thezedsled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex12
Carbon fiber doors shave off 140 lbs?

But at what cost?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Camber

you guys are telling him to take out sound dedning material and interior peices to reduce weight instead of replacing body panels for c/f!? Isnt this his daily. I dont think many of you have ridden in a car w/o sound dedning, but its LOUD and obnoxious. CF panels are the way to go to reduce weight, do go taking out ac and thinks like that.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by Camber
you guys are telling him to take out sound dedning material and interior peices to reduce weight instead of replacing body panels for c/f!? Isnt this his daily. I dont think many of you have ridden in a car w/o sound dedning, but its LOUD and obnoxious. CF panels are the way to go to reduce weight, do go taking out ac and thinks like that.
They are all good sugestions but I do not plan to try either. Carbon fiber is expensive and looks silly in my opinion. If i was going to dump that kind of money I would not have bought a Z. And there is no way I want this car to be any louder than it already is.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
thezedsled

I am just looking to trim the fat and get rid of the useless stuff as I have already said. Stuff like the weight in the hatch and so forth and so on....
Old 12-07-2005, 06:02 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CF hoods weigh the same or more than the OEM hood, CF Hatches don't weigh that much less unless you want to spend some serious $$$ on a custom dry carbon hatch. I don't know about the fenders, but I am sure they aren't that much different either. The CF doors are way lighter but to make them even remotely safe to drive with you need a full roll cage with door bars since the CF ones are just a shell. So unless you want to spend a lot of money for custom dry carbon parts, it is near pointless to get cf parts for the Z.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
CF hoods weigh the same or more than the OEM hood, CF Hatches don't weigh that much less unless you want to spend some serious $$$ on a custom dry carbon hatch. I don't know about the fenders, but I am sure they aren't that much different either. The CF doors are way lighter but to make them even remotely safe to drive with you need a full roll cage with door bars since the CF ones are just a shell. So unless you want to spend a lot of money for custom dry carbon parts, it is near pointless to get cf parts for the Z.
You couldn't be more right!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Camber

well, titanium exhaust is one step in the right direction.

one question, what do you consider alot of money?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:24 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

well, titanium exhaust is one step in the right direction.

one question, what do you consider alot of money?
Titanium exhaust is good.

I consider $1000+ for a dry carbon CF hatch a lot of money. Then you have to add the custom cut lexan window becuause a real dry carbon hatch wont support the factory glass very well since it is flimsy and flexible.

CF Doors, I am not sure of the price, but they are probably expensive. Then you have to get a custom cage made to make the car safe to drive again, which adds some weight back. Once you have a custom cage, you need 5-point harnesses to keep yourself from cracking your skull open on the roll cage in the event of a roll over. Oh and then you need racing seats to properly mount the harnesses.

I could go on and on...It may not be the cost of the actual part thats expensive, sometimes its getting all of the little things to make them work right or be safe that adds up.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Camber

well if carbon panels are too much for your budget, the go about reducing unsprung weight its the most effecting weight savings, wheels, a arms, shocks and springs or coilovers that are lighter etc. unsprung weight makes a big difference on vehicle performance in every aspect, not just acceleration.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^Thats true. Wheels, rotors, flywheel, and all other moving parts are the best to lighten up. Every 1 pound you drop of rotating mass is like 9 lbs of dead weight off of the car. At least thats what I have heard.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
thezedsled

Titanium exhaust is good.

I consider $1000+ for a dry carbon CF hatch a lot of money. Then you have to add the custom cut lexan window becuause a real dry carbon hatch wont support the factory glass very well since it is flimsy and flexible.

CF Doors, I am not sure of the price, but they are probably expensive. Then you have to get a custom cage made to make the car safe to drive again, which adds some weight back. Once you have a custom cage, you need 5-point harnesses to keep yourself from cracking your skull open on the roll cage in the event of a roll over. Oh and then you need racing seats to properly mount the harnesses.

I could go on and on...It may not be the cost of the actual part thats expensive, sometimes its getting all of the little things to make them work right or be safe that adds up.
+1
Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 PM
thezedsled

Well, I have the brembo brakes since it's a track but I am sure that I could get better rotors....

Any sugestions?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
thezedsled

^^^Thats true. Wheels, rotors, flywheel, and all other moving parts are the best to lighten up. Every 1 pound you drop of rotating mass is like 9 lbs of dead weight off of the car. At least thats what I have heard.

I think your right and that is one of the main reasons I still roll the stock 18" rays that came on my ride...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

For the money you aren't going to find brake rotors for the Brembos that are that much lighter, but when the time comes to get new ones... If you track your car at all I suggest the StopTech 2-Piece Aero Rotors.

The OEM track model wheels are good, but you can find lighter. 17" 5-Zigen FN01R-Cs in black look sick and they fit over the OEM Brembos. Actually I have some for sale if interested. They won't fit over my new BBK. Here are my suggestions for best bang for the buck weight savings...

Replace rear window glass with lexan
Smaller lighter wheels
Aftermarket exhaust and cats
Lightweight Flywheel
Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
thezedsled

For the money you aren't going to find brake rotors for the Brembos that are that much lighter, but when the time comes to get new ones... If you track your car at all I suggest the StopTech 2-Piece Aero Rotors.

The OEM track model wheels are good, but you can find lighter. 17" 5-Zigen FN01R-Cs in black look sick and they fit over the OEM Brembos. Actually I have some for sale if interested. They won't fit over my new BBK. Here are my suggestions for best bang for the buck weight savings...

Replace rear window glass with lexan
Smaller lighter wheels
Aftermarket exhaust and cats
Lightweight Flywheel
Got any pics of the wheels?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Not yet. They have never been mounted, in fact, two of them have never been opened. Anyways, here is a pic of the same wheels on Rickdogg's car.

Sorry for whoring pictures of your car on the internet Rick...
Attached Thumbnails weight reduction-track3.jpg  
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 PM
thezedsled

hmmm, nice wheels but not my style. Thanks for the pic!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
thezedsled

Just out of curiosity, how much would you want for them and how wide are they?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

$875 shipped. They are 17" x 9.5" front +15 offset and 17" x 10.5" rear +25 offset.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssgohan434
Lol, i wouldnt be surprised if your car doesnt have any paint on it either for additional weight savings.
I love painted parts, but that is the reason why I havent painted my CF parts. No joke. Have you seen the RSR s2000? That is a dry carbon cwest kit on that and they wouldnt allow them to paint it so they put vinyl

Quick Reply: weight reduction