Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 10:53 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, the most important thing for all of us is for us to be happy with what we're getting. I was hooked on the Z due to the emotions it invoked as well and if I didn't have to wait so long for it to come in, I'd have gotten it and never given it a second thought. I guess some of that emotion wore off during the wait and thoughts of practicality started to creep in. It's all good; we're just one big happy family.

FYI Wheels are sold to Westpak and I'm keeping the earthing kit for the G. LED side markers ($85 shipped) and JDM Altezza short antenna ($35 shipped) are still up for grabs. PM or e-mail me if interested.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 01-03-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:18 AM
MustGoFastR

Oh, add to the G35C goodies list: Dual antennas embedded in rear glass. Nice!
Old 01-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Vlad

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

I don't remember how it was when I was waiting my Z, but now, after 4 months, I'll take Z over 330ci any day. It performs way better and it's interior way better. Even if the'll pay me 10K to change to 330ci.

I honestly lough when I see confused fases of 330ci owners every day. I have temptation to get a plate frame, something like
"That was 350z. And no, I won't change it for your family coupe"

Old 01-03-2003, 12:33 PM
kgb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan built both the G35 and 350Z

I took delivery of my 350Z last Friday and I think it's a great car and offers excellent value. Three weeks ago, I drove the G35 Coupe and my impression was it offers, overall, even more value for the money. In terms of value, it is the clear winner over a fully optioned 350Z. However, what the 350Z does best, the G35 Coupe doesn't quite compare. The Z's mission is clearly more sporting; and with that come the attendant compromises. The G35 Coupe has over the 350Z, 200 additional pounds, 8 inches of additional wheelbase, and a softer suspension. This does not make an equally, or, a more responsive handling car. Believe what you want (including the magazines), but the law of physics is on the Z’s side in terms of handling. Truth is, we like what we like, and we value what we value. Nissan built both cars knowing they would appeal to different tastes, values, etc.. So why all the silly comparisons with people praising and playing up what they like about their choices while criticizing the choices of others?
Old 01-03-2003, 01:22 PM
jckolnturn

they are both great cars and no one is going to change anyone's mind about which is better, it's a personal thing you can't decide on until you've seen, sat in, and driven each one. If you waited till now to buy a 350z you have an advantage of seeing both cars and you can make a better decision but all those pre-orders have to live with the 350z. That doesn't sound like the end of the world to me.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:45 PM
TJZ

Default Re: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
very low stature,
; it has the same suspension as the
thumbs down for saything what you did up top
The g has a softer suspension than the Z.

Thumbs up for still getting a good car. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:53 PM
MustGoFastR

It has the same configuration with the same components. The brochure pic of the suspention is the exact same picture as in the Z brochure. It may or may not be a little softer (I haven't seen any documentation either way, but was told that it was the same as the Z and the smoother ride was due to the longer wheelbase). If it is softer, big deal, it has skidpad numbers pretty much on par with the Z, given the same tires on both cars and better than the Z from the factory. If you can get comparable handling and a smoother ride, all the better. I'm sure suspension upgrades will be available as well.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:38 PM
srobert910

from looking at a friend's g35c, i don't remember if it has a front strut brace or not. Also i did notice that the air intake is different, not quite the cold air style that my Z has. Maybe that's part of the hp loss.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:19 PM
joeshow750

Yeah, I saw a review on the 350Z that said that the hp loss on the G35 was mostly due air intake and exhaust setups. The review is on Grokster...just search under "350Z testdrive." In the review the driver chirps the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:36 PM
MustGoFastR

The G does not come with a strut brace in front, though I'm sure one could be added if desired; you'd just have to lose or modify the massive plastic engine cover. The opening of the intake IS smaller; there's deffinitely room for an aftermarket piece here. I've heard rumors in the past that Nismo will offer an ECM/intake upgrade combo for the Z, hopefully for the G as well. The only difference in the exhaust is an extra eight inches which could account for a minor loss, otherwise it's identical to the Z, right down to the exhaust note.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:25 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure you thought it over really well.... and if you like G, then go for it. I personally like Z over G. It's an emotional thing... I've been wanting a Fairlady Z every since I was in middle school. I had a plastic model Z back then.. and now, I have a real one. Woo hoo!!

So... "the wait" continues for you. I hope your thoughts do not wear off again on the G that you ordered. And post pix once you get it. (I do like the looks of it, especially modd'ed G's.)

As for the aftermarket parts, since most of the power adders will be interchangeable b/w Z and G, whatever you put in your G can potentially be put in our Z.... so your G will always have 7 hp less than our Z if equally equipped. *lol*
Old 01-03-2003, 10:55 PM
LBC TRD

i do agree that the G is underpriced for what you get.. i got the touring package on my Z fully loaded and it stickered over $37k.. true i could have gotten the G35C for $400 more.. but when i saw my daytona blue w/ frost interior w/ the awesome, aggressive ergonomics and overall look.. i was sold. Not to mention the engine, i did check out both cars in my decision, and decided that i hate those LED tail lights, the front of the G, and the spoiler.. but i was shocked that the coupe was only $400 more for the luxury it offers. Bottom line is that the G and the Z are sweet cars. I've heard of G owners dynoing their cars at almost 20 less hp than guys on this board are dynoing in at.. Seeing those pics posted of the G35C on this thread just made me glad i decided to get a Z fully loaded, rather than a G35c 6MT.. now if infinity had a color that looked half as good as daytona blue.. then it'd be a differnt story! JK.. Nissan did hit a homerun w/ these two models
Old 01-05-2003, 08:28 AM
MustGoFastR

As far as power differences are concerned between the two cars, well, as some have dicovered with intakes or exhausts that give gains of 7hp or so, it is pretty much negligible. As for Dyno numbers, I haven't seen them, but if they are coming in up to 20hp less than the Z, it would make sense. According to factory numbers, the G is .4sec slower to 60 than the Z ( I think. I was told that at the dealership and then told the coupe and sedan have the same numbers. The sedan is only currently available in AT, so I'm wondering if I wasn't quoted numbers for the AT Coupe. If that's the case, the 6MT will be even quicker). The extra 200lbs accounts for half of that, but I think it would take more than 7 fewer HP to account for the other .2sec. The G has a steel driveshaft, so there is probably a little more drivetrain loss and overall less RWHP, accounting for the lower dyno numbers and the rest of the slower 0-60 time. Sounds like another job for Nismo. Surely, someone, if not them, will come out with a carbon fiber reinforced composite driveshaft replacement for the car. That, with a higher flow intake opening should pretty much get rid of any HP discrepancy between the two cars. It would then only be .2sec behind due to wieght. We shall see. The racing capabilities of this car aren't the top priority for me, but I still like to tinker and mod a bit, as long as it's stealth. I still love the Z and every time I browse this site, I get those Zmotions and wonder if I should still go for the Z (I haven't taken my deposit back yet). I just have to tell myself that the G is really a Z at heart, just all dressed up for a black tie event. I get all that luxury and get to keep at least 95% of the performance. That's a pretty good compromise. For me, I would rather have a luxury car with lots of performance, than a sports car with a little bit of luxury. As I stated before, I would have taken the 330ci over the Z had it not been for price, so the G is deffinitely the one for me.
Peace, everybody.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:28 AM
rodH

The G does not come with a strut brace in front, though I'm sure one could be added if desired; you'd just have to lose or modify the massive plastic engine cover. The opening of the intake IS smaller; there's deffinitely room for an aftermarket piece here. I've heard rumors in the past that Nismo will offer an ECM/intake upgrade combo for the Z, hopefully for the G as well. The only difference in the exhaust is an extra eight inches which could account for a minor loss, otherwise it's identical to the Z, right down to the exhaust note.
True, the dealer trader mags that I get say that the Nismo stuff will ONLY be avail for the Z, G coupe and G sedan, so you are safe there. I feel a little bad even argueing this point about the G VS the Z, they are BOTH awesome cars, I think infinit/nissan got some winners and BOTH companies benefit (My family owns some car dealers,Nissan/infinit, and Honda/acura amoung them), and when the S2000 was finally announced to be a "Honda" badge (Vs Acura) the Acura dealers were pissed, Nissan did this right (instead of making an ugly Z 2+2, and NOT giving infinit any piece of the pie.

IMO, the Z is a more TRUE sports car that is for someone like myself who dreams of one day owning a Porsche 996 C4s, and the G is more like (if you want to look at extremes) the Austin Martin Vanquish (a very very sporty sports coupe).

The G is FAR better looking and has a much more agressive look and stance than the 330Ci. I like BMWs, but the 330 is basically a sedan look converted into a coupe, while the G looks more like a true "sports coupe". The M3, BMW added enough cool parts to make it look mean, but the G doesn't get out classed by its looks either.

BOTH ARE GREAT CARS AND GREAT VALUES
Old 01-05-2003, 01:10 PM
BrianZ

Thank you all. All us G35 & 350Z owners are helping my Nissan stock to go up!

Personally, the Z is more of a pure-play than the G35. The G35 is undoubtedly a better daily driver. If that's what you want. The Z is a sports-car, the G35 isn't.

IMHO the Z looks *much* better.

Oh, and doesn't the G35 only come with a slush-o-matic? ...no thanks.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:23 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by BrianZ
Oh, and doesn't the G35 only come with a slush-o-matic? ...no thanks.

Uh, no. The G35C is available in 6MT. This would be what I'm getting along with 18s, Brembos, leather, sunroof, etc.

It is the sedan that is currently only available with AT.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:39 PM
BrianZ

Uh, no. The G35C is available in 6MT. This would be what I'm getting along with 18s, Brembos, leather, sunroof, etc.

It is the sedan that is currently only available with AT.
Thanks for the update. My bad.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:17 PM
bobbyz

I honestly belive that the only reason that the G35 showed such high skid pad numbers compared to the Z is because of the tires. I think if you put The Mich.Pilots on the Z, it would show much better results.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by bobbyz
I honestly belive that the only reason that the G35 showed such high skid pad numbers compared to the Z is because of the tires. I think if you put The Mich.Pilots on the Z, it would show much better results.
yep. skidpad #'s rely heavily on tires. If the Z gets better tires, rest assured, our #'s will be higher.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Mr350Z

Hey guys, was reading through this thread and noticed that somebody mentioned Stillen being offered through dealerships. If a dealer wants to offer Stillen parts through their dealership, they can, just as they could go to Pep Boys and buy a "Powered by Nissan" sticker and put it in their parts display case. Nissan North America has nothing to do with Stillen parts.

Nismo parts will be offered through all Nissan dealerships and likewise for Infiniti R-spec parts at Infiniti dealerships, and most will be warrantied.

As for the tuning of the parts. The Nismo and R-spec parts are different and are tuned specifically for each car. If you think you can buy Nismo Z parts and put them on your G35C, you will be in for a little bit of a surprice. BTW, there is quite a bit of OE tuning difference between the 350Z and the G35C.

Hope this helps guys.
Mr350Z

Quick Reply: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen