Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 07:20 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Well, for those of you that checked out my post yesterday, https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=15279 , I went to look at the G35C yesterday (after stopping by Nissan to sit in a Z so it would be fresh in my mind). As my thred title would suggest, I was VERY impressed. It may not have quite the same "Oooo, sports car...[drool]" factor as the Z, but it does have quite a nice "Oooo, NICE car" effect, similar to that of the BMW 330ci. My problem is that I was trying to compare the G to the Z, when I should have been comparing it to the BMW, which it has beat, hands down. Truth be told, if the price were the same, I would have chosen the BMW over the Z any day; I opted for the Z due to the lower price and wow factor, but was still hesitant over the bouncy ride and very low stature, both of which I've been putting up with in my current car for the past eight years and wanted to get away from, while stepping up in luxury and performance. This was all before I even really knew about the G, and decided to check it out almost as an after thought. I'm glad I did; it's an awsome car. Even if I didn't like it, there's no way in hell I'd pay sticker for a Touring or Track Z after pricing out the G35C. Here is an example: a loaded touring with all options lists at just over $37,000. A loaded G35C Leather 6MT is only about $400 more and you get (over the Z): a folding back seat, an actual trunk, higher quality leather (and more of it), Brembos!, an 8 speaker Bose that works, a sun roof, auomatic headlights, speed sensing windsheild wipers, lumbar support (that was almost enough for me to switch right there), higher quality interior, LED tail lights (they rock!), WAY better Michelin Pilot Sport tires, smoother ride (due to the longer wheelbase; it has the same suspension as the Z), better sound insulation, dual climate control, a compass, and it's not as much of a cop or punk-a$$ ricer magnet as the Z, while only giving up 7 HP, and 4 lb/ft of tourque. You also don't get the tire pressure monitors or the carbon drive shaft. The car is about 200lbs heavier and .4sec slower to 60 (which will become a moot point as you read on). You also get a 4 year, 60,000 mile warranty, included scheduled service for two years, emergency roadside assistance and a free loaner car whenever you are in for service. This has got to pi$$ off Z owners, as it seems like you're paying an awfully high premium for those little badges on the side that say "Z". Now granted, the G is not a pure sports car, but as I came to realize, thats not what I really wanted, after all, I was looking at the most luxury oriented Z, then considering Dynamatting the whole car to make it quieter and more solid feeling, so I feel the G is the perfect car for me. The Z is a great sports car for 27 or even 30,000, but it's a rip-off at 35-37. So, what did I get? A Diamond Graphite (Silverstone) G35C leather 6MT with charcoal interior, premium package and nav, all the goodies listed above and a car with nearly the same speed and THE same handling as the Z. I didn't get the Aero package (which makes it even cheaper than a loaded Touring) b/c I think the rear spoiler is ugly; I'll be in the market for an aftermarket lip spoiler and will order the underbody diffusers (same as the Track's) through the parts dept. I also get a car that will be more exclusive than the Z (only 11-12,000 units per year). If anyone who hasn't received their Z yet hasn't checked this car out, DO IT! Pictures simply do not do it justice. The 6MT wheels are simply awesome and those Brembos (same as the Track's) are sweet!

Now for the icing on the cake: All NISMO performance upgrades will be directly transplantable into the G35C! This includes the NISMO ECM currently under development (which I was told will raise the redline considerably, remove the speed governor, as well as add more HP and peak torque [don't know how much]). Yeah, Baby, Yeah! The addition of this little puppy will then completely obliterate any performance differences between the G and the Z and put this car totally over the top! I was informed that Nismo will start showing up in Nissan and Infiniti dealerships by the end of Feb. and that Stillen parts were also going to be offered through the dealerships. Beat them apples!

FYI: All the extras listed in my sig below are now up for sale. PM or e-mail me if interested.

Peace.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 01-03-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:32 AM
WayneTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.......so, I guess we'll see you around.........
Old 01-03-2003, 07:42 AM
MustGoFastR

I'm sure I'll stick around, since performance apps will still apply. Anybody know if there is a G35 forum?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:49 AM
TCL

Will the ECU be marketed as "for off-road use only" or will it be emissions certified? That factor should influence sales quite a bit in states with tight emissions laws.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:50 AM
DrRick

congrats, man. i dont think that you will be disappointed at all. good info on the nismo and stillen availability as well. there are a couple of G35 forums. but they arent too hot (which is why im here so much). try freshalloy.com and g35driver.com . since the car is so new, they mostly talk about colors, options, and more basic questions. so when does it come in? i got lucky that when i went to pick up my 5AT, a 6MT was just being unloaded off of the truck sans the spoiler, your car will look pretty similar to this..............

Doc
Old 01-03-2003, 08:00 AM
MustGoFastR

TCL:
All ECM units must meet emissions requirements, especially those sold through dealerships. So yes, it will be legal in every way AND covered by your warranty if you have it dealer installed.

DRRICK:
Thanks for the support. I was hoping you would show up. I'd like to ask you what your opinion is of the spoiler on your car, since mine will be the same color and I've only seen the spoiler in pics? I can still add it to my order if I change my mind, from what I can see though, I think a simple lip spoiler similar to the Z's would look really good on it. Wonder if anybody is making stuff for it yet?

My order will go in 1 week from today, and it's projected for a June delivery. Long time to wait, but they are in very high demand, esp the 6MT. At least I won't have to drive it through the spring storms.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:03 AM
droideka

Default Re: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
This includes the NISMO ECM currently under development (which I was told will raise the redline considerably, remove the speed governor, as well as add more HP and peak torque [don't know how much]). Yeah, Baby, Yeah! The addition of this little puppy will then completely obliterate any performance differences between the G and the Z and put this car totally over the top.
Think about what you just said. The ECU will go in the Z, bump it up and you'll be right back where you started. Behind the Z.

What color is your Earthing kit? I'm interested.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:05 AM
TCL

Thanks for the ECM info. It is a definite item on my list.

Enjoy your G35. Sounds like it met your needs better than the 350. I think there will continue to be some competition between the two vehicles. It all goes to Nissan's bottom line so I guess it's a win-win situation for them and for the consumer who has more flavors to choose from.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:08 AM
kman

Default Cool deal

As I said in the other thread I am going through the debate and after stopping by World Car Nissan (San Antonio) yesterday and having no one even approach me while I was looking at their Z in the showroom for 15 minutes, I can tell you the service alone at Infiniti is almost enough for me to change my mind.

I noticed you are from Houston, not sure if the Infiniti dealer(s) there are giving test drives, but the one here in Austin has a demo (Auto, no manual unfortunately) that they are more than happy to let you drive and push a bit.

Congrats on your decision and putting your mind at ease.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:08 AM
DrRick

i actually like it the spoiler and think that they look kinda bland without it . especially from the back.....
Old 01-03-2003, 08:11 AM
MustGoFastR

Default Re: Re: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Originally posted by droidekaus
Think about what you just said. The ECU will go in the Z, bump it up and you'll be right back where you started. Behind the Z.

What color is your Earthing kit? I'm interested.
True. I was referring to it as compared to a stock Z. Not everyone mods, you know. I think TCL put it best above. It's win-win for everybody.

I'm keeping the earthing kit; it, like all other performance mods will go right into the G35C. Everything under the hood is pretty much identical to the Z, 'cept for the diff. engine cover.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:23 AM
rodH

it almost sounds like you are blaming Nissan and Z owners for offering a Z, buying the Z and the Z being a "rip off"??

a few things

1. The Z is HARDLY A RIP OFF, compare it to the competition!! (S2k, BoxsterS,Z3/4, etc....in price and value)

2. It is YOUR OWN FAULT for NOT looking at the G first, that car fits your NEEDS (it is an AWESOME CAR, and Beautiful, the Z has more "gee wizz factor" but the G is more beautiful. I am getting the Z b/c it is the better performer of the 2, and something I can get mre passionate about, BUT my bro is getting a G, I have said, if Nissan didn't have the Z, I would get the G in a heart beat!! GREAT CAR!!!

3. I prefer NO spoiler.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:31 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by rodH
it almost sounds like you are blaming Nissan and Z owners for offering a Z, buying the Z and the Z being a "rip off"??

a few things

1. The Z is HARDLY A RIP OFF, compare it to the competition!! (S2k, BoxsterS,Z3/4, etc....in price and value)

2. It is YOUR OWN FAULT for NOT looking at the G first, that car fits your NEEDS (it is an AWESOME CAR, and Beautiful, the Z has more "gee wizz factor" but the G is more beautiful. I am getting the Z b/c it is the better performer of the 2, and something I can get mre passionate about, BUT my bro is getting a G, I have said, if Nissan didn't have the Z, I would get the G in a heart beat!! GREAT CAR!!!

3. I prefer NO spoiler.

Settle down.
1. Yes, the Z is a deal compared to it's competition and if it's a true sports car you want, then Its a good choice. I just think it's a little odd that you get so much more from Infiniti for the same price. Just seems like Nissan is inflating the price of the Z just because it's a Z; they're obviously making alot more money off of them than Infiniti is from the G.

2. The G wasn't out yet when I started looking, and what's my fault? It's not like I'm out anything but a few months wait. Nissan was more than happy to refund my deposit.

3. Jury is still out.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:35 AM
rai

Good deal for you. Sound's like nissan needs to raise the price of the G35 so the BMW crowd will notice it. Like you said the Z pushing $40K is a lot different than the Z at or less than $30K.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:38 AM
2003z

I don't think the Z is overpriced, I think the G is underpriced to compete against the europeans.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:41 AM
MustGoFastR

Default Re: Re: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen

Originally posted by VQracer
I doubt All the NISMO parts will be directly transplantable. For example the suspension pieces are similar but the G35C weighs more so they have to take that into consideration when making the suspension bits. Also, exhaust lengths are different on the G35C. And the obvious, body pieces are totally different.

If I remember correctly, Infiniti will label the parts "R-Spec" instead of "NISMO".

Victor

Good info. and good point. I'm persanally only interested in the ECM upgrade, anyways.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:43 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by 2003z
I think the G is underpriced to compete against the europeans.
Could be. I doubt that Infiniti is losing any money on it, though. Either way, it's a hell of a deal.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:47 AM
jckolnturn

Originally posted by VQracer
I doubt All the NISMO parts will be directly transplantable. For example the suspension pieces are similar but the G35C weighs more so they have to take that into consideration when making the suspension bits. Also, exhaust lengths are different on the G35C. And the obvious, body pieces are totally different.

If I remember correctly, Infiniti will label the parts "R-Spec" instead of "NISMO".

Here is a G35 and G35C forum.
The suspension pieces are the same, it would be ridiculous to think they would engineer two different parts for a weight difference that is less than some passenger loads.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:59 AM
jckolnturn

i would be very dissapointed in nismo if they didn't over engineer their parts enough to handle the small weight difference between z and g35 is all i'm saying.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:37 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Thorough analysis, Must; I enjoyed reading it. Looks like you made a well thought out decision & will enjoy the heck out of your new wheels.

After reading your threads I went to the Infiniti site to learn about the G35 Coupe. While I would agree the G35 looks like more bang for the buck, I'd still take the Z. For me its more of an emotion thing. The looks of the Zzz just really grabbed me; it looks like a "concept" car that Nissan did not tone down for the market.......a good thing. I like the "edgy", "muscle" image/looks/presentation of the Z. The G35, to me, looks just like another sports coupe. On the other hand, the Zzzz is a second car for me that will only be driven when the urge hits.
If I had to depend on it as primary transportation, I might well go your direction.

As a side note, I hope you & others who go the "G" route continue to check in here. It would be great to read how our "cousins" are doing.

Quick Reply: Well, I'm switching to the G35C. ALSO: Update on NISMO and Stillen