2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Best Car Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Car Cover?

what is the best car cover? i live in a valley in southwest virginia, and its going to get nasty here in a couple months. I don't have a garage, so I need an outdoor cover. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in NJ and have the same problem...I didn't want to pay $100+ per month on a storage unit, so I bought a Custom fit Wolf Car Cover from www.autobarn.com
I think mine is the Evolution model (I'd go with the Evolution or Noah styles). Both offer rain, snow, dust protection and are very sturdy and well built.

Plus, the part of the cover that touches the car is a very soft, breathable material that won't scratch your paint. A lot less expensive than the Z car cover from Nissan too, though some people may recommend getting it.

Here's the link:

http://204.228.150.1/products/index....D=none&ACTION=

Last edited by Racer Z; 10-17-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:41 PM
usmanasif

That is mentioned often. Try searching for it. Many seem to like the OEM Z cover.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Aloha350z

The OEM cover is good only for protecting against dust when your Z is parked in a garage. I got one, and the parts dept. mgr. at the Nissan dealership I went to told me not to get it if I plan on leaving my car covered outside. Not very heavy-duty, IMO.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the Genuine Nissan cover from Courtesy. It has all the features that you would expect for $200:

Window for license plate
Antenna pouch
Grommets for tie-down
Insulation to protect from exhaust burn

The cover is on the Z about 16 hours/day: wind, rain and snow. Its water repellent, not waterproof. A light rain and the car is dry. During a heavy downpour, the car will get wet. For care, I wash it in a front loading commercial machine, then dry it on the car. Then spray the top with Scotch Guard. I can take it on or off in about 3 minutes. A week after washing the Z (and using the cover), the Z is clean except for the front wheels. Definitely recommended.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Z_Driver
Master

I picked up a 300 Series Wolf Car Cover For $44.95 at Costco. It uses the Block it material. Universal fit but, fits nicely all the way down past the wheels. It is only 4inchs off the ground. It you tie it around the center you set for serious weather. I have used the Wolf cover for years on other cars. It will handle snow, rain, rays and debris as they state it.

With the Wolf Car Cover they recommend you clean the cover on the car and let it air dry. You use a general cleaner mixed with water and rinse off. That's it.

What nice about the cover is it is thick enough to fight off light stuff dropping on it. If you car going through the garage with bikes, mowers etc and hit the side of the car there is no damage to the paint. It also ward off the door dings. If a door get layed up against it. Your paint won't chip. If the door get slammed against it; you'll see a dent(job for dentless pro) but the paint will be fine. With the lighter covers you might get a marr. Yet, it is still light enough to use. Maybe 7lbs total weight.

Cloth covers can be washed in your washer but will not protect against the heavier elements like heavy rain and snow. It wouldn't protect you from door dings or chips either most likely. At least this has been my exprience.

I use these covers on three of my four cars and am trying to find one to fit my Pathfinder this year.

Here you seen one on my 350Z (left) and my Firebird (It's brand new today). And yes, I use them everyday when I go out. Just roll them up and throw them in the trunk. I roll in thirds to the center roll front to rear to take off and rear to front to install. Systems that is what it all about with a car cover. Don't just ball it up.
It will make it a lot harder to put on each time.

I hope this helps.

Good luck ....

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-18-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:49 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Sorry man but that car cover makes it look like your Z has a woody.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:31 AM
usmanasif

Check this out: http://www.calcarcover.com/how_to_se...spx#stormweave

Gives you a list of different car cover materials they have. I don't think any aftermarket car cover manufacturer is more reputable that the Cali Car Cover Co. They have custom covers in all those materials listed for practically all cars, including Zs. That Storm Weave (4-layer) fabric is rated for snow, rain, and dust; even door dings! $190. Plus they'll do custom embroidery (Up to 7 letters for $20!).

Last edited by usmanasif; 10-18-2005 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Low J.
Banned

You get a place with a garage 1st......THEN you buy the sports cars and toys to put inside it.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Tattude

I have the Nissan 350Z car cover from NISSAN and it works/fits/looks awesome... WAY better then most others. My friends have after market ones for there G35 and 350 and they are LOSE and don't look good AT ALL. Pay the extra money and go with NISSAN. It even covers the antenna.
It's washable too.
I have a garage but when I'm at work I cover my car... It only sees the sun and rain when I drive it.

Last edited by Tattude; 10-18-2005 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 AM
MustGoFastR

+10 on the OEM cover. It IS quite capable for outdoor use (just not in strong winds, but that goes for any cover). Water repellency is very good (better than Noah, or Evolution fabric IMO) and it dries very fast, rolls up WAY more compact than other materials and is easy to store/handle. Deffinitely worth the extra $$.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 AM
gatti-man

I bought the noah cover without any experience in what car covers are best. Heres the deal. If your putting this cover on a hot car just driven dont get the oem bc ive seen alot with burn holes in them. Noah doesnt have this problem and you can throw it right over the exhaust without worries. The noah has ok water repelency but if it pours your car is wet. As for fit and finish/quality the noah is perfect. It also is very soft and has performed very well for me so far.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
+10 on the OEM cover. It IS quite capable for outdoor use (just not in strong winds, but that goes for any cover). Water repellency is very good (better than Noah, or Evolution fabric IMO) and it dries very fast, rolls up WAY more compact than other materials and is easy to store/handle. Deffinitely worth the extra $$.
I have had my car covers on in up to 45mph winds. No damage whatso ever. You just tie a 3/8 Boat (Soft) rope between the eyelits underneath. The rope doesn't come close to the paint at all. There are even protective flap if it wiggles around and gets one edge up because it wasn't tight enough.

For $45 at Costco it's a deal and a half. It protects your car very well.