Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:16 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah driving in wet conditions is very tricky, especially in a rear wheel drive
car. just remember, slowing down shifts momentum to the front of the car &
accelerating the exact opposite. this is used in throttle steering. you can
temporarily induce understeer or oversteer in a car using this technique.

Here is a snippet from a performance driving site...

Accelerating, braking, or turning a vehicle causes the majority of weight to be transferred from one area to another. This changes the amount of work being done by each tire and its ability to maintain traction. When used properly, this transfer of weight can be very beneficial.

Braking causes the weight to be transferred to the front of the car. When done before entering a turn, the increased weight on the front tires increases the size of the contact patch and improves traction. This is useful when entering a corner. It also takes the weight off of the back wheels, which is not a good thing when in the middle of a turn. Unloading the rear of a vehicle in a corner could cause unwanted oversteer that might result in a spin.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:/
hit the corner fast, break b4 going in, turn in, counter-steer, hit the gas, drift
Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 PM
RNL323
Mod My Ride

Same happened to me back in April...

I was on a "hair-pin" on ramp to get on the freeway and the sprinklers for the trees and bushes just went off so the pavement was all wet. I wasn't going to fast, maybe 35 mphs at the most.

Next thing you know I spin out and I'm facing the opposite way. It caught me off guard.

Good thing it was early on a Sunday morning so luckily no one was around.

I think the stock tires had a lot to do with it.....
Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
350zQ45a

Originally Posted by RNL323
Same happened to me back in April...

I was on a "hair-pin" on ramp to get on the freeway and the sprinklers for the trees and bushes just went off so the pavement was all wet. I wasn't going to fast, maybe 35 mphs at the most.

Next thing you know I spin out and I'm facing the opposite way. It caught me off guard.

Good thing it was early on a Sunday morning so luckily no one was around.

I think the stock tires had a lot to do with it.....

Yea it can get ugly real fast. SNAP oversteer
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Vamos_Rafael

actually if u were to crash... police will tell u its reckless driving
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
350zQ45a

I would imagine with VDC and traction both left on you could pretty much drive like a total idiot and the Z would be kept inline?

I don't know how it is on the Z but other cars I've owned with traction control have been pretty good about keeping the car going forward in the rain

As long as you didn't do anything reallllly stupid you could pretty much floor the car because the computers would take over and mandate how much power you could actually put down. Maybe the Zs doesnt kick in until it could be too late in the rain though?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Vamos_Rafael

hmmm vdc kicks in alot if u do spirited driving in the damp/wet
but u cant react to it cuz its machine and its random and everything so like u can be ready to do countersteer then it snaps back automatically and u might be going to wrong wrong direction
Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
tonystark

I had the butt end of my z go out too far too. It was like during the first month that I had it. I don’t d!ck around on curves anymore. But I was reading a review on Z’s and it said that it is easy to loose the rear if you don’t know what you are doing. I didn’t know what I was doing. They rated the car lower than the new mustang because of the rear control issue.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Z_Driver
Master

The Z is a pleasure to power slide. You just have to realize small inputs are all it takes to correct a situation. It a touchy / feely kinda thing. Do not use gross inputs. It upsets the chassis and you'll end up fish tailing all the way down the track. What happens when traction is lost and you over correct is you'll get a hard grab which throws it into a slid the other way. It is all about smooth inputs.

Driftin' California Style ....

What's really tricky is when you mix water and oil like when the first rains come.
Becareful people, were coming up on that season.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Ok, first of all, don't do that on public streets anymore. Second, here is what you should have done and should do if you ever find yourself in this situation again...

DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES. Actually don't touch anything. Its a hard concept to learn, but if you let go of the steering wheel and keep your foot off of the pedals, your car will naturally correct itself. This is one thing you learn when track racing. If you would like a good example click this link...

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....3-1512777FC117

That was my buddy Rob in his Z losing control at the track. Notice how he lets go of the steering wheel and the car just does its thing and he ends up straight. During this he also had his wheels off in the dirt for some of it, and that is just as slippery as rain, but it still worked.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:01 PM
tonystark

http://videos.streetfire.net/player...23-1512777FC117

To hail with that. Have you ever personally tried that yourself? That is a real pants crapper.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by tonystark
http://videos.streetfire.net/player...23-1512777FC117

To hail with that. Have you ever personally tried that yourself? That is a real pants crapper.
Yes, plenty of times. I've done it at 100+ mph too and its the same principle. The video isn't enough proof to you that it works? It is wierd to get used to and goes against your instincts, but it works. Knowing how to just let go of everything probably saved my Z from a wall or two.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:09 PM
abyss

Originally Posted by jvanquish
be like me... learn drifting in an empty alot and look stupid both messing up and reporting back on the forum on how to do it correctly

Thats something that was actually advised by the hiway patrol officer that was teaching a driving class I was court ordered to do when passing a cop 42 miles over speed limit last november. She said a good way to learn your car is on rainy or snowy days go to your abandoned mall or church parking lots and do donuts and learn to regain control of your car. She also said when taking curves to take it at the suggested speedlimit before the curve but if there is no traffic gradually speed up toward the actual speed limit and see how well your car handles curves. I was suprised hearing a cop telling kids to do this stuff, but she said doing this 'horseplay' makes you a better driver when something like that actually happens like hydroplaning and losing control.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Fear Night

Never do that with traffic around again.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:24 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since were talking about driving techniques, there is an oversteer “point of no return.” That point is when the car is perpendicular to the line. Then you hit the brakes hard. Is that correct?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Z BOY

yes, you were a douche. be thankful you didn't hurt anyone, learn from your mistake, drive more safely, and move on.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:03 PM
alex12

I also lost control of the car on wet road. The thing is my TCS was still on, and I was taking the turn as i usually do. I think this is largely due to the quality of our stock tires

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES. Actually don't touch anything. Its a hard concept to learn, but if you let go of the steering wheel and keep your foot off of the pedals, your car will naturally correct itself. This is one thing you learn when track racing.
I applied this principle. Funny thing is, I learned this through many hours of playing Gran Turismo 4
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
350zQ45a

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Ok, first of all, don't do that on public streets anymore. Second, here is what you should have done and should do if you ever find yourself in this situation again...

DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES. Actually don't touch anything. Its a hard concept to learn, but if you let go of the steering wheel and keep your foot off of the pedals, your car will naturally correct itself. This is one thing you learn when track racing. If you would like a good example click this link...

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....3-1512777FC117

That was my buddy Rob in his Z losing control at the track. Notice how he lets go of the steering wheel and the car just does its thing and he ends up straight. During this he also had his wheels off in the dirt for some of it, and that is just as slippery as rain, but it still worked.

This is really only a method that should be used when all control of the car is lost. Even in this video he still has his hands on or near the wheel at all times and looks to grab it to correct the violent overcorrections that kept happening.

Once it's gone, though it's gone. You should keep the clutch pedal in at the very least. Also did the car in the video have VDC or TCS, and was it engaged. Even it wasn't on, unless he pulled the fuse it was still activating which may be a reason it was so good in correcting its self.

I'm fairly certain my base Z in that situation would not have reacted the same without some input from myself
Old 11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Forrest80

Originally Posted by mavtais
Where in CA are you located? You know, there are plenty of tracks here on the West Coast. And even more car clubs to join in the fun of sporty driving.
BTW, did you let off the gas and just try steering the car back to a straight line or did you slam the brakes? Best you can do is let off and let the car roll, let your gears do the braking for you when you spin slightly out of control. Braking biases the weight to the front and further loosens your rear end.
North of san fransico in ukiah is where im located, and i let off gas, i didnt slam on brakes but i did keep my foot lightly on them, enuff to slow but not enuff to stop. And i did my best to straighten out wich sent the car in every wich direction till finaly i accelerated out of it.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
This is really only a method that should be used when all control of the car is lost. Even in this video he still has his hands on or near the wheel at all times and looks to grab it to correct the violent overcorrections that kept happening.

Once it's gone, though it's gone. You should keep the clutch pedal in at the very least. Also did the car in the video have VDC or TCS, and was it engaged. Even it wasn't on, unless he pulled the fuse it was still activating which may be a reason it was so good in correcting its self.

I'm fairly certain my base Z in that situation would not have reacted the same without some input from myself
It was a base model with no VDC or TCS.

Quick Reply: made ass out of my self.