Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z crashes at a reported 100 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Kanyon71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
It's the law. If you are racing against someone and they die, they can go after you and charge you with Manslaughter.
Sorry I didnt know that. Then I stand corrected.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<starts being a jerk about street racing>

so did he win?

it's all about having the fastest car right?

</ends being a jerk about street racing>
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Fletch69z

Jeez, proof that just because a young kid can afford a car he may not be ready for it.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:21 PM
angelzhope720

Damn, he was going 100 and that's what happened? I mean I know 100 is very fast but the Z can hit 120 on 5th from 80 in a matter of seconds. I should drive slower on highways.

RIP to the Zer.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Unhappy

Originally Posted by J.Diddy.Yo
How sad. Just goes to show that not all 20 year old drivers are mature enough to be driving...
Hell I'm 20 and I am a responsible driver
Its all about the choices one makes
If one chooses to endanger him/her self, the car (my baby!), and/or others then one takes the responsibility of one's actions.
You cannot generalize all teens and early 20 year olds are immature and are all speed freaks.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"You cannot generalize all teens and early 20 year olds are immature and are all speed freaks."

Most of us agree with you.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:59 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

+1

I've met many mature/responsible teens & very immature/irresponsible adults so this really depends on the individual.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:08 PM
jrod1014

It's the law. If you are racing against someone and they die, they can go after you and charge you with Manslaughter.
The law is more complicated than that.

1. Most states, if not all, don't have a clear statute that penalizes "street racing". In most states, you'll probably get a wreckless driving ticket among a stack of others depending on the cop and how strongly he feels for or against street racing.

2. If you were to see your opponent wreck and explode into a ball of flames, under the good samaritan laws, you are under NO obligation to stop and assist UNLESS you appear like you are going to help. Chances are you are gonna continue driving away and this is perfectly legal. Legal? you might ask. Yes, legal. Again there is no statute that specifically targets street racing like, for example, hit and run where you are required to stop. If your vehicles don't collide, nothing will happen to you which brings me to point number 3.

3. Assuming everything doesn't go your way and you are, for some reason, charged with manslaughter, vehicular homicide, murder 2, or whatever, chances are the district attorney will drop your case because the case would be difficult to prove. You can simply admit to speeding and the person who recked wanted to show off his car and pass you. In the process, he lost control and killed himself. Your fault? No. And frankly, is it your fault that someone else takes up the race? IMO, the district attorney won't waste his time and you'll probably plea down to some misdemeanor and get community service, if that.

The reason I say what I say is becuase I am actually in the process of studying law and criminology hoping to become an attorney. Let me first say that I don't pretend to know it all and anything can happen, but after seeing cases FAR worse than street racing get pleaed out or dropped, chances are you are gonna walk away after some fines for street racing. In Miami, there will be the occasional street race gone bad and "teens died" on the news. The reporter always says "this person was street racing" but they never, NEVER mentioned the other car that was possibly racing, or reach out to the public to find them. They never say "the police are looking for the other driver, etc..." The bottom line is: you race, you wreck, you die, your a$s...
Old 09-28-2005, 04:34 PM
bmxox

Id like to actually see that law in writing. It makes no sense, indiviuals drive how they want. For instance the 2 cars here racing, its not like the other guy was forcing the kid in z to race him, the kid in the z didnt have to go above the speed limit at all, its his fault. Not the guy he was "racing." Now if one of the cars racing hit another vehicle or a person and that person was killed, then yes that makes sense because it was directly that persons fault that his vehicle hit another.

But it is not the fault of the person in the car your racing that you lost control and killed yourself or someone else.

"you race, you wreck, you die, your a$s..." - agreed
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
350ztoronto

Originally Posted by bmxox
Id like to actually see that law in writing. It makes no sense, indiviuals drive how they want. For instance the 2 cars here racing, its not like the other guy was forcing the kid in z to race him, the kid in the z didnt have to go above the speed limit at all, its his fault. Not the guy he was "racing." Now if one of the cars racing hit another vehicle or a person and that person was killed, then yes that makes sense because it was directly that persons fault that his vehicle hit another.

But it is not the fault of the person in the car your racing that you lost control and killed yourself or someone else.

"you race, you wreck, you die, your a$s..." - agreed

agreed ^_^
Old 09-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Jetpilot718

For those who are saying "he made his bed..", I'd like to remind you that everyone on here at one time or another has done something stupid and potentially life-threatening. It just sucks when someone has to pay for it. RIP, regardless whether he was "stupid" or not for street racing.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Nismo 350z

Just goes to Show that 1.7 Tons traveling at 100mph+ = 1 hell of a lot of energy.
+100. Don't mess with physics or it hand you ur @$$. But man thats so sad. May the driver RIP. But the other posters were right, you race, you crash, you die. I am 21 and had my Z given to me as a b-day gift last year. I love my car and i take it the track to explore it limits. The fastest I have gone was 145 on the sreets of willow. Yeah I am guilty of going 90-100 on the fwy but I am cruising and I know how to use my brakes and back off. Thats only when the fwy is open. ALWAYS take it on the track. Plus the Z is more of a road/ circuit racer than a drag car. And yeah there are responsible young drivers and carless old driver and vice versa. Seems like both drivers were inexperienced.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Kanyon71

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718
For those who are saying "he made his bed..", I'd like to remind you that everyone on here at one time or another has done something stupid and potentially life-threatening. It just sucks when someone has to pay for it. RIP, regardless whether he was "stupid" or not for street racing.
Yes we all have probably done stupid things, I know I have done in excess of 100 (well in excess) when I have my 97 Cobra, BUT I have always told myself I will only do these type of things when it's late I can see for a good distance and no one is around. My reasoning has always been if something goes wrong the only person I want to die from my stupidity is me.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:45 PM
ZlleH

I'm sure he was thinking the same thing as you too.

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Yes we all have probably done stupid things, I know I have done in excess of 100 (well in excess) when I have my 97 Cobra, BUT I have always told myself I will only do these type of things when it's late I can see for a good distance and no one is around. My reasoning has always been if something goes wrong the only person I want to die from my stupidity is me.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Jetpilot718

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I'm sure he was thinking the same thing as you too.

Thank you, exactly my point. None of us know when we're turning the key that it may be the last time we get to. No amount of safety measures can ever guarantee safety 100%, anything can happen.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by jrod1014
The law is more complicated than that.

1. Most states, if not all, don't have a clear statute that penalizes "street racing". In most states, you'll probably get a wreckless driving ticket among a stack of others depending on the cop and how strongly he feels for or against street racing.

2. If you were to see your opponent wreck and explode into a ball of flames, under the good samaritan laws, you are under NO obligation to stop and assist UNLESS you appear like you are going to help. Chances are you are gonna continue driving away and this is perfectly legal. Legal? you might ask. Yes, legal. Again there is no statute that specifically targets street racing like, for example, hit and run where you are required to stop. If your vehicles don't collide, nothing will happen to you which brings me to point number 3.

3. Assuming everything doesn't go your way and you are, for some reason, charged with manslaughter, vehicular homicide, murder 2, or whatever, chances are the district attorney will drop your case because the case would be difficult to prove. You can simply admit to speeding and the person who recked wanted to show off his car and pass you. In the process, he lost control and killed himself. Your fault? No. And frankly, is it your fault that someone else takes up the race? IMO, the district attorney won't waste his time and you'll probably plea down to some misdemeanor and get community service, if that.

The reason I say what I say is becuase I am actually in the process of studying law and criminology hoping to become an attorney. Let me first say that I don't pretend to know it all and anything can happen, but after seeing cases FAR worse than street racing get pleaed out or dropped, chances are you are gonna walk away after some fines for street racing. In Miami, there will be the occasional street race gone bad and "teens died" on the news. The reporter always says "this person was street racing" but they never, NEVER mentioned the other car that was possibly racing, or reach out to the public to find them. They never say "the police are looking for the other driver, etc..." The bottom line is: you race, you wreck, you die, your a$s...

Hmmm just because you street race and the other driver wrecks and kills himself does not mean you won't go to jail. You make it sound like they just give you a slap on the wrist most of the time. Here are several people charged or convicted with manslaughter from street racing:
Arrests:
http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/090304b.htm
http://www.co.bexar.tx.us/da2/PressR...2/04112002.htm
http://www.vvdailypress.com/2004/10935251258996.html
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2304359/detail.html

Convictions:
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/3244942/detail.html
http://www.10news.com/news/2213766/detail.html
http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Jun/20040619News009.asp
http://www.bootsandsabers.com/index..../comments/5181
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/sr020112.htm
Old 09-28-2005, 07:27 PM
jrod1014

Hmmm just because you street race and the other driver wrecks and kills himself does not mean you won't go to jail. You make it sound like they just give you a slap on the wrist most of the time. Here are several people charged or convicted with manslaughter from street racing:
Arrests:
http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/090304b.htm
http://www.co.bexar.tx.us/da2/PressR...2/04112002.htm
http://www.vvdailypress.com/2004/10935251258996.html
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2304359/detail.html

Convictions:
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/3244942/detail.html
http://www.10news.com/news/2213766/detail.html
http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Jun/20040619News009.asp
http://www.bootsandsabers.com/index..../comments/5181
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/sr020112.htm
That's not what i said... There are cases where you will be arrested and will go to jail and what I said is not a free ticket to everyone to get out there and race.

It just doesn't happen as frequently as you think. You posted a few links there... Under your arrests, try following up on them... I am curious as to how many actually had charges stick, though it would be nice as some of those contain DUIs.

Looking at your convicted (meaning the charges actually stuck)... Some of those cases are DUI (i think like 3/5 you posted)and another case contains a kid who only got 120 days in jail and probation for taking a life... While it sucks to be in jail, to me that's a slap on the wrist, and his record will be cleared...

Here is a quote from one of the only cases where they were really taken in for racing "Deputy District Attorney Dan Lamborn did not apologize for charging the defendants with murder -- possibly the first time that had been done in such a case in California."
The first time?... meaning how many get away?...

Again, this isn't a ticket to just get out there and commit crimes and race... I'm just saying arrests don't happen as often as people think or make it out to be. There are exigent circumstances that surround these cases and to be honest, looking at how they are spread out (the cases you cited) over time versus how many cases are going on right now like the 20yr old in this example, I still think not much will happen if you are caught.

Edit: Police are trying cracking down on it though. They do things like impound your car and hurt your pocket by fining you if you are caught but nothing real serious like jail time and whatnot... And in reality all of this sucks... I think there should be more done when others are killed because of street racing so don't get me wrong...

Last edited by jrod1014; 09-28-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718
None of us know when we're turning the key that it may be the last time we get to. No amount of safety measures can ever guarantee safety 100%, anything can happen.
That's why the smart ones are those who learn from others' mistakes.

Last edited by usmanasif; 09-28-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 PM
dmoffitt

Sorry, but without going back and reading between the "RIP" and "his own fault" posts, have we ever heard it was a PROVEN thing he was racing or is this all conjecture?!?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 PM
ZlleH

+1

The original poster stated:
"Apparently it might have been racing a BMW who was driving just as fast."

So, it came from an assumption from the original poster who probably heard the same assumption from another person who was there and this whole board has jumped on the band wagon of loathing, hating and disrespecting a death of a human being who may have not even been racing.

I guess "apparently" and "might have" are words to start a witch-hunt on this person that died.

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
Sorry, but without going back and reading between the "RIP" and "his own fault" posts, have we ever heard it was a PROVEN thing he was racing or is this all conjecture?!?

Quick Reply: 350z crashes at a reported 100 MPH