Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How well does the Z handle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
JackMan017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How well does the Z handle?

I currently have a 04 Mustang Cobra (suspension mostly stock minus some subframe connectors) but the thought of a 350Z has crossed my mind. My next purchase isn't about power, I'm more concerned with handling. Handling, being mostly on the street, maybe an autocross or roadrace event once or twice.

My car is nice, gobs and gobs of power (569 RWHP, Whipple charged) but man, it just doesn't handle, yeah yeah I know its a mustang...

I read up that the suspension is the exact same for all models? So this would mean the 350Z track edition doesn't necessarily outhandle the other models? Are the brembo brakes on the track edition worth it? I was looking actually at the performance level 350Z, invoice is right around 28ish,29ish...right along my price range.

How does this car handle compared to the Evo's, Sti's, E36's, E46's, S2000's, etc...?

thanks!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 PM
MeetJoeAsian

for the price...it's badass...
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
JackMan017

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
for the price...it's badass...

vs. say spending $17K on a used 95 E36 with 65,000 miles? I know i'm comparing new vs. used, not exactly 'apples vs apples' comparison.

Performance model is invoiced according to Edmunds for 28,XXX, so If I pick one of these up for $31K or $32K OTD, its definitely worth it? If I like to stop how a ZO6 stops, maybe I should be looking at the track edition?

Do Z's suffer from Wheelhop? What's there suspension consist of? Are the struts seperate from the springs? (non coilover setup in stock form)
Old 09-08-2005, 02:35 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackMan017
Do Z's suffer from Wheelhop? What's there suspension consist of? Are the struts seperate from the springs? (non coilover setup in stock form)
I had some wheelhop with stock tires, but it did not persist with aftermarket tires and springs.

The struts are separate from the springs in the rear. Some, if not most aftermarket coilovers for the Z retain this configuration.

As for your other concerns, t
he Z is one of the most stiffest chasis cars I've ever driven. Comes out of the factory with a little understeer but nothing a good set of tires and $300-400 set of aftermarket sways can't dial out.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
JackMan017

thanks

Im researching on this board and found that the limited slip is available in enthusiast model, maybe the enthusiast is what i'm after? I'm not sure if I really need the VDC system, seem's a little overkill for me.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an enthusiast and upgrade everything yourself.

Here is a link to what a real 350z should be like. JK

http://rickdogg.onlineshowoff.com
Old 09-08-2005, 02:50 PM
KingOfV6

i can say from owning an s2000, the s2k feels somewhat the same, but has a different feel on curves, but the Z has amazing grip and can take corners at high speeds as long as you are able to control it depending on the situation goes.... this car is a track monster compared to s2k, and m3. Not sure on those awd cars, dont care much for them.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Enthusiast sounds right for you. If your buying new, the Performance model has been eliminated.

I intended to buy the Enthusiast but I wanted Brickyard (color), no spoiler, & wanted it "right now" in 12/02. Only model I could find in that combo in the state was the Performance. Love it but I would have been happy with Enthusiast.

Last edited by The Brickyard Rat; 09-08-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here’s an interesting article comparing the price and performance of several sports cars including the 350Z.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
JackMan017

Originally Posted by davidv
Here’s an interesting article comparing the price and performance of several sports cars including the 350Z.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

lol..I laugh because that magazine is still reading material in my bathroom, and I just set it down not more than two minutes ago... I've read that article over and over, amazing how the Z outlapped all other others in regards to time...

I was not aware that the perf. model was discontinued, that leaves me with either the enthusiast or the track model. If I were to purchase the enthusiast, how much am I looking dollar wise to upgrade to the brembo package found on the track model? I'm sure brembo makes even bigger packages than that, but roughly speaking anyone have an idea? Maybe I just need the track model If I want those brembos so bad. I'm a sucker for a car that brakes on a dime.

thanks everyone for the help, greatly appreciated!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

You might find an 05 Performance still on a car lot.

No idea on brake cost.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM
nicolaycastro

lol..I laugh because that magazine is still reading material in my bathroom, and I just set it down not more than two minutes ago... I've read that article over and over, amazing how the Z outlapped all other others in regards to time...

I was not aware that the perf. model was discontinued, that leaves me with either the enthusiast or the track model. If I were to purchase the enthusiast, how much am I looking dollar wise to upgrade to the brembo package found on the track model? I'm sure brembo makes even bigger packages than that, but roughly speaking anyone have an idea? Maybe I just need the track model If I want those brembos so bad. I'm a sucker for a car that brakes on a dime.

I have an Enthusiast moderl and it brakes great without the brembos. But if more brakeing powere is what you want you could probably get some grat stoptechs for around $3000, heck you could probably get the brembos for that in the classifieds section if thats what you want, I still would personaly go fot the big brake upgrade stoptechs.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
lzaffuto

Wheelhop is going to be an issue when dropping the hammer with anything that has both power and an independent rear suspension. That's why your Mustang has a live rear axle. It is the best for stoplight to stoplight and drag strip racing, which Ford figures most of their customers do most. The tradeoff for better handling through an IRS is not as good of traction and 1/4 mile times as a result. That's what you can't get most people with those types of cars to understand... they love to tell you how your car is a "dyno queen" because it makes lots of horsepower but it doesn't put out the 1/4 mile times of a Camaro or Mustang with the same amount of power. They convieniently forget the Corvette has the same problem though.

Really, as far as handling goes, the Z is one of the best in it's class. Stock for stock the S2000 has better handling and is a better track car, but it is totally impractical on the street because of the nature of the convertible top and the nature of the engine having to have the **** revved out of it to get that power. The all wheel drivers have superior traction on anything other than fresh pavement, but they also suffer from chronic understeer, lack of low-end torque/turbo lag, and drivetrain losses... plus more complicated and expensive to upgrade, repair, replace if that is an issue for you. I don't have much experience with BMWs, but I believe they have some weight issues just like the Skyline/G35 Coupe for the same reasons... lots of added and unnecessary luxury items(but they may make a better car for you if this is going to be your daily driver and that kind of thing is important to you).

There are pros and cons to the Z just like any other car, but it seems do the "jack of all trades, master of none" better than almost any car in the class and pricerange. At least for me it does. Your experience, like your tastes, may vary.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:39 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Made the same decision you are considering and haven't looked back. The Cobra I had was a few years older than yours and without f/i, but I found it lacking in the corners, so on went adj. shocks, springs, subframe connectors, fat wheels and tires, caster/camber plates, bump steer kit, etc. etc.

Even with all that my Z with the stock 17" tires would run circles around it on a track and with better ride quality, feedback and braking. Note: the stock brakes share the track models stopping distance, but not their fade resistance at the track. The Z's chassis stiffness is second to none...you will be shocked when compared to the Mustang.

Only now I'm having the exact opposite problem, now I've spent over $2000 on engine mods with little improvement. I suggest f/i if you crave power to match the Z's handling prowess.

I also enjoy the Z forums more, the owners are generally more knowledgeable about all cars-true enthusiasts vs. the Mustang crowd that tends to bleed blue. Z owners can be a tad superstitious though, as I don't think you'd be able to sell grounding kits to many Mustang owners. =)
Attached Thumbnails How well does the Z handle?-cobra-01.jpg  

Last edited by 350Zenophile; 09-08-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
JackMan017

Originally Posted by lzaffuto
Wheelhop is going to be an issue when dropping the hammer with anything that has both power and an independent rear suspension. That's why your Mustang has a live rear axle. It is the best for stoplight to stoplight and drag strip racing, which Ford figures most of their customers do most. The tradeoff for better handling through an IRS is not as good of traction and 1/4 mile times as a result. That's what you can't get most people with those types of cars to understand... they love to tell you how your car is a "dyno queen" because it makes lots of horsepower but it doesn't put out the 1/4 mile times of a Camaro or Mustang with the same amount of power. They convieniently forget the Corvette has the same problem though.

Really, as far as handling goes, the Z is one of the best in it's class. Stock for stock the S2000 has better handling and is a better track car, but it is totally impractical on the street because of the nature of the convertible top and the nature of the engine having to have the **** revved out of it to get that power. The all wheel drivers have superior traction on anything other than fresh pavement, but they also suffer from chronic understeer, lack of low-end torque/turbo lag, and drivetrain losses... plus more complicated and expensive to upgrade, repair, replace if that is an issue for you. I don't have much experience with BMWs, but I believe they have some weight issues just like the Skyline/G35 Coupe for the same reasons... lots of added and unnecessary luxury items(but they may make a better car for you if this is going to be your daily driver and that kind of thing is important to you).

There are pros and cons to the Z just like any other car, but it seems do the "jack of all trades, master of none" better than almost any car in the class and pricerange. At least for me it does. Your experience, like your tastes, may vary.
thank you for that writeup, just to let you know 03/04 Cobras come with IRS suspension, as well as the 99-00 Cobras, our IRS is stronger than the proceeding year Cobras.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 PM
JackMan017

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro
I have an Enthusiast moderl and it brakes great without the brembos. But if more brakeing powere is what you want you could probably get some grat stoptechs for around $3000, heck you could probably get the brembos for that in the classifieds section if thats what you want, I still would personaly go fot the big brake upgrade stoptechs.
After reading a couple articles it seems as if the Brembos on the track model basically help with fade resistance and multiple 100-0mph stops, seems like this is where they shine. Since i'm doing mostly street driving, I'm sure that I will be more than satisfied with the stock brakes found on the enthusiast model, brembos wouldnt hurt though
Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM
JackMan017

My Car is for sale, buy it so I can trade her up for a new enthusiast model or a one or two year old track model Z.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
zrausch

get an enthusiast or performance if there is still one on the lot. and since they are trying to get rid of 2005s for 2006 you could get a good deal and then if you wanted add some $400 sway bars and some stoptech brakes and you will be fine. then later on down the line you can buy some TEIN flex coilovers for amazing handling.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:20 PM
JackMan017

How much should I be paying OTD for an 05 enthusiast? our sales tax is 8%. No way I can trade my car in, too much money in mods need to sell it to someone who can appreciate the car for what it has done to it, but yeah soon as It gets sold I will run over and check the 05 inventory on dealership lots, try and score maybe an enthusiast model (05) for around 31K OTD?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Initially I was going to answer “Its the driver, not the car” but thought that it was brash. Besides, you already knew that.

Quick Reply: How well does the Z handle?