Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WHY is the 350z so damn WEAK ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 12:46 PM
nosuchsol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by slay2k

drake - You've left me little to say. In case you can't read, the car was a '99 M3. On top of that, BMW didn't make M3's in the year 2000, so if you're going to talk about German engineering, handling, and feedback, at least try not to sound like an idiot.
I'm just sticking up for Drake here, but you actually did say you were looking at a 2000 M-roadster.

"Now I'm leaning towards a 2000 M-Roadster. Please, HELP ME!
-slay"

And drake never said anything about a 2000 M3.. rather a 2000 BMW as per your post.

Anyhow, the BMW is a great car. Sadly to say I haven't had a chance to be behind the wheel of a M-coupe or M-roadster. I think with 315hp they would be a little fun. ;-) The E36 was a great car. The looks are slightly outdated but very fun. I had them on my list of "next car" until I decided the looks weren't up to snuff and the chance that something might break and cost me way more than other cars. Both will be fun, choose what you want. There was a review or article in a car magazine with the 300ZX TT and the BMW M3(1995 or so) going head to head at the track. The BMW had the Z32 in the corners, but the Z32 had it in the straightaways - I'd have to say with the current iteration of the Z that it would have it through the straights and twisties regardless of how it feels. Take pics of whatever you get. =)
Old 12-19-2002, 01:44 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by BlkOnBlk

Like pouring gasoline all over yourself and screaming, LIGHT ME!!!
OMG! I'm gonna have to remember that one.

Oh, and yeah your totally right. I had to stop myself from flaming this guy when this was a new post. I'm glad I stopped now but DAMN was he asking for it.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:46 PM
rai

Originally posted by BlkOnBlk
In all fairness to the page one posters, you did come onto a 350Z message board and start your post with an inflammatory question like....WHY IS THE 350Z SO DAMN WEAK?

Like pouring gasoline all over yourself and screaming, LIGHT ME!!! [/B]

Why is this thread so damn weak?

At first I felt sorry for flaming the guy but he asked for it. Then he's all like "stop guys your hurting my feelings".

If the Z is so damn weak DON'T BUY IT. Buy a 911 turbo or a jet bike.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:06 PM
bringthenoise

Default my .02

see RAIs comments-dont buy it!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 08:43 PM
slay2k

Default Interesting developments...

Herro.

Let me start off by saying that I knew I'd get people's attention by naming this thread what it is. Perhaps that wasn't very considerate - I think I just had feelings of "Damn, everything about this car is perfect, why not this ?" when I posted.

So, I was upset at the time.. I didn't want to get disappointed by such a car, in any way. I really did not mean to insult any of you, or your choice of cars. If I did, I'd like to apologize.

Today I've actually went for my fourth (yes, tis sad) test drive of the car. Why ? Because I needed to get it out of my system. I needed to prove to myself that this characteristic of the car would actually make me PASS IT UP as a choice. I wanted to ignore the presence of a salesman and push it to the limits to tap the power. So, I phoned up a dealer in North Jersey and told em I wanna test drive the Z. He said "Sure, come in."

I come in and meet an interesting, rather peculiar salesman from Kenya, South Africa. He simply laughs at me when I tell him I'd like to test drive it. He says to me, "You can't test drive it. Nobody has ever test driven the Zs at this dealership. They're very strict with that."

My response was "Well, I guess I was lied to on the phone then." About 15 seconds later, after a one-sentence exchange with his manager, I had the keys to the car in my hand and the salesman was happily walking along with me, excited for his first test-drive of this car!

As we're pulling out of the lot, he looks over and says "See that guy there ? That's Clark, my supervisor, he doesn't want anyone touching this car or test-driving it." My response was "So?" He looks at me laughing and comments with a heavy African accent "Yeah, **** him. He's an *******."

This loosened me up, and I started feeling comfortable with this guy. His next question was "Should I put the seatbelts on?" and my natural response was "You're gonna need em, pal." His response was a burst of laughter and panic, and about 3 seconds later I floored the pedal in first gear.

A surge of power rushed over the car as I shifted into the 2nd gear at about 5,000 RPM. "Wow, nice sound." rushed a thought through my brain. Applying full throttle once again in 2nd gear, the salesman looked quickly grabbed onto the door panels to hold on, and screamed out, with his laughter now subsiding, "DONT KILL ME MAN. I GOT KIDS." My face widened with a grin.

As the RPMs reached upwards of 5k, I threw the shifter into third, simultaneously rolling the windows down to hear the sweet exhaust note. We headed down the local highway and were approaching heavy traffic, so I calmed down somewhat, and started to relax on the throttle, since I also didn't wanna abuse someone's future car too much before its proper break-in. After a fun 20 minute ride we came inside to talk.

I was met by a manager and told that, if I took THAT nice Redline Touring MT6 within a day or two, it's possible they might not only knock off the ******** "Adjusted Market Value - $5,000" over MSRP, but sell the car to me at a price of a Performance model - $31,295... This is over $2,000 under MSRP. What do you guys think about that ? Should the fact that I almost redlined it within the first 100 miles have any effect on my decision ?

I think I've learned to respect the power of the Z, and will probably learn to do it even more so if I actually buy one. Sure, the way it accelerates may be somewhat different, but for the combination of its amazing design, handling, power, and PRICE, I don't think there's any other sane choice.

So now the question is... Sweet Redline or Daytona Blue ? =) Right after I thought I decided on the sexy Red, I saw the Blue and my jaw dropped. It's the most amazing blue color I've ever seen..

Anyways, thanks to many of you for the thought-provoking and very informative input. And as for the rest who took offense and thought it was proper to retaliate - I understand. If I owned the car and read such a post I may very well have reacted similarly.

Look forward to more good discussions.

-slay

Last edited by slay2k; 12-19-2002 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:58 PM
nosuchsol

Default Re: Interesting developments...

So now the question is... Sweet Redline or Daytona Blue ? =) Right after I thought I decided on the sexy Red, I saw the Blue and my jaw dropped. It's the most amazing blue color I've ever seen..
Heck, if you both for 2000 under MSRP then go with the color you want. =)
Old 12-19-2002, 09:12 PM
slay2k

No such luck, only the Red. Trying to work out a further discount with the blue =)
Old 12-19-2002, 09:15 PM
nosuchsol

No such luck, only the Red. Trying to work out a further discount with the blue =)
Nice that they're giving that deep of a discount. I figured you wouldn't see one that close to invoice for a while(beyond that one dealership offering 1k over invoice) - it's probably just cali keeping the prices up.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Boomer

How shall I say this..

Don't get your panties in a knot. I'm not trying to insult people here, I'm trying to get honest opinions.

With that out of the way, I'll answer some comments on an individual basis.

gambino, Z33, Daynar, Lee3Z, jeffw - thanks for making the only normal informative replies to my post.

drake - You've left me little to say. In case you can't read, the car was a '99 M3. On top of that, BMW didn't make M3's in the year 2000, so if you're going to talk about German engineering, handling, and feedback, at least try not to sound like an idiot.

Furthermore, looks and speed? Ahh yes, you're right, those shouldn't be important. I suppose you bought (or will buy) your Z for it's practical day-to-day use. The reason I didn't mention handling and other details is because they're irrelevant to my discussion as they are COMPARABLE between the two cars. Besides, if you want handling and feedback, go buy an Integra Type-R. For the amount of money I'm spending, I want looks and speed.

Finally, my "Short Drive in an M3" took about 45 minutes. And with regard to my age.. you've made enough of an *** of yourself by making that remark, so I'll just stop here.

john & tjz - If you're going to make one-line remarks, then I recommend you take your own advice.

throbbing_zon - Don't waste everyone's time with ubiquitous car HP information that everyone already knows. If you've got nothing to say, then don't bother. And if I sound like a "hater" to you, then you sound like a "moron" to me.

ares - you've made 2 posts. One of them was perfectly legitimate where you mentioned flooring the pedal will apply full throttle. Perhaps that's the reason I didn't enjoy test-driving the Z as much as I thought I would... I'm not doubting it's power, I'm doubting it's fun-factor.

As to the other post you made, about how you're going to be getting a car that IS fast ... the difference between the '99 M3 and the 350Z is about 1/10th of a second in 0-60, or 5.6. So I somehow doubt you will be passing me by if I get the M3.

rai - yeah that's it, I'm bs'ing because I've got nothing to do with myself. You got me.

And where exactly do you get your stats as per your statement that the M3 applies 90% throttle when you apply 30% of the gas pedal? Sounds like BS to me.

perucho - you impressed me with your maturity here.

Thanks for the input, or the lack of it for some of you.

-slay
Echo here, If you want to feel fast in the Z, you have to use most of the throttle. If I'm lazy, 20% throttle is fine, medium 50% throttle, etc. The Z doesn't feel fast for me until I hit at least 3/4 throttle because the torque makes acceleration so easy to keep up with traffic. If you use 3/4 throttle, you start passing cars, trucks, buses, telephone poles rapidly.

This the first sports car I have ever owned that doesn't feel fast until I'm at 3/4 or full throttle or over 100mph. I haven't owned a drive by wire throttle car before and I just got it broken in w/1400 miles on the odo. The faster I drive it, bury the throttle just for fun, the faster it feels and it is feeling faster as the miles mount up.

I have no other explanation except, above 5500 to redline at 6600rpm, I feel like its flying and the famous "on the cam" feeling happens. If you have to feel fast all the time, keep it in a lower gear so you won't get arrested.

Boomer--best I can do/say.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:14 PM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITS THIS SIMPLE: IF THE Z DONT MAKE U HAPPY THEN DONT GET IT.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:52 PM
D'oh

Glad to hear you liked your test drive, and to answer your question, it is extremely unlikely that revving to 5000 a couple times before the breakin period is over will damage the engine. In fact, there are quite a few on the board who swear up and down that the MFG break in reccommendations do not help and actually cause the engine to run more slowly later in life.

I followed the break in procedure as best I could, but found that it was very difficult to keep the RPM's below 4K, so I occasionally broke the rules like you. Would try not to make a habit of it though.

-D'oh!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:02 AM
sdpearso

Originally posted by D'oh
Glad to hear you liked your test drive, and to answer your question, it is extremely unlikely that revving to 5000 a couple times before the breakin period is over will damage the engine. In fact, there are quite a few on the board who swear up and down that the MFG break in reccommendations do not help and actually cause the engine to run more slowly later in life.

I followed the break in procedure as best I could, but found that it was very difficult to keep the RPM's below 4K, so I occasionally broke the rules like you. Would try not to make a habit of it though.

-D'oh!
Drive it hard during the break in period as long as you let it warm up and don't drive it cold. $2K off is good, but I have a feeling they'll give you close on the blue car if you walk away.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:31 AM
zpeedDemon

Why waste time convincing this guy that the Z is such a beautiful car in our eyes. In the first place he will never be happy with Zness and I think he should just get that New 50k dollar$ BMW M3+ tax and all that crap that comes out to like 60k. Or a used beat up M3 or god who knows what else the previous owner did to that car.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:56 AM
Traffic

I usually use the 'Ignore' function for people like this. But I see you came around, which is reassuring.

But I will say, the Z is subtle, it's not a turbo, so you won't get that 'Oh, God please save me' feeling. I've taken a couple friends around and they usually are shocked when I say 'oh, we got up to 110 there' because they thought I was doing 70.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:03 AM
nosuchsol

Default Re: weak Z

Originally posted by richsingley
dude...you probably thought OJ was innocent too....you are a contra...enoyment of thrill of taking the opposite position. contras are usually galss half empty people..sorry but you are in the minority...whee you probbaly usually are. The roadster is pefect for you..
up up down down left right left right b a b a start - fun stuff
Old 12-20-2002, 11:08 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by nosuchsol
Nice that they're giving that deep of a discount. I figured you wouldn't see one that close to invoice for a while(beyond that one dealership offering 1k over invoice) - it's probably just cali keeping the prices up.
They are starting to drop down to where I don't feel bad paying list. Notice the classifieds today, another dealer going well under list on some cancellations (in MI).

The dealers are starting to have them on the lot here in quantity.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:06 PM
zpeedDemon

One more thing saw a picture of a Lamborghini Diablo on fire. For a half a million dollar car I expect myself not to be engulfed with flame.

Quick Reply: WHY is the 350z so damn WEAK ?