Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What's the difference bettween a long block and a short block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:31 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference bettween a long block and a short block?

Hey there guys, i was browsing around for short blocks when i came across SGP racing and they have short and long blocks, but i have no idea what the difference is, can anyone explain please?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:37 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

uhm, your setting yourself up for that?

Its the size of the......well nevermind!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:55 PM
longbowe

Originally Posted by zand02max
uhm, your setting yourself up for that?

Its the size of the......well nevermind!

I was thinkin' the same thing!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Calsonic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm guessing the longblock is...longer..

but i think what you want to know is what is the difference performance wise..i'm not sure..i would like to know as well..anyone enlighten us
Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Heads.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 AM
breed

a short block is the block...the long block is block and head..
Old 10-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Joeys_z

Originally Posted by breed
a short block is the block...the long block is block and head..
Did you say "Head"
Old 10-31-2005, 06:13 AM
CLETUS

short block is bare block and rotating assembly, crank pistons, rods. long block is short block plus heads. has nothing to do with length or power,just how much stuff you gotta transfer.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:02 AM
TK2005

A lot of you "car guys" really disappoint me. I think a lot of you bought the car because it's "pretty". For the original poster, the little bit that you know about cars tells me that you don't need a short block and you aren't actually looking for one. You didn't even know what a short block was so how am I to assume that you were looking to buy one? Just search this kind of stuff in google or something.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Dream350Z

Originally Posted by TK2005
A lot of you "car guys" really disappoint me. I think a lot of you bought the car because it's "pretty".
And so what? You act like you knew EVERYTHING when you first started getting into cars. Perhaps you chose to go about learning it a different way instead of asking in a forum. Give the guy a break....
Old 10-31-2005, 07:25 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream350Z
And so what? You act like you knew EVERYTHING when you first started getting into cars. Perhaps you chose to go about learning it a different way instead of asking in a forum. Give the guy a break....

+1

"You don't know the difference!!!???!!! You don't deserve your car!!! Give it to someone who knows then go kill yourself!!!"

C'mon man give the guy a break and get over yourself!!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:34 AM
95snoozer

shortblocks

long blocks

crate motors

turn keys

all basic terms, there is a grey area with some

shortblock is the block and "rotating assembly" the pistons rods and crank with all assembled bearings. IN the cases of some pushrod motors ith may or may not come with a cam and or timing chain/set

long blocks have the heads bolted down to the shortblock... in some cases it should have the cam or cams instlled along with the timing set. if it is a pushrod motor it may or may not have the rockers with the pushrods

crate motors will be the complete motor from valve cover to oil pan, everything in between is assembled. This motor will only be lacking fuel rails and injectors and intake manifold

Turn key can be just another name for a crate motor But can include the intake manifold. turn key of course comes form the fact that nothing needs to be done to the motor to start it. add oil of course and prime it!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:57 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Dream350Z
So is Creation your girlfriend or Kalima's? The guy comes here saying he was looking to buy a shortblock. It is obvious he has no intentions of buying a shortblock since he has no idea what one is. I didn't know everything about cars when I got into them. Nor did I go to forums saying I was looking buy something but needed an explanation as to what it was before I bought it. If you two want to continue your jobs as defenders of NEWBS then feel free, I tend to call them as I see them. The world really needs more heroes like you two to standup for the uneducated. You guys are part of the pussification of this country. What this guy needs is to be taught is some shame and humility. I am going out to buy some muffler belts and headlight fluid. Is there something you want to tell me before I head out into the big bad world?

Last edited by TK2005; 10-31-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:10 AM
IceBurnzTT

So is Creation your girlfriend or Kalima's? The guy comes here saying he was looking to buy a shortblock. It is obvious he has no intentions of buying a shortblock since he has no idea what one is. I didn't know everything about cars when I got into them. Nor did I go to forums saying I was looking buy something but needed an explanation as to what it was before I bought it. If you two want to continue your jobs as defenders of NEWBS then feel free, I tend to call them as I see them. The world really needs more heroes like you two to standup for the uneducated. You guys are part of the pussification of this country. What this guy needs is to be taught is some shame and humility. I am going out to buy some muffler belts and headlight fluid. Is there something you want to tell me before I head out into the big bad world?

Yes there is. You're pathetic. About sums it up.

Get off your high horse its not a ****ing child that you have to teach wrong from right by force you clown its a guy who maybe though he wanted to buy something that he didnt know in full depth. Whats to say he still wont? As long as he isnt doing the install which he never implied he was he can buy any damn thing he wants its his car.

P.S. White sox all the way
Old 10-31-2005, 08:18 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by IceBurnzTT
Yes there is. You're pathetic. About sums it up.

Get off your high horse its not a ****ing child that you have to teach wrong from right by force you clown its a guy who maybe though he wanted to buy something that he didnt know in full depth. Whats to say he still wont? As long as he isnt doing the install which he never implied he was he can buy any damn thing he wants its his car.

P.S. White sox all the way
Here's another contributor to the pussification of this country. Yes, he does need to be taught. If he needs to be taught like a child then so be it. I do however appreciate your very clever input. When you come up with another winner, feel free to send it directly to me as well as post it. I don't want to miss the next time your brain clicks forward one more gear. I wish I cared enough about baseball to take offense to your WhiteSox comment but I don't.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:26 AM
kalima275Z

Don't be an a$$clown guy, the dude said nothing about buying any block. Re-read the post before you say some crap like that.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
kalima275Z

You're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm part of the people who are for the pussification of our country.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 AM
02VTZ

Wow. Relax pal. I am new to this forum but "pussification of this country"? Why are you wasting such wit here? Surely there are more appropriate places for such candor and deep insights.

So what if he is buying it or not? He wants to know what it means so some guys told him. Some people don't mind helping others. I learn a lot from sites like this and think it is cool how most are willing to help out.

I know, I know, I am "contributing to the yadda, yadda, yadda".

PS. Good luck in prison.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:34 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by kalima275Z
Don't be an a$$clown guy, the dude said nothing about buying any block. Re-read the post before you say some crap like that.
Why don't you re-read the first post? You must have missed that one.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 AM
kalima275Z

"....browsing around for shortblocks...."

Quick Reply: What's the difference bettween a long block and a short block?