Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How does the current Z hang with the Competition??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 06:31 PM
myZ97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How does the current Z hang with the Competition??

Ive been deciding whether or not to get a Z for the past few months. My concern is whether the Z could hang quarter mile wise with the 02/03 mustang gts. All of my buddys have em and I myself have a 97 vert gt. Im just so tired of gettin my @ss handed to me! I cannot justify buying another mustang cause its the same suspension, same interior, same engine practically. Plus I want to be different then have another mustang to add to the road! What Kind of Dyno #s are you getting out of these things stock? Also what can I expect 1/4 mile times of?? I know the Z is a handling car but I want my straight line perforence too! Ease my worrys with some responses.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:45 PM
zogan

the fastest 1/4 mile time I have seen posted was 13.8. I bet there is one faster. The Z stock HP is 27 more than the 2003 Ford Mustang Sport Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/ford...tml?id=lin0018

I have personally raced s2000 w/ mods and beat it. I don't consider the mustang in the same catagory, but I did race one w/ no troubles, but the driver was spinning a lot. The HP on the Z is very clean. The car is fast and clean, looks nice, and will never be a common car. Go to the car comparison forum and racing forum to hear on hand stories. I look a up a lot of info on www.edmunds.com. PM me if there is anything else I can answer for you. Hogan
Old 01-04-2003, 06:49 PM
nosuchsol

I would probably say that with equal drivers the cars will be around the same 1/4 times. With good drivers the Z will edge it by a tenth or so. 13.8-14.2 seems to be a good range. We'll just have to see when there are some broken in Zs with better tires than the OE. Now around a track is a different story. =) The Z will edge out most competition out there within it's price range. There is plenty of competition on these shores and coming to these shores. The EVO, WRX/STi, RX-8, etc etc etc.... they all fall and rise in certain categories - just find a blend of everything that fits you the best. =) budget allowing.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:51 PM
myZ97

Default cool

Hogan,
Thanks for the reply. You know what im talkin about though. If I were to get a Z I want make sure its a step in the right direction which I assume it is. I will check the other comparison forum for more info. Also has nissan done anything with its paint issues?? I really like the blue but heard thats got some issues with it. My other color choice would be silverstone if worst comes to worst.
Derek
Old 01-04-2003, 06:58 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 96 GT Vert lightly modded and a Z. The Z kills it. No comparison for any facet. I raced a 2001 Gt and killed it. Put it this way: SOME say the Z is even with Z28's on acceleration, you and I know, as much as we like to kid ourselves, a mustang GT will not take a Z28. I have not found a Z28 who wanted to play so I cant say. Our stangs are about 4000 lbs, my z is 3225 with 3/4 of a tank.

Another thing you have to realize is the mustang is very sloppy (from handling to build quality). If you can spend the money you will be more than happy with a Z . . . although being a mustang fan you should at least drive a 2003 Cobra, they are fun too but still a Ford!
Old 01-04-2003, 08:19 PM
zogan

Default Re: cool

Originally posted by myZ97
Hogan,
Thanks for the reply. You know what im talkin about though. If I were to get a Z I want make sure its a step in the right direction which I assume it is. I will check the other comparison forum for more info. Also has nissan done anything with its paint issues?? I really like the blue but heard thats got some issues with it. My other color choice would be silverstone if worst comes to worst.
Derek
IMO, I think the silverstone will have better resale value. I don't know if they are going t do anything about the paint, I took my car to the dealer Friday to get its free oil change, and they say a door ding ( don't know how I got it, I park in BFE). They are going to fix it for free. My dad is in the automotive paint business, he said the clear bras's is the way to go. I am going to get one hopefully for free from one of the 3M reps. I have a few minor chips up front, but nothing noticable unless you are looking close. I love the Z, you just don't udnerstand how much attention you get in this car. More than I ever got in the my Supra TT. Believe it or not, I have had many sport cars in the past( supra tt, rx7, lt1 conv., 911, 944, 3000gt, 300zx tt, and viper gts 96') and a friend of mine put it simple, "of all the cars you have owned, to me they were just cars, but that one is on a higher level". You would have to know my friend, but if it passed the test with him, it will w/ most.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:26 PM
mcduck

I would agree that results depend a lot on the driver when you start dealing with cars close in performance stats...

For the record, I have been on the winning end of races with...
  • Mustang GT (recent ... probably an '99 or '00)
  • Mustang Bullitt Edition GT (beat by about 1 1/2 car lengths)
  • A Boxster S (through curves and on a straight)
  • Trans Am ('01 I believe, but could have been older)
  • other lesser cars...

Actually, by being laid back and selective about who I tussle with, I have had the good fortune of not being beaten yet. Of course, I blatantly avoided racing a new SVT Mustang that would have handed me my butt so quickly I don't want to think about it.

Have not encountered an S2000 on the street yet.

Overall, this car is a blast to drive and with SC and turbos in the works, you can find enough HP to play with most cars.

In the end, buy what you like.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
ScottC

You dont want a Mustang. Mustang = cheese
Old 01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
myZ97

Default Mustangs arent that bad!

Glad to hear the Z can hold its own! Im glad they are superior to the stangs. But comeon guys, mustangs arent that bad! Personally i think the new ones look terrible. I think the 94-98 stangs look much better. THanks for the opinions. BTW anyone race a 96-98 cobra???
Old 01-06-2003, 07:05 PM
mcduck

no Cobras for me yet... if its a new Cobra...well 390 hp vs 287 hp, you do the math... I don't mess.

Around here, most of the older Cobra's have a few tricks built in by now, so I know better than to mess with them, too... for now...
Old 01-07-2003, 08:45 AM
S8ER95Z

Just stay away from the newer Z28s and obviously modded ones and you will do fine

Seriously people stay stock where your from? That has to suck.. LOL After quite a few mods now I can finally edge out some LS1s and hang with others.. don't kid yourselfs...saw a 02 WS6 at cordova Jan 1st.. he is bone stock and runs 12.87!!! He is usually under 13 flat every run... damn scary.

Hell most stangs in my area are mid to low 13s if not 12s.. people don't play around I guess. My friends 86 Mustang is street driven, and runs 10.60s @ 127mph.

He only likes to run for money though...bastage.

Good luck deciding man!

Signed, The Enemy LMAO

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 01-07-2003 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Maximam

Default Re: How does the current Z hang with the Competition??

Originally posted by myZ97
Ease my worrys with some responses.
You want power? Time to step up!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:31 PM
BrianZ

If straight-line performance is your bag, then the Z might not be.

Get almost any Chevy that takes small-block 350, and you can do almost anything you want to it. Blown, nitrous, whatever. Trust me, those Rustangs don't stand a chance.

Been there. Done that.