Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2005 Vs 2006

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 06 does NOT weigh a few hundred pounds more than the 03-05 it's false.. Me and a bunch of mid a guys went to Maryland International Raceway nad weighed the cars.. I have an 06 with Ypipe, single exhaust, testpipes, pop charger and MREVplus kit... I weighed in at 3,170... My buddies TN single turbo Z with no passanger seat and slicks with light weight wheels, and 9lb exhaust weighed in at 3,125.... Yes the turbo kit added about 80 pounds to his car but still.. I had full leather interior and stock 18's. The 06's are not "a few hundred pounds heavier" The Nissan specs are off.
My brothers 06 with pop charger and test pipes weighed in at 3,200 and change. There are many people in the mid a section that can confirm this.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 AM
k3silk

very true^ i was there and all the guys weigh in i didnt think that it was that close to each other because nissan said it was 300 more then the 03-04 but that was not the case.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:10 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So nissan lied about the '06 weights??? Seems to me like the people who built the car would know how much it weighed. What reason would they have to lie about it? To give all the previous owners a sigh of relief to think they have the same hp:weight ratios??? Then again, I always wondered what they could have added that weighed 200 pounds.

Even if the weight numbers are right, the extra power would still show itself at higher speeds, and the higher redline couldnt not be an advantage. If the cars are lighter than nissan claimed, the advantage would be a bit bigger.

My vote goes to the rev-up engines regardless. Side by side it would be a small, but noticable difference.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:38 AM
Category5

The torque/weight ratio superiority of the '05 makes it a no-brainer winner, assuming equal drivers.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 AM
roast

Oh god, here we go again. Another rocket scientiest who doesn't know the difference between torque and horsepower wants to call it a no-brainer. Go figure.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Category5
The torque/weight ratio superiority of the '05 makes it a no-brainer winner, assuming equal drivers.
Did you not just read the part about the weight being almost the same big guy?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Category5

I think you're the one you needs a lesson in HP vs. torque: pull your 300hp Z up to a 300hp Mustang GT and see what happens...he'll drop you like a rock. Weight: hmmm, do I believe some crack-heads at a drag-strip who say no difference, or Nissan engineers you say your bloated 2006 is 150+ lbs heavier.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Jyoder7

I think you're the one you needs a lesson in HP vs. torque: pull your 300hp Z up to a 300hp Mustang GT and see what happens...he'll drop you like a rock. Weight: hmmm, do I believe some crack-heads at a drag-strip who say no difference, or Nissan engineers you say your bloated 2006 is 150+ lbs heavier.
From a roll torque will make a big diferrence, not really from a dig assuming the Z is launched from the right RPM. BTW the Mustang GT makes more than the rated 300hp, its closer to 315-325.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
roast

It's always good to THINK. It's even better to KNOW.

First of all, an '05 300hp stang GT is a pretty close race for me. The only one I've got to race, we had about 5 rolls on the highway. The GT hit it first every time and I stuck right with it every time, with the exception of the last run which we hit it at the same time and I crawled away with a win. I hardly got "dropped like a rock".

Secondly, I have raced many more 99-04 mustang GT's(more than 10, I've lost count), and that makes a better example for clearing up your misconception. 260hp 300tq. If torque won races, they too would "drop me like a rock", but they're the ones who get spanked (and spanked pretty badly I might add). All stock 99-04 GT's are heavier than my car and send less HORSEPOWER to the wheels. That's a recipe for losing, and that's why they can't beat me. Despite the weight differences, some of them actually have better tq:weight ratios, and guess what, in a race it DOES NOT MATTER.

It's not a boat pulling contest.

Torque is measured in FOOT POUNDS. The force it takes to move 1pound 100feet is the same as 100lbs 1 foot. Time is not a factor. Unfortunately races take place over TIME. So if torque is to mean anything regarding how hard AND FAST an engine can work, TIME must be factored in. That's what horspower is for. hp = torque * revperMINUTE / 5252

Hopefully that is enough obvious information to demonstrate to you why you are wrong. If you have any more to say, I suggest you take it up with a highschool physics teacher because someone forgot to teach you some very basic physics principles.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 PM
h8rain

My vote is for the 35th Anv. but I could have a slight bias.....
Old 06-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Miko

It just seems logical that when you consider a gain of a few more ponies, a loss of a little torque, and a gain of weight...its one plus (hp) and two minuses (weight & tq). 13 ponies can't really make up for all of that, can it? I mean its only 13 ponies ppl I'd understand if the difference was 287 vs 350..but 13, doesn't seem like much to make a significant difference out there. I'm just looking at this from a noobish perspective lol
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
lottness

Ehh Who Cares? If you bought the Z for straight line speed and power in my opinion you bought the wrong car. There are faster stock cars out there that will beat the Z even with mods. The true talent of the Z comes out on the track, wether you have the base or track model they all perform great on the track. Personally I think the Z is a bit underpowered but I didnt buy it to run 1/4 miles or to street race, I bought it for the looks, and the glued to the road sensation I get when hitting the winding roads. 287/300 HP? That just doesnt really matter to me i dont earn my living racing, I just drive the damn car the way it should be driven and I love it.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Miko

Amen. I'm right with ya on that one.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
diablo25mn

Originally Posted by Osix350Z
The 06 does NOT weigh a few hundred pounds more than the 03-05 it's false.. Me and a bunch of mid a guys went to Maryland International Raceway nad weighed the cars.. I have an 06 with Ypipe, single exhaust, testpipes, pop charger and MREVplus kit... I weighed in at 3,170... My buddies TN single turbo Z with no passanger seat and slicks with light weight wheels, and 9lb exhaust weighed in at 3,125.... Yes the turbo kit added about 80 pounds to his car but still.. I had full leather interior and stock 18's. The 06's are not "a few hundred pounds heavier" The Nissan specs are off.
My brothers 06 with pop charger and test pipes weighed in at 3,200 and change. There are many people in the mid a section that can confirm this.
+1 thanks for posting the information i was going to ask for. People tend to believe numbers that are in their favor but deny the ones that are not. Honestly factory rating for the weight of a vehicle are typically higher, than the actual. Why? Don't know, the reality of it is that what makes this car so good is the balance it incorporates in reference to power, handling, and comfort.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:11 PM
lottness

[QUOTE=roastSo nissan lied about the '06 weights??? Seems to me like the people who built the car would know how much it weighed What reason would they have to lie about it? To give all the previous owners a sigh of relief to think they have the same hp:weight ratios??? QUOTE]

Well it wouldnt be the first time auto makers have streatched to truth or lied for what ever reason. I mean they lied to a lot of peoples faces when they said the 03 Z's didnt have a tire feathering problem when everyone damn well knew they did.

Last edited by lottness; 06-05-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 PM
roast

Originally Posted by diablo25mn
+1 thanks for posting the information i was going to ask for. People tend to believe numbers that are in their favor but deny the ones that are not. Honestly factory rating for the weight of a vehicle are typically higher, than the actual. Why? Don't know, the reality of it is that what makes this car so good is the balance it incorporates in reference to power, handling, and comfort.
You do realize he has at least 150lbs (if not more) of weight reduction that sets him very close to the numbers nissan claims? He is obviously confused about how much weight he shaved off...

People also tend to forget curb weight includes a full tank of gas and the Z has a big 20 gallon tank, at 6.25lbs a gallon, it adds up... or in the case of weighing the car with an empty tank... the weight sure comes off.

Originally Posted by Miko
It just seems logical that when you consider a gain of a few more ponies, a loss of a little torque, and a gain of weight...its one plus (hp) and two minuses (weight & tq). 13 ponies can't really make up for all of that, can it? I mean its only 13 ponies ppl I'd understand if the difference was 287 vs 350..but 13, doesn't seem like much to make a significant difference out there. I'm just looking at this from a noobish perspective lol
You do realize that more ponies and less torque is not a trade off when racing, especially road racing? It's an advantage. Look at F1 cars. They make insane power and much less torque all from a tiny 2.4 liter engine that spins like an s2000 on methamphetamines...

Also, at higher speeds, even if the cars have exactly the same hp:weight ratio and aerodynamics, the car with more horsepower will have more power to overcome aerodynamic drag. That means better top end and higher top speed. Weight doesn't affect top speed.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Miko

Its just a whole dilemma over 13 ponies It is something, but just not that big of a deal (at least not to me). What would be the outcome of same model '05 and '06 at a 50 mph roll? That'd be an interesting one.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
roast

No, the dilemma is noobs posting BS information.

As I said, the difference is small and not that big of a deal. I own a non-revup so there is no reason for me to say it's slightly slower unless it were true.

Do I care? NOPE!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

"Crack-heads"? What are you shooting off your **** sucker for when you have no idea... Did you weigh an 06 at the track? I did, and with the few mods I have it weighed in at 3,170.. Like I said there are plenty of people in the mid a section that can attest to this FACT.. Now, I did get rid of the spare/tools, factory exhaust, cats/Ypipe.... So that plays a part in the weight of MY 06.. And NO, an 05 GT will not drop me lock a rock lol... If you read my other posts you would see I'm not stock. I'm Lighter than a stock 06 with more hp and more torque, read a little more before you make ridiculous comments.. I think someone should "drop you like a rock" kid.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:41 AM
TomatoEvo

So where was this extra weight put in? Beefier components or ?

Quick Reply: 2005 Vs 2006