Sponsored by:

Options After Accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 05:40 PM
HokieZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options After Accident

Some of you may have seen my post regarding my off-road encounter with a tree:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/146323-that-ll-buff-right-out-or-probably-not-pictures-ouch.html

I'm still battling with the insurance co about totaling it if there is frame damange (which I believe there is) but assuming it ends up being repaired, I'm wondering what my options for changing some of the exterior parts are. Can I specify I want it replaced with aftermarket parts (and pay the difference if more expensive than OEM) or can it only be put back the way it was prior to the accident?

Just curious
Old 10-08-2005, 05:56 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the pictures. Personally, if the insurance company is determined to fix it, as soon as it's fixed, I'd sell it and start shopping. I know that's not what you're asking, but I would never be able to trust that car again.

That said, I think if you want, you can change out any of the "cosmetic parts" you want in the repair process. The insurance company will basically "cut a check" for the damages. You are free to work within the confines of that dollar amount, and supplement if needed. That would be between you and the shop. The insurance company wouldn't care or need to know. What mods did you have in mind?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:59 PM
HokieZ

I honestly don't know. For the start I was considering the nismo front lip, side skirts, and rears since I'll need a new front bumper, passenger side skirts, and rear bumper anyways, might as well have them all put on and installed/painted at the same time.

I'm still pushing for a totaling.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM
kcobean

So it sounds like you're talking more about "add-ons" than substitutions. The shop will do it for you I'm sure, though it will likely cost you out of pocket since the insurance company costs won't cover these additional pieces.....that is of course unless you can get the adjuster/shop to up the estimate of damages to pad your mods a bit....but that's risky business.

I'm with you, I'd push hard for the total.

FWIW, when my wife got hit in our Montero, the damages were a few grand short of the amount required to consider the vehicle a total (in other words, it was more cost effective for them to repair the car than to pay us it's replacement value). They gave us the option of selling the carcass to a repair shop for the difference between the damage estimate and the replacement value. The insurance company cut us a check for the damage amount and the repair shop cut us a check for a dollar amount that, combined with the insurance check, equalled the replacement value of the vehicle. We didn't want the car after it had been hit, so this was a GREAT option for us. You should ask your ins. company about this if the damage estimate comes anywhere close to the replacement value. Our insurance company even helped us find a shop that would buy our car. It was quite simple.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:15 PM
HokieZ

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll certainly broach that with them should the need arise. I think someplace could make a fortune parting it out. The engine compartment is in perfect shape, so are the headlights, airbags, etc. so they could sell the engine, transmission, brakes, airbags, headlights, etc.

Last edited by HokieZ; 10-08-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by HokieZ
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll certainly broach that with them should the need arise. I think someplace could make a fortune parting it out. The engine compartment is in perfect shape, so are the headlights, airbags, etc. so they could sell the engine, transmission, brakes, airbags, headlights, etc.
when you consider that they can basically repair the car for the cost of parts + their internal labor overhead, they'd make a killer profit anyway they go.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
06daytona

in tx we call that the salvage value of the veh. cant tell you how its done in va but good luck. did they tell you the value of your car nada or blue book?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:22 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Read your policy. I’m certain that it says “restore to condition prior to accident.” That means no aftermarket body parts.

What you may be able to do is negotiate a cash settlement. Once you have the check, and release the insurer from any farther responsibility, then the money is for you to do as you please.