Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who is the oldest Z owner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
defex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BENSIN
Well shoot, since we've got a pro in the house, when is the best time to take creatine, before or after lifting? If I am lifting for mass, is running quick sprints OK for cardio as opposed to long, drawn out jogging?
Creatine should be consumed after a workout for optimum absorption. It should also be taken with simple carbohydrates so it can be easily transported to your muscle cells.

Note: Creatine is NOT a steroid and will NOT produce steroid like effects, despite what the magazines and fitness stores tell you.

As far as cardio, sprinting would not be considered a good cardiovascular workout. When doing cardio you want to keep your heart rate above normal rate for for around 20-30 minutes to see any sort of benefits to your heart and lungs. If you're just trying to lose weight, sprinting is an effective way of burning calories, but you should also include some type of cardiovascular workout.

EDIT: I just reread your post and you arne't trying to lose weight-you're trying to bulk up. Just do light cardio 2-3 times a week to keep your heart and lungs in good shape. Don't sprint and don't over do it or you'll NEVER gain mass. The most important thing to do when you're trying to gain size is LIFT BIG and EAT BIG! (but of course.. eat the right ****! INCLUDING LOTS OF PROTEIN!)

Now pay me $60 dollars via paypal >

Last edited by defex; 11-18-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:03 PM
BENSIN

LOL

Okay cool, yea I'm at the last day of my loading stage now getting back onto Creatine, been taking it after lifting so that's good to hear. I'm aware of the 'unlike steroids' effect it has, but it's good for what I'm trying to do at the moment when trying to get up to higher weights.

The Sprinting/cardio thing, won't extended light cardio decrease size? As of current I'm lifting for Hypertrophy and will then onto lifting for Strength and Power, I'm going to assume you know what I'm talking about. I spoke to a couple of people, been lifting for years, they suggested doing the sprints, as opposed to maintained jogging (a mile or so around the track), but more points of view are surely welcome. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but can you give me the background as to why sprinting is not good as opposed to the maintained light cardio?

I'm going to guess you're familiar with Will Brink? I read a book he put out on gaining mass, no B.S. stuff like in magazines, managed to put my diet together based on his book, it was a good read.

As far as diet, I pretty much used his formulas to put together how many calories I need a day, broken down to proteins, fats and carbs. Still working the finalized diet as I continue my lifting and research, but I think I'm close. Except I increased the amount of protein I take in to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight as opposed to 1 gram.

I hope that stuff made sense and I'm not coming off as a moron but yea, oh another thing, I usually have a bowl of white rice after lifting to decrease the amount of corosol? after physical stress (lifting/tearing muscle). As for complex/simple carbs, that I'm still in the dark about and I'm researching now, if there is a distinct difference, please let me know. Breads, potatoes, beans, pastas, I know rice is carbs, I'm probably missing some others tuff, but what makes one complex and the other simple I have yet to look into.

ok I'm typing way too much and you're probably half asleep by now.

oh yea, kudos on your choice of Z color, black is the ish.

edit:

Oh yea, here's your sixty dollars
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 PM
defex

At the risk of hijacking the thread farther and being beaten to death by the older Z owners I will respond!

Where to start... hmm..

OK..

Simple Carbohydrates and Complex carbohydrates:
Simple carbhydrates are those that are easily broken down by the body. Complex carbohyrates take a longer time to be broken down and utilized. Thus, RIGHT before/after a workout it is best to consume simple carbohydrates so that your body can begin using the energy and nutrients almost immediately. In my opinion, this is the ONLY time simple carbohydrates are good to consume if one is looking to stay lean. If they are not used immediately(since theyre digested and broken down immediately) they are stored as fat.

TO RECAP: Simple carbs RIGHT before and RIGHT after you workout. Complex carbs any other time in the day. The only exception being before bed time, because by the time theyre broken down you'll be asleep and your body will automatically store the carbs as fat since it cannot utilize it as energy. This is basically true with any calorie consumed before bedtime other than protein, which can actually help burn fat and grow muscle if consumed right before sleep.

Some example of complex carbs: pasta, bread, rice
Some examples of simple carbs: sugar, Corn syrup, Fruit, fruit juice

Try to stick to the BROWN carbohydrates. Instead of white bread, eat WHEAT. Also, try eating complex carbs that are higher in fiber..

Now IM putting YOU to sleep!

Cardio:
Any cardiovascular workout that doesn't keep your heart rate above normal(should be at your target heart rate) for at the VERY least 15 minutes straight does little to no good for your heart and lungs. Sprinting doesn't really fall under those guidlines so I personally would never categorize it as cardiovascular. Sure, long duration cardio will make it a bit harder to put on the mass but if you're truly concerned with gaining size you may want to holdoff on the cardio altogether for a little while. I DONT like recommending that because your heart and lungs need the exercise too.. but in reality it makes it twice as hard to put on the mass..

Note that there are several different views of "fitness" and how to go about reaching your goals, but my opinions are based off of numerous studies and highly regarded fitness authors. Best thing you can do is read for yourself the studies published that are widely available on the web and in books supporting one method or another. When I spend this much time and effort on something like this I like to see what I'm doing backed up by scientific data and I'm sure others feel the same. I'm not just gonna do 500 bench press reps cause the biggest guy in the gym told me to do it

..sort of like seeing a dyno of a mod before spending $800.00 bucks on it..

Last edited by defex; 11-18-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:47 AM
BENSIN

Hmm, interesting read. The simple / complex carbohydrate is pretty easy to understand, great job summing that up. About the whole wheat everything, yea I have been sticking to whole wheat breads for some time now. As far as the cardio, well that is quite a puzzling situation, but based on what you're telling me in regards to cardio I think it's best to gain some mass and then start up the cardio slowly.

I agree on what you're saying about the 'reading for yourself' because that's the only way to really do it. I have to say though, I always like hearing input from others because either they're onto something I'm not aware of or vice versa. Most of what I'm doing/utilizing is based off of reading the works of Will Brink who is a practitioner of what he preaches.

Now all I need to do is find a few good sources of omega 3 fats to help finalize the diet and MOVE OVER RON COLEMAN.

Not putting me to sleep at all, it's all knowledge brother. Nothing boring about that.

thanks!
Old 11-19-2005, 08:56 AM
jnkirk1974

Originally Posted by Travisf@i-a-v.c
I had a "late life" crisis and bought a used '05 Z. I haven't had so much fun since, well, you know. Just passed 66 in years not mph (yikes!).

So 'fess up, how old are u?
I'm 31, but with 1 wife (I don't know why I put my total number of wives) 3 kids and 2 dogs, sometimes I feel like a beaten-down 80 year old!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defex

I'm quite familiar with bodybuilding and fitness. I'm a certified fitness trainer..

Let me just say if you don't take anabolic's you have some KILLER GENETICS to look like that at your age! Not that you're old.. it just gets pretty damn hard after 40 to maintain a physic like that without a little "help" from some "friends"..

If you're telling the truth.. good for you!

If not.. you might wana have your liver tested..
I used to compete in bodybuilding in my early 20's and still workout 60 min/day 4-5x week. This guy does not in any way have a "steroid build". Yes, he is ripped to shreds but does not have the size that goes with steroid induced muscle. Obviously he has a high metabolism, but I would believe he's not on the juice. Not enough mass for juice.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:38 AM
BENSIN

That's nothing

one time arnold schwartzenegger was around and he saw me i was so muscular big jacked that he was like hey where did this mirror come from! then i started talking to him and he was like 'oh my god you're alive!1'.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:47 AM
defex

Originally Posted by Speedracer
I used to compete in bodybuilding in my early 20's and still workout 60 min/day 4-5x week. This guy does not in any way have a "steroid build". Yes, he is ripped to shreds but does not have the size that goes with steroid induced muscle. Obviously he has a high metabolism, but I would believe he's not on the juice. Not enough mass for juice.
If you knew about juice you would know not all steroids are for mass..

Winstrol.. trenny.. primo..

That's the look he has.

No, I'm not saying he HAS to take steroids to get that look. It's just very hard for someone that age to be that ripped without losing all their mass. He still has a decent amount of mass.

Anyway, I'm just chalkin' it up to his genetics..
Old 11-19-2005, 10:49 AM
defex

Originally Posted by BENSIN
That's nothing

one time arnold schwartzenegger was around and he saw me i was so muscular big jacked that he was like hey where did this mirror come from! then i started talking to him and he was like 'oh my god you're alive!1'.
lol
Old 11-19-2005, 12:56 PM
ZRA

How about sticking to the original post?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about sticking to the original post?

+1
Old 11-19-2005, 02:23 PM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by Axewielder
I dont take any steriods and I think thats bad taste that you'd even suggest that....

It's called tuna and vegetables...
I was thinking badger milk myself...
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 PM
thezedsled

Or perhaps cow semen delivered by a suppository?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Z33 silver

wow i'm not alone i'm 43, cool
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I'll be 62 on Monday so I just worked the last day of my life that I have to work. From this point on, the attitude can change dramatically. I have a 2003 Z and it now has 4800 miles so it is strictly a weekend car.

Les