Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Final Gear Mod?...Upgrade Suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:12 PM
jaxrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Gear Mod?...Upgrade Suggestions.

Hello all,
I have a 2003 Touring Ed. Have only had it for a few months. Other then a handful of aesthetic mods and a new HU, I have only purchased an intake so far, but am ready to begin moving forward on the performance side. Recently found an upgraded 'Final Drive Gear' Drive for sale (9 bills). Site says (and I quote) "gives you more acceleration improvement than any other modification we sell". Anybody familiar with this item? and/or can you share the details?...

Also open to any suggestions on the performance side for a 'yet untweaked' car...There is always the obvious and ever popular "Intake/Header/Exhaust" to start, but I am curious as to whether anyone has experienced a worthwhile performance upgrade out of a single product other then those listed above and within the realm of a an NA engine....not a magic bullet, but something reasonable...

Thanks in advance to all @ my350z for their ongoing input, Peace.

-jaxrm.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 PM
oman

Dude 2 words..... Plenium Spacer, Cost 269.00! Horse improved at the rear wheels at 15 hp! Dyno proven!, If you want a "bang for your buck!" get the plenium spacer, 45 min to install!!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 PM
itburns

If you want the most dramatic change in performance with a single mod then replace those stock Potenzas with top of the line tires from Goodyear, BFG or Pirelli. You will experience a tremendous change in acceleration, cornering and high speed stability. It changes the character of the car and instills greater confidence in you for your car. It also brings out the potential more than any other single mod.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
jaxrm

Question

I failed to mention I do have 'dubs' on my ride....20" rims w/Toyo Proxies and yes they do enhance both the ride and definitely the look of the car..(though definitely not your pocket/wallet)..it turn, I do agree with the tire suggestion for sure.

As far as the plenium spacer suggestion...sounds good to me for the $. Not familiar with it myself....with that said, please share the details, are there multiple maufacturers of these and if so, who has them?...if nothing else, who makes the 200 and something dollar one mentioned above?

On another note, I've been doing some in-depth on-line research on the final drive gear. I have not seen or read anything negative about this mod. I have not found any hard numbers regarding this mod....everyone seems to agree about an increase in accelaration, however the majority seems to state that it will affect both the top speed of the z (it will be less with this mod), as well as potentially affect 1/4 miles performance as a driver will potentially have to upshift another time with this mod, as each gear will reach max speed quicker....(in other words, a stock car should be in 4th at the end of a 1/4 mile, however a 5th gear shift would be needed with this mod). I am in no way an expert or advising anyone, just sharing what I''ve gathered after reading a fair sized number of reports and forum on the subject....Still peaks my interest honestly...

Peace,
-jaxrm.

Last edited by jaxrm; 11-06-2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: damn typos
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Vamos_Rafael

3.9FD?
Just get good mods dont waste ur $ on bullsh!t or cheap ****
Goods mods?
Exhaust, Intake, etc etc
Old 11-06-2005, 05:47 PM
plumpzz

3.9FD is a good mod from what i understand. Its only good for NA however. If you choose to go FI in the future, this will be a 900+(high install price) waste, since you would opt for a 3.3FD from automatics.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 PM
arejohn

The higher gear ratio puts the available hp to the rear wheels at lower road speed thus faster accelleration. Disadvantages- increased fuel consumption, possible longer 0-60 time due to shifting into third, increased engine noise. I suspect you can still complete the 1/4 w/out shifting to 5th so time will be reduced. Top speed might be reduced but so what- you get there faster.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
jaxrm

Originally Posted by jvanquish
3.9FD?
Just get good mods dont waste ur $ on bullsh!t or cheap ****
Goods mods?
Exhaust, Intake, etc etc

Couldn't agree with you more man...that's why I'm trying to be patient, doing research and asking ?s....no cheap $h!t or bull$h!t for sure....