Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

i'm seriously considering selling my z

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:13 AM
pavster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes you just get bored with a car after some time, and there is nothing wrong with looking for something new, especially if money isn't a huge issue. Cars are appliances after all; they do get old, and they do wear out. Get the STi; play with it; if you miss the Z, get another Z.

If you want a cheap car to mod that's also a hoot to drive, look into used Miatas (if you can fit in one, that is). You can pick up a low mileage donor for next to nothing, bolt a big turbo onto it, and have 250 RWHP in a 2300lb car. I used to have one. Compared with it, the Z feels like an comfy cruiser.

Problem with STi is that parts are expensive; upgrades are expensive; repairs are expensive. Miatas cost nothing; a used tranny is $200, used block $400, and I am talking low-mileage parts. So you can beat on it, break it, and get it running again with no fuss.

Good luck with your decision; it's a fun one!
-pavel
Old 12-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

Z with bolt-ons vs STI with bolt-ons is equal, actually edge to the Z. Look Here and here to see what I mean. Keep the Z, or I will do ^^^ that to you
Old 12-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Jcolman

The speed sensation will eventually go away no matter what car you drive. I use to own a 370hp, 2500 lb Shelby Cobra replica that was pretty damn fast. I loved the sensation of speed whenever I got into the throttle. But after two years of weekend only driving and the occansional trip to the track, even the Cobra started to feel slower.

The point is, don't buy a car simply because it's faster than the one you use to own. You'll rarely ever use the speed anyway unless you race it and as we all know....street racing is simply stupid and foolish. Buy a car because you love how it looks, feels and handles. Speed is simply a matter of money. Soul is another thing altogether.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 AM
pavster

Originally Posted by Jcolman
The speed sensation will eventually go away no matter what car you drive. I use to own a 370hp, 2500 lb Shelby Cobra replica that was pretty damn fast. I loved the sensation of speed whenever I got into the throttle. But after two years of weekend only driving and the occansional trip to the track, even the Cobra started to feel slower.
That's definitely something I can relate to. I started with a stock Miata, and over 2 years time, I was making 2.5x the power. At first, it felt incredible, but very quickly I got used to the power. Then I started wishing I was stock again but lost all the damn stock parts. Tracked it a couple of times, AutoX'd it a few seasons. Looking back, it was most fun when it was stock with some very mild mods (sways, Momo steering wheel, LSD). Yes, the CHANGE from stock to modded was fun also, but that sensation was very short-lived.

-pavel.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM
350Z007

I have gone through a few different cars and they all get old eventually. I had a 2K Civic Si with about 10K into it, a 2K2 GTi 337 with about 10K into it, a 97 GTi VR6 with a totally built head, cams, and transmission/LSD and all bolt-ons (really fun car to drive), a 2K4 Evo 8 with all bolt-ons, and now the Z. I don't think I'll be content until I get an exotic and even then........

All were fun cars, but the need for speed and power always gets the best of me.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pavster
Sometimes you just get bored with a car after some time, and there is nothing wrong with looking for something new, especially if money isn't a huge issue. Cars are appliances after all; they do get old, and they do wear out. Get the STi; play with it; if you miss the Z, get another Z.

If you want a cheap car to mod that's also a hoot to drive, look into used Miatas (if you can fit in one, that is). You can pick up a low mileage donor for next to nothing, bolt a big turbo onto it, and have 250 RWHP in a 2300lb car. I used to have one. Compared with it, the Z feels like an comfy cruiser.

Problem with STi is that parts are expensive; upgrades are expensive; repairs are expensive. Miatas cost nothing; a used tranny is $200, used block $400, and I am talking low-mileage parts. So you can beat on it, break it, and get it running again with no fuss.

Good luck with your decision; it's a fun one!
-pavel
i'd buy a miata if i were seriously into auto x and about 6 inches shorter
Old 12-13-2005, 10:24 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by Alberto
Z with bolt-ons vs STI with bolt-ons is equal, actually edge to the Z. Look Here and here to see what I mean. Keep the Z, or I will do ^^^ that to you
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by Jcolman

The point is, don't buy a car simply because it's faster than the one you use to own. You'll rarely ever use the speed anyway unless you race it and as we all know....street racing is simply stupid and foolish. Buy a car because you love how it looks, feels and handles. Speed is simply a matter of money. Soul is another thing altogether.
i know the speed sensation goes away after awhile, but i've always wanted to own a turbo car. I could keep the z and eventually go turbo with it, but that would be years into the future. I'm not even sure if i can keep my car past warrenty because of all the problems i've had with it and am continuing to have.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
350Z007

Originally Posted by EdgeOfSanity
i know the speed sensation goes away after awhile, but i've always wanted to own a turbo car. I could keep the z and eventually go turbo with it, but that would be years into the future. I'm not even sure if i can keep my car past warrenty because of all the problems i've had with it and am continuing to have.
Hey, it's your money and I'd have to say the Evo had a lot of power (about 475 crank). Very responsive to mods. Nothing like adding exhaust and getting 50hp.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:46 AM
EdgeOfSanity

i think the only way this will ever happen is if a used black w/bronze wheels sti goes on sale here. Even then i'd have to drive it and compare it to the z, i dont know if i could give up the looks, styling, and sports car feel of the z. Maybe i'll just wait till 08 for the next z.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:52 AM
PoWeRtRiP

LOL @ the comment that STI and EVO's arent sports cars cuz they have 4-doors...

seriously though, just test drive it and see what you like. i traded my z in on an evo bc i knew the z would never be the car i wanted it to be. im very happy with the evo and plan on having about 340whp for less than 3000 in mods.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
EVOL 8

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP

seriously though, just test drive it and see what you like. i traded my z in on an evo bc i knew the z would never be the car i wanted it to be. im very happy with the evo and plan on having about 340whp for less than 3000 in mods.
exactly.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 PM
ZlleH

Technically, the guy is right, here are some technical definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sports%20car
http://www.answers.com/topic/sports-car
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Sports_car
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/sports%20car
http://dict.aiedu.com/word/sports%20car
http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/sports+car
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Sports_car

With that aside, I don't pretend the 350Z is a ralley car as I expect others to understand that their car is not a sports car. It's doesn't have to be an insult. My friend in his AWD A4 Audi can do circles around my car in the rain, but he knows it isn't a sports car. Another friend in his heavily modified turbo jetta can "hang" with me but he knows it's also not a sports car. It's just... and accepted thing.

Last edited by ZlleH; 12-13-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
EdgeOfSanity

its difficult for me to get a test drive of the sti, even a used one. Every dealer i've ever been to just looks at me like im there for a joyride and doesnt give me the time of day.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
LIdrew

You drive up in a Z and they won't give you a test drive? Find another dealer.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by LIdrew
You drive up in a Z and they won't give you a test drive? Find another dealer.
been to several in colorado and one here.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:04 PM
hypeiv

its difficult for me to get a test drive of the sti, even a used one. Every dealer i've ever been to just looks at me like im there for a joyride and doesnt give me the time of day.
really even when they see you have a Z?

I was able to test drive a 05 vette when the dealer saw I was going to be trading in a Z (assuming I was actually going to buy it).

If you can find one at carmax they are normally much cooler about test drives.

edit: on a side note... I have had more trouble test driving lower end cars than I have with high end cars. I have had problems at kia (did it for a free dvd w/ test drive offer), ford and honda. No problems at porsche, benz, lexus, infiniti, corvette dealership (not a chevy lot), etc

Last edited by hypeiv; 12-13-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:10 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by hypeiv
really even when they see you have a Z?

I was able to test drive a 05 vette when the dealer saw I was going to be trading in a Z (assuming I was actually going to buy it).

If you can find one at carmax they are normally much cooler about test drives.

edit: on a side note... I have had more trouble test driving lower end cars than I have with high end cars. I have had problems at kia (did it for a free dvd w/ test drive offer), ford and honda. No problems at porsche, benz, lexus, infiniti, corvette dealership (not a chevy lot), etc
i've gone to a subaru dealer here in houston in my parents 05 bmw 645ci and they still didnt bother to even let me touch a used 05 they had. It's weird, when i went to the nissan dealer they let me into a z right away.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
hypeiv

i've gone to a subaru dealer here in houston in my parents 05 bmw 645ci and they still didnt bother to even let me touch a used 05 they had. It's weird, when i went to the nissan dealer they let me into a z right away.
try this one...

go to a dealership and park your car near the front then walk over to a STI and look in. When a sales person comes up to you tell him you have a Z and are getting bored with it and thinking about the sti. When he says that he doesn't know if you can test drive it b/c of joy rides say "ohh I totally understand that, its prolly better I don't test drive it otherwise I might end up buying it today!" and laugh. It worked like at charm at the corvette dealership.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by hypeiv
try this one...

go to a dealership and park your car near the front then walk over to a STI and look in. When a sales person comes up to you tell him you have a Z and are getting bored with it and thinking about the sti. When he says that he doesn't know if you can test drive it b/c of joy rides say "ohh I totally understand that, its prolly better I don't test drive it otherwise I might end up buying it today!" and laugh. It worked like at charm at the corvette dealership.
hahah i should try that. I think what i might do this time around is find one listed online and contact them through email. When i went to the nissan dealer i had been emailing them back and forth for 2 days.

Quick Reply: i'm seriously considering selling my z