Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

new eclipse radio ad bashing the Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kid-z
listening to the radio the other day and i heard a commercial for the new eclipse. didn't pay much attention until i heard 350z. next time i heard it i paid attention. the gist..."a 3.8 liter blah, blah, blah, with a 650 watt rockfod fosgate sound system, blah, ten speakers, subwoofer, blah," and here's the best part- "the 350z has got nothing on this. except for about $16000. the only true affordable sports car on the road today, the new eclipse."
everytime i hear it now i just have to shake my head. so has anyone else heard this? or is just a local radio ad?
The Eclipse is not the same class of car as the Z. It is more of an econosport vehicle. Don't look just at speed. You can make a Civic faster than a Z, but doesn't make it the same class of vehicle. If you look at the previous gen of Japanese sports cars, the Z was in the league with the RX-7, Supra, and Mitsu 3000GT. The Eclipse was in the class of the Honda Prelude, Mazda MX-6, Toyota Celica.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 PM
BrnSilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sweat it...let them talk all they want but once they pull up to you, everyone will know who has the better car.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Aced16

I SPANKED!!!! and i am SPANKED a new eclipse the other day, beat him by like 2 Bus lengths LOL so dont sweat it all!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketrich
Unless Mitsubishi wants to produce a real sports car (That means rear wheel drive and a sexy body in a car that is a pleasure to see AND to drive) they ought to give it up or go back to producing a good performance sport COMPACT.

Mitsu USED to be in the Sports CAR game FULL TIME with the 3000GT Twin Turbo (Mitsu's Answer to the Vette) and before that the Starion (for those of you who remember that car from the mid-80's...kinda looked like a Dodge Daytona on steriods...LOL...see the pic below).

Both were respectable RWD cars in their day. Guess Mitsu is content to be like Toyota and produce FWD wannabes.
Attached Thumbnails new eclipse radio ad bashing the Z-starion.jpg  
Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 PM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by Racer Z
Mitsu USED to be in the Sports CAR game FULL TIME with the 3000GT Twin Turbo (Mitsu's Answer to the Vette) and before that the Starion (for those of you who remember that car from the mid-80's...kinda looked like a Dodge Daytona on steriods...LOL...see the pic below).

Both were respectable RWD cars in their day. Guess Mitsu is content to be like Toyota and produce FWD wannabes.

I hear ya...But at least Mitsu has the EVO....Toyota aint got shyte since the Supra....I honestly dont understand the hostility against the car...

Guys like it or not its in the 350z class according to the Automotive press etc....They already tested it and though heavier than the new Mustang[yeah you read right ] its straight line performance is right there with the Z...Either its underated at 263hp or it has some really aggressive gearing to be able to trap 101mph in the 1/4...Thats right there with us...I really want to run that guys on my block and see the first hand results...I suspect that higher up speeds in excess of 115-120mph the Z will walk away but down low to about 100mph it will give a Z a run for the money from a roll...From a dig I think the Z will eat it up because of the better rwd config....Eclipse has more than 60% of its weight on the front wheels...ewwwwww...Bad for handling and for 1/4ing...jmho
Old 10-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Miko

I can't belive they're comparing a eclipse to a 350z...two totaaaaly different vehicles. I do not find the exterior of the eclipse attractive at all. The interior is way too bland..where's the style to this car. Dishing out 25K is way too much....

Well, i should add that i did like the earlier concept pictures of this car, but those are *nothing* compared to what the car looks like now.

Last edited by Miko; 10-21-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Manjot

The shift **** on the manual eclipse is a pos- Fact
Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
lane myers

front wheel drive.

if it were rwd, we would all be singing a different tune... sure, we would still all think it doesnt look very good, but the fact is, its fwd, and anyone who's driven both (fwd vs rwd), knows there is no contest. (not to say that all fwd cars are slower than rwd, but you know what i'm saying)

rwd = teh awes0me.

rwd > fwd

fwd > riding a bicycle

fwd = teh suck.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Miko

^^ True that!

Ohhh kinda off topic..i saw the new lexus IS 350 a week ago...this thing was GOGEOUS..any of you guys see this car? mann its really nice
Old 10-21-2005, 08:47 PM
lane myers

Originally Posted by Miko
^^ True that!

Ohhh kinda off topic..i saw the new lexus IS 350 a week ago...this thing was GOGEOUS..any of you guys see this car? mann its really nice
translation:

"everybody get your f*ckin hands up in the air! this is a hijack!"

lol.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Z_Driver
Master

You guys..... I will probably be flamed on this one but, I do not have anything against FWD cars. There have been some good FWD cars. I owned two Shelby Chargers. 1983 non turbo and 1985 Turbo. I also have owned a '89 Ford Probe. I actually got over 100K on each of those cars. I didn't have any problems with them as well except at 110K it sounded like the front CV joints were going in the Shelby Charger. The Probe had a broken exhaust manifold bolt at 105K but ran pretty darn good. It would beat most integra's etc.... on the road. My Turbo Z's .... is fact all my Z were better than these cars. However, they were still some pretty nice cars. The Probe handled really well... I should have boosted above stock before I let her go. But, I didn't.
It was a true sports coupe, insurance was cheap, and even though I am close to 6' myself and my g/f now wife could lay down comfortably in the back and take a bunch of stuff camping with us. The FWD allowed for some great storage space unlike the Z cars.

Don't get me wrong I truely love RWD but there are some good FWD cars out there.

As far as the Mustang goes.... I still want to this with one:

OK now on with the show:

Old 10-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by lane myers
translation:

"everybody get your f*ckin hands up in the air! this is a hijack!"

lol.
I love that statement
Old 10-21-2005, 09:18 PM
lane myers

i dont think anyone here is trying to say that there are not good, capable fwd drive cars out there. of course there is. i think a vast majority of us have owned one or two before getting into the z. we poke fun at fwd cars sometime because we're insecure ... j/k... but i think when looking at sport cars, most would have to agree that better performance is found in rwd, if you dont agree with that, you're still driving a fwd car.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Z_Driver
Master

"Well, I guess that just about covers fly-bys."

Lane Myers - I think that is about were I am at as well.

RWD RULE !!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
alex12

Whoever made that commercial has to be either really desperate or just extremely dumb. The eclipse hasn't looked good since the '99 model got discontinued and does not compare with Zs in performance. Even the 300zx can spank the new eclipse.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:23 AM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by Miko
^^ True that!

Yes, but I will NEVER understand why Toyota offers the lower powered model with a manual transmission option, and the higher powered only with a slushbox. One would think that the people who really wanted a manual are also the people that would like more power. If, for cost reasons, they only could choose one model to put the manual into, why didn't they choose the higher powered model?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Dildorado
The fact they call anything with FWD "sports car" is blasphemy
BMW thinks front wheel drive is the work of Satan. -- James May

Last edited by Vamos_Rafael; 10-22-2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumb's up to that Link!!!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Vamos_Rafael

i've never driven fwd in my life
Old 10-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer Z
Banned

Originally Posted by mecinoid
The Probe handled really well... I should have boosted above stock before I let her go. But, I didn't.
It was a true sports coupe, insurance was cheap, and even though I am close to 6' myself and my g/f now wife could lay down comfortably in the back and take a bunch of stuff camping with us. The FWD allowed for some great storage space unlike the Z cars
The 94-95 Probe GT was a nice looking car (Hope you had the GT, not the 4 cylinder) and I ALMOST bought one...My friend/dealer couldn't get one in a 5-speed, Sooo Thankfully, I bought a 93 MR2 Instead....It was a far better car!

Last edited by Racer Z; 10-22-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: new eclipse radio ad bashing the Z