Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how bad is it to drive without plastic under belly engine cover.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 PM
jackwhale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smoother and faster the air flow under the car the better the downforce. Le Mans sports car have the entire underside completely flat and smooth with an extractor at the rear to continue the smooth air flow. I read somewhere that the resulting increase in downforce is comparable to spoilers/wings on the topside. I don't know about that statement but a flat underside is certainly crucial to maximum downforce at high speeds. (Bernoulli principle in physics)

I took mine off soon after I bought the car so that oil changing would be easier. I put it back on at my first track day thinking that it would produce some degree of improvement in downforce. I also thought about making additional smooth plates to smooth the air flow under the entire length of the center of the car. In the end I worried about trapped heat along the exhaust causing more problems.

There certainly are engineer/physcists on this board that know a great deal more than I about airflow.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:57 AM
arejohn

That plastic panel has no purpose. Car manufactures put extra parts on cars just to provide assemblers and servicers unnecessary work and increase costs they pass on to consumers like us.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
The splash pan is there to protect delicate items such as these oxygen sensors and wiring. Get one
Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
The lower engine cover doesnt go as far back to cover the O2 sensors in the cats that harness clip onto the trans bracket...
David your wrong, Jason is correct. The splash guard doesnt go that far back. You will be fine not running one guys.....
Old 11-23-2005, 10:38 AM
spf4000

Originally Posted by jackwhale
The smoother and faster the air flow under the car the better the downforce. Le Mans sports car have the entire underside completely flat and smooth with an extractor at the rear to continue the smooth air flow. I read somewhere that the resulting increase in downforce is comparable to spoilers/wings on the topside. I don't know about that statement but a flat underside is certainly crucial to maximum downforce at high speeds. (Bernoulli principle in physics)

I took mine off soon after I bought the car so that oil changing would be easier. I put it back on at my first track day thinking that it would produce some degree of improvement in downforce. I also thought about making additional smooth plates to smooth the air flow under the entire length of the center of the car. In the end I worried about trapped heat along the exhaust causing more problems.

There certainly are engineer/physcists on this board that know a great deal more than I about airflow.
You should see the underside of a Lotus Elise--completely flat. That thing is beautiful.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:34 PM
jackwhale

'Lotus Elise'---and Jack slips off into dreamlike reverie...