2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an Automatic really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
compitaveggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is an Automatic really that bad?

I never thought of buying a 350z, but when my Professor told me he was selling his I jumped at the chance. He was A buying a house in San diego(Prices are Sky high) and needed to sell it quick. He offered it at $18000. It is the "04 touring with bose and Navigation,leather, 11,000 miles great condition because i saw him drive it everyday since he bought it a 18 months ago. The only thing I was not so sure of was that it was automatic. All i read is that the auto sucks. Does it realy lack in performance or does it just lack in fun? If I try racing it at strip will it still do well? Is there any mods that I can do to make it compete with manuel? Well needless to say I still bought it because at that price it still seems like a great deal.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
NightRida

Dont listean to the manueal haters!
If you jsut want to drag it at the strip then auto is fine, anything on a straightline basis is fine with the auto. However auto X with the auto and your gonna get whooped by the manuels. You can modd the auto and yes it will compete with the manuels as long as its a strightaway!
Good deal btw!
Peace!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that I drive my car more than race it.

San Diego (or the rest of this country) doesn't have jack for traffic compared to LA but if you drive the 5 from north of the city in Sand Dog's bumper-to-bumper traffic for 30-40 minutes twice a day you'll enjoy the automatic.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:14 PM
cessna

Man, dont sweat it,..... unless your a heel to toe guy, you wont feel a diff.... Trust me, I`d rather have an MT, and my G is the first AT I`ve owned in since I bought my first car......
I honnestly dont think I could shift as fast as my AT can........ Its all about throttle control in the twisties, you can do it just as well as a MT imo.....
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 PM
gumulri

Originally Posted by compitaveggie
I never thought of buying a 350z, but when my Professor told me he was selling his I jumped at the chance. He was A buying a house in San diego(Prices are Sky high) and needed to sell it quick. He offered it at $18000. It is the "04 touring with bose and Navigation,leather, 11,000 miles great condition because i saw him drive it everyday since he bought it a 18 months ago. The only thing I was not so sure of was that it was automatic. All i read is that the auto sucks. Does it realy lack in performance or does it just lack in fun? If I try racing it at strip will it still do well? Is there any mods that I can do to make it compete with manuel? Well needless to say I still bought it because at that price it still seems like a great deal.
this z's auto is awsome u will like it and I have a 0 to 60 record at the track .
I took 5.731 second to get 60 with my stock auto Z.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 PM
FairladyZX

That's a great deal for 04' with NAV and leather. Yo better get it. Auto is fine. At least you'll still be able to hold you gf's hand while taking off from a dig.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
gumulri

u can do everything with ur auto except drifting. u might gonna loose ur
tranny but still u can drift with auto manual shift
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM
gumulri

Originally Posted by FairladyZX
That's a great deal for 04' with NAV and leather. Yo better get it. Auto is fine. At least you'll still be able to hold you gf's hand while taking off from a dig.
+1
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM
nickintempe

Auto definitely isn't my thing, but it's more out of what I consider to be part of the driving experience than the small difference in performance. I'd say give his car a drive and jump all over it if you enjoy it. $18 grand is a smoking deal for an '04 touring with only 11k miles on it, and I definitely would be willing to overlook the auto tranny in this case.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get it. if its the car you want, dont listen to anyone on here that will try to tell you about "how much better the manual is". You're driving the car and making the payments, not them. If the car is in decent shape, pick it up!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:30 PM
MagicPie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$18K I'D JUMP ON THAT
great mileage, and with all the options cant go wrong
Nothing wrong with an Auto plus you dont have to worry about the blown tranny the Manuals something have
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, if you have to ask this question.... then just go with the auto.

Even if the manuals were dogs compared to the Auto's I STILL would have went with a manual because that's what "I" want.

Test drive it and if you want it, get it.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:43 PM
lilaznxboi08

thats an awesome deal 18K!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:46 PM
NissanGuy

buy it and then sell it if you want a manual. That's too good of a deal to pass.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:49 PM
gumulri

Originally Posted by NissanGuy
buy it and then sell it if you want a manual. That's too good of a deal to pass.
+1
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
pacificwindsurf

I had to get an auto because my wife cannot drive a manual and must sometimes drive the car. Most of my friends who have auto trans got them because of their wives.. Oh well, sacrifices ... I love driving manuals, but I have to say, as a daily driver, with a latte in one hand and a cell phone in the other, I can't say there aren't days when I don't benefit from the auto
Old 12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I find that I drive my car more than race it.

San Diego (or the rest of this country) doesn't have jack for traffic compared to LA but if you drive the 5 from north of the city in Sand Dog's bumper-to-bumper traffic for 30-40 minutes twice a day you'll enjoy the automatic.
Don't mind the manual and I drive in the worse parts of traffic. I just don't fiddle with the radio and when I got to take a dump it distracts me. Buy his car sell it to a lady (rip her off) then buy the manly manual.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 PM
VeeTec

DayBluZ ran a 13.39 with his auto, and only 3 bolt ons that I know of.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
FatBoy1

That is too sweet of a deal to pass up. I have owned both 5AT/6MT, you will not be disappointed with the auto.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by camaro194
get it. if its the car you want, dont listen to anyone on here that will try to tell you about "how much better the manual is". You're driving the car and making the payments, not them. If the car is in decent shape, pick it up!
+1... I have an auto and don't mind it but if you want a standard the auto is a poor substitution

Quick Reply: Is an Automatic really that bad?