Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 05:31 PM
VaGentleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slay2k
350z Newbie

WHY is the 350z so damn WEAK ?
Okay guys, PLEASE hear me out

ermmm..cuz you don't know how to drive it??

Just a thought.

VG
Old 12-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Radek_x

Cool ???

Perhaps I'm missing something in that original post (and some of the subsequent ones), but I don't have to floor the gas pedal in order to get enough power to pin me back in the seat. I noticed that most of the time, I barely touch the gas pedal to get enough power to flow with the traffic. If you floor it in the 3rd gear at 5,000 RPMs, the car leaps forward and drives like a bat out of hell.
A couple of nights ago, I raced a Boxter S-type from a complete stop at 3 in the morning, and he never had a chance.

Now, I recently drove a 2003 BMW M3, and there is no comparison - the car is undoubtedly better than the 350 Z. But at $60,000, it has to be, and I don't get people who say that they are undecided between the two vehicles. If you're looking to spend that kind of money, I don't even think that you're seriously considering the 350 Z
Old 12-21-2002, 12:03 PM
rai

Originally posted by Eyeball
There really is a lot of convincing evidence that would make one shy away from a 30+ car that has soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many problems. rattle rattle rattle rattle rattle. if you think you hear sant and his reinderr coming with the jingle bells. wrong! it's the little z. someone please help me. why does it rattle so much. i might buy one next year until then i'll stick with my 03 porsche carrera and smoke the tiny rattle contraption with comfort and quiet. yeah, it costs more. but remember what the fool what was told at the village square, or was that the village idiot?

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA S. O. T.

S. M. D. - G. F. Y. - Y.C.S. - Y.M.F. - F..... riddle me this
Riddle me this how come you have a yellow and red card and yet you only have 13 posts?
Old 12-21-2002, 12:39 PM
CrazyBosnian

Default Re: WHY is the 350z so damn WEAK ?

Originally posted by slay2k
Okay guys, PLEASE hear me out!

This is the THIRD (!) time I've test-driven 3 different models of 3 different Zs...

Pushing the pedal down in any gear results in GRADUAL, "LINEAR acceleration". There's no sudden sense of URGENCY or the RUSH you get when you do the same thing in another sports car, unless of course you FLOOR IT and let the tach hit 4000+ RPMs, and even THEN it doesn't give a tremendous boost.

It seems like I'm the only one who notices this "tiny detail", but I'm wondering how the majority of you can be so happy with your Zs that you overlook this crucial aspect of the drive, or are simply ACCEPTING it...

How can the car have a 5.4/5.5 0-60 time and feel so inadequate unless you floor the pedal and let the tach hit high RPMs ?

For comparison, today I drove a USED 1999 M3 (6cyl, 240 hp) with 50000+ miles on it this afternoon.... THIS car absolutely blew me away. The pickup in ANY gear, at ANY RPM, was insanely faster and more responsive than that of the Z. And I can get this car for $31,000 or so... even cheaper than a brand new Z.

HOW CAN THIS BE ? How can the Z have a 0-60 time of 5.x and feel so DULL and SLOW during pickup ?

Some of you have said that this is due to drive-by-wire and linear acceleration. Well, if that is the case, then linear acceleration sucks. I'm not shelling out $33,000+ for a Sports car to feel the acceleration GRADUALLY increase when I ask for it. And I don't want to hear the car hitting 5,000 rpms when I want a nice boost... the M3 doesn't do that... the M3 gives me a boost even when I'm at 2,000 or 1,500 RPM!

Matter of fact, the M3 PUSHES ME BACK INTO THE SEAT. The Z350 simply DOESNT.

Now what's really sad is that I absolutely ADORE the way the 350z looks, especially in red. Not only that, but I actually have a deposit down on a Daytona Blue Performance model which comes in TOMORROW... I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of cancelling...

Someone please set me straight. What in god's name am I doing different from all of you ? How can I notice this and ignore it ? Are the rest of you blinded by the LEGACY, BEAUTY, and STYLE of the car that you don't need to feel this rush when you drive ?

I swear, my heart rate increased THREE-FOLD when I drove the M3, without even pushing it to the limits... I never even hit 5,000 RPM !! This never happened with the Z.. =(( I really wish it did, since it's a beautiful and nice car.

Now I'm leaning towards a 2000 M-Roadster. Please, HELP ME!

-slay
SInce you are so upset my friend, to make u feel better, if you ever come my way, i'll let u test drive my car, it does put you back in the seat, so much that you will want to puke...
Old 12-21-2002, 06:30 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I don't think slay2k is off base at all. My Dad's 2000 M jumps when I hit the gas, and that's got less HP than the Z. The Z just pulls. That's what it feels like, at least. Jump vs. pull. The M is a bit lighter and a half-second faster in 0-60. They both keep delivering power as long as you hold down the pedal. So I'm not saying there's much of a *real* difference, but there are two very different feels.

I think the most significant reason the Z feels slower is that you're sitting up higher. You know how things that are farther away seem to move slower when you're driving, such as a tree or mountain? Well, you're head is farther from the ground in the Z because you're sitting pretty high, unlike any other sportscar I've driven. Theoretically, try leaving your door open and stick your head out next to the road. You'll think you're doing warp speed.

Some of the reason is that the M has a smoother I-6 engine, and the Z has a pretty chunky V-6 that feels almost like a V-8 truck! The M doesn't seem to struggle as much to do what it does, so it makes me more likely to push it. The Z makes more of a production out of it, and it worries me about attracting attention from others, and especially cops.

Let's say the light turns green, and there's a mini-van and Honda Accord on either side of me. Just to keep up with them, and go normal speeds, my engine will be about twice as loud as both, and it will seem almost like I'm racing, even though I'm not. But if I did push it, I'd fly effortlessly by them (to the next red light, yay!).
Old 12-21-2002, 08:34 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all exhausts sound different, some are just louder than others. It doesnt mean the engine is struggling.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:57 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Of course, an engine cannot struggle outside of an anthropomorphization such as this. My points is, with the Z, you're much more conscious of the sound of the engine even you're not really working it that hard. The M's engine is much smoother, even though it produces a similar amount of power and the stick vibrates exactly like the Z's. The car just jumps forward before you even notice the engine "struggling" to deliver that power. All engines struggle in the sense I mean. You just can't always feel it as in the Z.