2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan refuses to replace my front tires under their replacement program

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:26 AM
cupcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nissan refuses to replace my front tires under their replacement program

Nissan has refused to replace my front tires under the replacement program.

Here is my story:

My front tires were worn out in a pattern that had more than 4/32 inch of tread on the outside edge and no tread on the inside edge of the tire.

Since the tires were worn out, I decided to replace the tires and wheels at the same time with Nissan factory Nismo wheels

I had already purchased the wheels and was actually in the process of purchasing tires the same day the Nissan replacement program letter arrived.

I replaced the front tires with the 245/40 tires recommended by Nissan for the Nismo wheels.

I submitted my replacement paperwork to Nissan for review and my request for payment was declined.

Why: Because the tires were the incorrect size even though the size was recommended by Nissan for the Nismo wheels

I went through several levels of supervisors to receive this decision, most of them had never heard of Nismo wheels- including the one who passed the final judgement.

The issue here is that the tires were worn out because of a defect in the vehicle not what sizes the tires were replaced with.

Nissan will do whatever it takes to get out of the tire replacement.

If I had saved the original tires, I would have had Nissan purchase me a new set of stock tires and sold them on eBay.

The ironic thing too is the Kuhmo Ecsta MX tires I bought are significantly cheaper than the original equipment Bridgestones and I only asked to be reimbursed for the Kuhmos.

Nissan attitude and business ethics =
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Sven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Nissan reimburses me for my front tires! I haven't heard back from them for a month now and every time I call and check in to see if they have processed my request, they keep saying that they're still working on it.

Still love the car though, got a few stares on the way to work
Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Low J.
Banned

I think the tire replacement program is only for stock tires in stock sizes. You can't expect them to replace aftermarket rubber on aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The exception for NISMO wheels (and the correct tires) is written in the replacement-alignment directive. Damn. Can’t the workers at Nissan Corporation read their own directive!

Last edited by davidv; 11-09-2005 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
cupcar

That's what drives me nuts, the Nismo wheels are excepted but the Nissan people handling the paperwork only look at the size tire that was bought.

I even guided them through their Nismo website to the part where the tire size recommendation was.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
BrickydZ

Default same for me

I was told the same thing. I too explained that I followed their recommendations. They didnt care. The directive is the directive.
I asked them if they thought that the decision would cut down on the sale of Nismo Wheels and they said huh. They still dont get it. I finally stopped calling.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
liveoneva

Originally Posted by Sven
I hope Nissan reimburses me for my front tires! I haven't heard back from them for a month now and every time I call and check in to see if they have processed my request, they keep saying that they're still working on it.

Still love the car though, got a few stares on the way to work
I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but all I did was call a dealership, said I had the tire growl at deceleration and he said he would order tires for me and just asked for me to call to make sure they were in. All he needed was my VIN. Thank the Z God!!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Low J.
I think the tire replacement program is only for stock tires in stock sizes. You can't expect them to replace aftermarket rubber on aftermarket wheels.
+1. You can't expect Nissan to give you a free upgrade. granted, they should replace any tires that originally came with the car. For example: If you purchased a 2003 Touring model with 18 inch rims and the tires feather prematurely, Nissan would be liable under the replacement program to replace the tires that were designed to fit those rims. Because you decided to upgrade to a different rim doesn't mean that Nissan has to accomedate your upgrade. Here is an analogy. What if you purchased the Enthusiast model. A year later you decide to upgrade your brakes and calipers to the Brembos that come OEM with the Track model. At the same time Nissan comes out with a recall on the Enthusiast model brake pads. At this time you have only purchased the Brembo calipers, but not the pads. You can not call Nissan and demand them the give you a new set of brake pads to fit the Brembo calipers. They would honor their policy by replacing what you originally purchased.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:29 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here... they gave some bull**** about changing the tire sizes.. I gave up I didn't feel like putting up with there crap.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 PM
cupcar

Here is the exact language in the letter that is confusing:

"For vehicles equipped with original equipment Bridgestone tires or replacement Bridgestone tires of the same size as the original equipment tires mounted on original equipment genuine Nissan chrome or Nismo accessory Z wheels Nissan will:"

The problem is that the original equipment tire size is not recommended by Nissan for the Nismo wheels. So if you use their recommendation you lose.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
BluZee

cupcar- What does it say after that?

My bulletin from Nissan states that only Bridgestone Potenza RE040 225/50R17 or 225/45R18 will be replaced. Any other tire or size will not be replaced. If you have Nismo wheels with 245/40R18 tires they will re-align the car and thats it.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 PM
arejohn

The copy of the noise TSB that I have is dated April 2004. Does this information agree with Nissan's refusal?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:09 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BluZee
cupcar- What does it say after that?

My bulletin from Nissan states that only Bridgestone Potenza RE040 225/50R17 or 225/45R18 will be replaced. Any other tire or size will not be replaced. If you have Nismo wheels with 245/40R18 tires they will re-align the car and thats it.
And that's the beef. The original tires were OEM tires. Members are attempting to be reimbursed for replacing them with tires recommended by NISMO (and NISMO wheels are approved).
Old 11-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
+1. You can't expect Nissan to give you a free upgrade. granted, they should replace any tires that originally came with the car. For example: If you purchased a 2003 Touring model with 18 inch rims and the tires feather prematurely, Nissan would be liable under the replacement program to replace the tires that were designed to fit those rims. Because you decided to upgrade to a different rim doesn't mean that Nissan has to accomedate your upgrade. Here is an analogy. What if you purchased the Enthusiast model. A year later you decide to upgrade your brakes and calipers to the Brembos that come OEM with the Track model. At the same time Nissan comes out with a recall on the Enthusiast model brake pads. At this time you have only purchased the Brembo calipers, but not the pads. You can not call Nissan and demand them the give you a new set of brake pads to fit the Brembo calipers. They would honor their policy by replacing what you originally purchased.
You are missing the point. Those of us that happened to upgrade to bigger tires after we suffered the tire growl on the old tires do not expect Nissan to pay the price of the upgraded tires. We expect them to pay the amount of RE40 tires in the original size. Regardless of what tires we decided to go to, we suffered premature wear on the old tires and they owe us for that.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:46 PM
cupcar

Here is the text I received. There is no mention of specific tire sizes, just that they had to be same size as original.

My tires were worn within the spec in the letter that is under "Customer Pays 0%" and were replaced mostly because of wear as I was afraid the belt would wear through pretty soon on the inside of the tire. They did growl a lot as well. As posts above state, the point is my tires were worn prematurely and abnormally, how I remedy this should not be germaine to the replacement compensation issue. Worn is worn is worn.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:52 PM
arejohn

CUPCAR. If I understand this correctly you installed the 18" Nismo wheels with 245/40 tires. I checked nissanusa nismo parts for 350z and YES this is the size recommended therefor you have met the requirements set forth in the TSB.

I suggest you copy the nismo wheel specifications for installation on the front of a 350z and re-contact the most signifficant author of the rejection letters. If you still get no satisfaction, send copies of all documentation to the president of NNA with your request for reimbursement. He an his staff has more important things to do than piddle with $500 issues.

If this doesn't get you your refund- but it will- send it to the CEO of Renault and tell him that if this is the way he is going to treat customers in the USA he can keep his F-ing french cars home.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just got the call (after 11 weeks). They will not pay for my wider tires. This is completely ridiculous. I suffered the same shortened tire life with my RE40's as anyone else. They owe me regardless of what I chose to replace them with. Thanks for nothing Nissan.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 AM
BluZee

Originally Posted by davidv
And that's the beef. The original tires were OEM tires. Members are attempting to be reimbursed for replacing them with tires recommended by NISMO (and NISMO wheels are approved).

Yeah, it doesnt make sense. Its like they are saying to go ahead and still use the 225/50 tires with the Nismos wheels and they will replace them, but at the same time the recommened size is 245/40.

As a side note, I switched to the Nismo wheels with the 245/40 tires and after an alignment have no feathering. This is after 20,000 miles.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

took my car in to get my hatch arms replaced and the service rep asked me if i wanted my front tires changed out for free. didnt even have to ask for them, they insisted!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 AM
cupcar

The funny thing for me is when I installed my Nismo wheels, I asked the tire guys to remove my worn front tires from my stock wheels since I didn't have room to store them.

If I drove into a dealer today with my stock tires and wheels, I would get a set of new Bridgestones free

Quick Reply: Nissan refuses to replace my front tires under their replacement program