asking the dealership to replace the whole tranny because of the 3rd/5th gear grinding? I read somewhere in the forum that the dealer insisted the grinding was normal and wouldn't do anything. What kind of proof or anything that I have to prepare before telling them about the tranny problem?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
sickguy

Which are warranty items and which are normal wear? Are the brakes and tranny normal wear? I really doubt the brakes and tranny are worn out at only 20k miles. I just picked up the car so I might not know much about the common problems, I have read most of the posts though. So please keep the advise coming, thanks a lot guys.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sickguy
Which are warranty items and which are normal wear? Are the brakes and tranny normal wear? I really doubt the brakes and tranny are worn out at only 20k miles. I just picked up the car so I might not know much about the common problems, I have read most of the posts though. So please keep the advise coming, thanks a lot guys.
I wish that I had a definitive answer, but every dealer and every service manager interprets the warranty a bit differently. Make a list of all problems, and let the service manager decide.

Keep in mind that as a service manager, I have some leeway as to what are free warranty repairs, and those that are not. One of my objectives is to keep you as a “paying” customer. Perhaps not today, but in the future.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 AM
sickguy

I think they have to fix the window and the cup holder at least. I'll just bring it in for these fixes and will see if my tranny holds up just fine. I can't afford to leave the car there for couple days as this is my only car. The tranny is covered under the powertrain warranty which is 6-yr / 60k miles right? If this is the case then maybe I'll drop it off later for the tranny. Anyone can confirm this pls?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
lascala26

The cup holder and the window are covered under warranty. Your transmission should be too. The brake squeak is probably due to worn pads, so that fix will be on your dollar. Bring it in!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Fletch69z

Warranty should cover most of that stuff.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:51 AM
samy2000

You should get no problems trying to change the tranny. If it grinds every time and they can duplicate the problem they will not argue with you because they already know that the transmission has problems. The good thing is you'll get a new clutch too
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 AM
sickguy

Great! but since my bumper-to-bumper is going to expire in 2 weeks and I have no time to drop the car for the tranny work, do you think it'll be covered under the powertrain warranty which is 6-year/60k miles?

Another question: I want to change the in-cabin microfilter to get rid of some cigaratte smell in the car, I called the dealer part dept. and they said the Zs don't have one, is that true? What should I do to get rid the smell from the vents I'll shampoo the carpets and seats but not sure what to do with the vents other than filters.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:31 PM
sickguy

I confirmed that the Z doesn't have an in-cabin microfilter. Anyone know how to get rid of the cigar smell from the vents as I've sprayed a lot of odor remover but it still smells terrible