Old 06-28-2002, 01:41 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

People make decisions..others are offended by these decisions

That's life...deal with it

For those that decide to leave the site because a man chose to keep his word...I'll miss you...some of us still think a man's honor is worth something
Old 06-28-2002, 01:42 AM
kroams

I honestly don't even see why Jay should be tied to this emargo anyway. He is not part of the press nor writing journalistic articles about the 350Z. He is simply running a enthusiast website forum where anyone can speak their mind. If you visit the forums on the ACLU you wouldn't believe some of the things people say yet nothing gets moderated. Unless Nissan is going to start paying Jay serious advertising money or bribing him with secret information just so they can keep a tight hold on his site, I don't see what Jay owes them. Nissan is not going to sue you for what other people post. Freshalloy has a long standing relationship with Nissan (ie. received early specs and pics of the Altima with permission to post before anyone else online) and even Noel over there has not removed info just because its leaked or part of an embargo which is really something arranged between Nissan and the car magazines. I have been checking these Z sites daily looking for leaks, spy pics and pre-released info. Once that ends it won't be nearly as exciting except for people discussing mods and problems they run into. If we just wanted to know official stuff from NNA we could have just checked nissannews.com each day instead of discussing leaks/rumors here. If these boards get moderated too much I think most people will go elsewhere when exciting releases happen in the future but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited by kroams; 06-28-2002 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:52 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Jay, I had posted a couple weeks ago that I was afraid you had gone over to the dark side because of your refusal to release info that you had learned from sources other than Nissan. I thought you raised some excellant points in your response regarding why you believed that you could not posts things that you had learned elsewhere. I do believe, however, that you have now gone WAY too far by appointing yourself as NISSAN'S OFFICIAL CENSOR. (I hope at least Nissan is paying you for that job.) I think you subvert the very purpose of the internet when you set your self up as judge and jury as far as what info people can share here that they have learned on their own. The internet is supposed to be about the free exchange of ideas, not a tool for corporations to stifle the free flow of information.

Jay, you run a great site, but I think you are WAY OFF BASE on this issue. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:54 AM
kroams

On the copyright/trademark side of it I completely understand. The guy who saved the C&D pages and has them linked online is absolutely breaking the law. Providing a link to that site is probably not against the law however since technically Jay is not hosting the content in question.

Perhaps I missed an earlier discussion about this but what does I was told point blank by Nissan that those that respect the Embargo get the perks mean? What perks are they offering you? Are they giving you something personal in exchange for controlling the information on your site or are you saying you will receive early information about future cars? If its a promise for future information won't we be back in this same situation where you can't tell us anything? That does not seem to help the site or the enthusiasts as much as sharing leaked information.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:58 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Jay,

As a card-carrying member of the My350Z Club (or will be card-carrying once we get them) I appreciate you not pissing off the Nissan folks. Yes, there was a time when Jay posted everything he heard from his sources. Then, Nissan contacted him and asked him to stop. He said he would, gave his word that he would, and that's that.

For those of you that think Jay has gone soft for not posting, or allowing to be posted, information Nissan has asked to not be released, think about the long-term effects. July 3 is next week, the my350Z club will be around for years. I can live with waiting the extra few days for the quiet period to end, knowing that our club will have a good working relationship with Nissan. Do you think the Southern California Z Car club that met at Fuddruckers earlier this month has a good relationship with Nissan? Wouldn't it be nice for our club to have some pull?

Serenidad, I agree with you that Jay, as host, probably wouldn't be held liable for posts made on this forum. But that's not the issue.

So, we can discuss what we like/dislike about the car, why we think it will/won't be as fast as we'd like, which color we think is the coolest, but we can't post the text or a link to the text of the C&D article.

I can live with that.

Dave
Old 06-28-2002, 01:59 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by JmanZ
<b> JULY 3rd</b>

I was asked a simple thing, I am keeping my word. Obviously that whole keeping my word thing escapes some people because it seems to against what they'd do or what they'd like me to do. It doesn't escape me though.

-j-
2 comments:

1. You gave your word to Nissan that you would censor this site and take down things that other people had learned on their own because Nissan wants to suppress that info. Why would you do that?

2. JAY I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU -- "Obviously that whole keeping my word thing escapes people because it seems to [be] against what they'd do." What was that last comment if not a FLAME. You are saying anyone who disagrees with you ARE LIARS WHO DON'T KEEP THEIR WORD? Come-on Jay, you're above that. Obviously this whole thing is getting to you. I can't speak for anyone else, but I firmly believe in keeping my word, I also am firmly against censorship, and I am offended that you would call me a liar merely because I disagree with the censorship you are doing on this site.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:00 AM
NJZ

Ok. I've been with this site for a long time but I haven't really posted much since I've joined. This is a great site and all of you should be thankful that jmanz is doing this for you guys. He doesn't get paid for doing this. I know people send in there donations but he doesn't make you pay the money. Now jmanz gave his word to Nissan. Being a man of my word too, I know why he's holding back this information and it really does take a MAN to do this. For all of you who don't like what he's doing, like jmanz said, just leave. But I can guarantee you that this will be the first site/forum to release all the information that everyone has been dying for. I can also guarantee that all you people that leave my350z.com WILL come back when everything is released July 3rd. Sure it'll be on those other forums (zcar, fresh alloy). But where do you think that they get their info from? If you have ever been to those sites you will constantly find posts that they have credited to my350z.com or they will even link you to the site. Yeah exactly. It all comes back to this site. So everyone just stop acting immature, calm down and be patient. It's not like it's the end of the world. Oh yeah and it seems like that the young ones are the most mature members of this forum. VQracer I gotta give you credit for that. Oh yeah and by the way....I'm only 17.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:01 AM
Zoro

Default Perhaps

I'm not for sure but I think perhaps he may have received the publicity or press pack, and may have had to sign something that legally binds him from releasing any info. And is is his board and his ***, so he has got to do what's best for him.

I don't wann get a brown nose here but my original thoughts were a "ditto" of Dr. Bonz
Old 06-28-2002, 02:05 AM
nizl

First off, JmanZ, I know that people like exsilio and myself think you're still doing a great job. Otherwise we would "just leave". So I think you may take some of the constructive criticism a bit too personally. And flaming people back is a little hypocritical, you know?

Originally posted by JmanZ
I am fine with RUMORS.... post a RUMOR all you like. If you are unsure, email or pm me. I don't want to be the bad guy here, but some of you are really leaving me no choice.
Well... this is a bit of a gray area, you know? I mean, for all we know, that C&D article is a forgery, right? And the online version was somebody else's cache copy. Maybe the weight's just plain wrong.

It's not like you're endorsing it, or posting it as the latest news. It's heresay.

This July 3rd embargo will not be the last one. There will be one for the convertible, and possible T/C, and next year's model, and everything else...

It's your call, but ultimately people will "just leave" and go to another site if they have all the hot news. It's the way things are. Which would be too bad considering all the stuff this site has going for it.

Last edited by nizl; 06-28-2002 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:10 AM
kroams

If Jay got a press pack and had to sign something saying he wouldn't disclose it I think that was inappropriate. If Jay was looking out for himself to get whatever info he could to satisfy his desires then thats one thing. If this site's purpose is to support the 350Z enthusiast base to help us help eachother by sharing the latest information then I don't think Jay should have accepted the press pack if he had to sign that. The magazines put alot of time into getting an article together and I can understand why they would need info early so they can have it ready in time. To make sure no one jumps the gun I can see why Nissan would say that they can have the info but must wait until July 3rd. To me (unless Jay is planning to write an article that he had to prepare for) it seems like Nissan bribed Jay with early information in exchange for helping Nissan to limit the spread of leaked info. I am not saying if I was in Jay's shoes I wouldn't do the same thing to get my hands on the dirt, but Nissan knew what they were doing here and I think it was out of line for them to do it. In the present situation I can see why Jay wouldn't want to violate it, but if roles were reversed I would have done whatever it takes not to be under Nissan's influence.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:20 AM
neo4mni

Jay,

I don't know if your reading this, I feel for you brother.

(Ready for the cliches?)

You will never please everybody all the time, people will always want their cake and eat it too!

I for one am grateful for this site, this is where i get most of my news from. I'm glad you spent the time & money to put it up.

As with any rights we may or may not have, those rights come with responsibilities and a respect for the rules that Jmanz has instituted as owner of this site.

Quick Reply: Work with me here....