Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

BS diagnosis: Screwed on Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:00 PM
krazE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry BS diagnosis: Screwed on Warranty

Starts off a great weekend because my Vortech supercharger is being put on. Well as it came around to installing the spark plugs, the one closest to the passenger side window was submerged in oil. Killed my day, especially since the motor was 100% stock until the install. The day after the install, I take it to the dealer and explain the discovery. A couple hours later the service advisor calls me telling me I have an aftermarket supercharger system installed (duh), and it increased my engines crank pressure. That sure is a logical explanation, but the fact that I have the shop and its mechanics, multiple witnesses and various receipts for parts purchased (including the spark plugs) dating back 2 days should be enough to connect the dots. The service advisor said it did not matter and they could not do anything. I was told Nissan would be notified for the void of my engine warranty. I additionally get stuck with a $89.00 inspection fee, which again yielded the wrong diagnosis. Also If I recall, I was the one who reported the problem.

A moment for comedy, the tech reported to the advisor that my Vortech supercharger was only "half" installed because the intake was not "wired" for the extra air

I certainly do not expect to put a supercharger in my vehicle, blow a piston or something and have Nissan cover it; however if something is defective from factory it should be covered. Not to mention I purchased an extended warranty.

By the way, the seal which is leaking cannot be purchased on its own; I had trouble believing that so I inquired at several dealerships and they all gave me the same answer. At this point, it appears the passenger side spark/valve cover has to be replaced: $230 + gaskets ($70) and 5 hours labor ($445 by the book).
Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in CA are you? If you're anywhere close to LA area, I recommend giving Jeff@performance a ring or PM. At worst, he can give you good info about the part.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:14 PM
krazE

I think I need to contact Nissan directly, because if that dealer did in fact document it into the system, then all dealers will have to reject it (I'm assuming).

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Badmonkey

I had the same problem. But it WAS due to the crankcase pressure, my pcv line had gotten kinked in the install. I re-routed my PCV and breather lines and the oil never came back. Check your hoses, and see if they are routed correctly. I also disconnected my PCV from my lower plenum and plumbed in an oil catch can, it was sending the oil into my intake.I ran my pcv line to one side of the catch can and the breather line to the other, I then connected a vent hose to the can's top.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Low J.
Banned

Having your warranty voided because of a supercharger should not have been a surprise to you. They can't just take your word for it and you really can't blame them. You should left the s/c in the box and taken the car to get repaired first. You only screwed yourself.....Nissan is blameless here.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:17 AM
Joeys_z

Originally Posted by Low J.
Having your warranty voided because of a supercharger should not have been a surprise to you. They can't just take your word for it and you really can't blame them. You should left the s/c in the box and taken the car to get repaired first. You only screwed yourself.....Nissan is blameless here.

+1

You made the mistake here.....how many people blow their engines by going FI and then want Nissan to cover the cost....I'm guess a lot. They don't know if this occured before the install.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:55 AM
1 2 NV

So what is the problem with your motor? Is it a gasket or bad piston rings or something else causing the oil saturation?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Badmonkey

It is caused by excess crankcase pressure blowing through the top ov the valve cover. There are circular gaskets around the spark plug openings. If you relieve the pressure, by checking the vent lines, it should go away.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
krazE

If you're going to post a reply, please take a moment to read the original post.

I DO NOT expect Nissan to cover some blown rings or something. The dealer can SCREW my word, but the fact that I have receipts and witnesses from 2 days prior should be enough. The problem was there PRIOR to using the blower.

The blower was 80% installed when the leak was discovered, would it have been wise to pull it off at that point? Maybe, Maybe not... my decision was not. THIS IS NOT DUE TO THE BLOWER.

Last edited by krazE; 10-18-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Badmonkey

Have you had a chance to check your breather lines?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 AM
krazE

Originally Posted by Badmonkey
Have you had a chance to check your breather lines?
Yes, all lines to the manifold are fine- none kinked.
This problem occurred when the motor was 100% stock.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 510dat
Where in CA are you? If you're anywhere close to LA area, I recommend giving Jeff@performance a ring or PM. At worst, he can give you good info about the part.

Good luck with your repairs.
+1

or me

Jason@performance
Old 10-19-2005, 12:55 PM
krazE

Thanks Jason.

I couldn't drive around with a leak, so I already had a shop take care of it. Any other problem and it's straight to Performance Nissan.

I am still going to contact Nissan directly. Anyone familiar with preponderance of evidence in the State of California knows I have a strong civil suit (small claims). Is this a far fetch? No, whether I had a million dollars or a dollar, won a million dollars or a dollar... it's the principle. It's not fair to have someone inconvenienced by taking their car to a dealer, hitching rides, putting up with bull **** and then paying to have nothing done except a report filed for the engine warranty being voided.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by krazE
Thanks Jason.

I couldn't drive around with a leak, so I already had a shop take care of it. Any other problem and it's straight to Performance Nissan.

I am still going to contact Nissan directly. Anyone familiar with preponderance of evidence in the State of California knows I have a strong civil suit (small claims). Is this a far fetch? No, whether I had a million dollars or a dollar, won a million dollars or a dollar... it's the principle. It's not fair to have someone inconvenienced by taking their car to a dealer, hitching rides, putting up with bull **** and then paying to have nothing done except a report filed for the engine warranty being voided.
Believe it or not, courts don't want you to sue on principle. They only want to talk to you if you have a loss. You have to show that loss. They don't believe in wasting the tax payer's money. So, be careful on how you word this if you go to court. They will throw it out if they hear "It's the whole principle of the thing." If you can show losses, like the repairs you made that should have been covered my NISSAN and present your case like that you'll most likely win. Been there done this.

At least this has been my experience in California. There is a big push against "Principle, or frivolous lawsuits"

I agree with you this sucks!

My .02
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 PM
krazE

mecinoid,

thanks for the response, i most certainly have receipts for my losses which total close to $800. the "principle" thing is a personal push factor; small hope, but maybe this will be one step in avoiding similar experiences for others.

Last edited by krazE; 10-20-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Z_Driver
Master

mecinoid,

thanks for the response, i most certainly have receipts for my losses which total close to $800. the "principle" thing is a personal push factor; small hope, but maybe this will be one step in avoiding similar experiences for others.
I understand completely. I also have "sued for principle" before. The effort (hrs) to recover my money far outweighed what I would have had to work on a regular job to make up for my loss. Just don't use those words on paperwork or in court.

In my case, I had a really hard time getting my money back. Even though the court awarded me money the guy then put the company in his girlfriends name. I then had to attach his house with a lien for my money which the court had to OK. Then I had to wait until he refi'd his house and put a demand into escrow to get them to cut a check to me for my court award and show them papers of the courts decision. I bought a picture of a lion as a reminder with a portion of the award. One of our family friends had painted it. It has become a symbol in our family of perseverance. The painting was entitled "Patient King". It took us about 2 years for judgment and 4 more years to collect from this small shop. But, he paid for his damages and interest.

The state had been after him for his bad business practices and ripping people off. We didn't know this until we started digging around a bit.

The point is sometimes you have to be patient to be King.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-20-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:41 AM
krazE

wow, what a experience you went through. hopefully nissan will be able to settle this outside of court, because the dealer i dealed with was the straw that broke the camel's back (mine in this case). tired of the deceit.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Z_Driver
Master

wow, what a experience you went through. hopefully nissan will be able to settle this outside of court, because the dealer i dealed with was the straw that broke the camel's back (mine in this case). tired of the deceit.
You'll probably get through it all right. Just be patient !! I am going to give some advice I am not very good at taking here. "It is not worth blowing a gasket over." I am working on that one. But really, the more I deal with dishonest / shady people the more I have learned that eventually, I will get them or they will get theirs. I am actually starting to chuckle at the fact that they might have to suffer while I process my punishment.

So, I can keep my cool most of the time. I would have thought I would have learned that 20-30 years ago. I guess it is something you just have to go through. People figure this out at different rates. I just hate getting taken advantage of. It makes me feel weak. I now know that I am not weak. I just have to out think them. Because I don't want to end up in jail because I beat the s#!t out of someone.