Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 06:48 AM
03track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alberto, i've been reading alot of your posts and have tried learning how to power shift but just can't get it down....do you let off the gas a little or none at all? haven't dragged the z yet and don't wanna embarrass myself first time out....do you go to MIR?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
I live in Fallston and work in Baltimore...I can't wait to head to Cecil County in the spring. I want to see the numbers I can put down with UTEC NA. Last dyno was 265whp/249 max torque on 93 octane.
Cecil County is my favorite drag strip. I usually race Trophy class on Sunday. As you can see from the time slips above, they allow 11.X second cars in Trophy. I don’t think that its competitive to race against 3-speed automatics, but hell I don’t make the rules.

Mason Dixon (near Hagerstown) recently began a Quick-8 Import class. It’s a money class, and 99 out of 100 cars are going to be manual transmission.

Regardless of the track, it will be good to see some new 350Z racers come spring.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Shifting 101....

Originally Posted by 03track
alberto, i've been reading alot of your posts and have tried learning how to power shift but just can't get it down....do you let off the gas a little or none at all? haven't dragged the z yet and don't wanna embarrass myself first time out....do you go to MIR?
For you guys wanting shifting tips:

I dont let off the gas at all, but thats just my personal preference. I dont suggest you try messing with powershifting until you can speed shift very quickly. As far as shfiting faster, I always tell everybody this:

Everybody has fast hands, anybody can slam a shifter into the next gear. What you need to work on is timing, and leg speed, which is very important imo. When I shift I never touch the clutch to the floor, I never even go down more than 1/2 way. No need to for a smooth shift, just enough to engage the next gear. When getting on the clutch kick down very fast, and kick up(let if go) even faster! I cannot stress this enough. Most people I see kick the clutch down fast, shift fast and I see their left leg coming off the clutch slow, try to work on this. As far as timing, when I powershift, as Im approaching redline I hold my left foot above the clutch(not on it-again just personal preference) when I want to shift I kick down the clutch and go into the next gear at the same time, its 1 fluid motion of leg and arm movement. Dont shift in steps, like clutch in, next gear, clutch out. Make it 1 1/2 steps, first step being clutch in/move to next gear, and as your hitting the gate of the next gear your leg should be coming off the clutch already-thats your last 1/2 step. Work on this, practice it, and you will get better.

Only powershift if you feel comfortable, you can shift just as fast with a quick lift throttle shift or a partial lift. If your powershifting and your rpm's go up 300+rpm's when you push the clutch in, your doing it way to slow-you need to work on letting the clutch out faster. I dont go up at all in rpms in between shifts-thats where the timing comes in.

Anyways if you wanna hear what a good (again in my opinion) powershift sounds like, listen to my 1/4 vid video in my signature. Listen in between gears what it should sound like and aim for that. You cant even hear my 1-2 shift, its redline in 1st then 2nd gear chirping...Good luck

Edit-BTW a mod should sticky this ^^^ I have written this about 100X now on the boards and in PM's, if you feel like this helps you, let the mods know

Last edited by Alberto; 12-15-2005 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:55 AM
03track

thanks man.....i've pasted this onto word but the mods should definitely sticky this in the racing forum.

-fares (tryin not to lift to shift)
Old 12-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by 03track
thanks man.....i've pasted this onto word but the mods should definitely sticky this in the racing forum.

-fares (tryin not to lift to shift)
No problem, good luck practicing in this weather though. Its so cold even a b!tch shift into 2nd will get you sideways....
Old 12-15-2005, 04:37 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
For you guys wanting shifting tips:

I dont let off the gas at all, but thats just my personal preference. I dont suggest you try messing with powershifting until you can speed shift very quickly. As far as shfiting faster, I always tell everybody this:

Everybody has fast hands, anybody can slam a shifter into the next gear. What you need to work on is timing, and leg speed, which is very important imo. When I shift I never touch the clutch to the floor, I never even go down more than 1/2 way. No need to for a smooth shift, just enough to engage the next gear. When getting on the clutch kick down very fast, and kick up(let if go) even faster! I cannot stress this enough. Most people I see kick the clutch down fast, shift fast and I see their left leg coming off the clutch slow, try to work on this. As far as timing, when I powershift, as Im approaching redline I hold my left foot above the clutch(not on it-again just personal preference) when I want to shift I kick down the clutch and go into the next gear at the same time, its 1 fluid motion of leg and arm movement. Dont shift in steps, like clutch in, next gear, clutch out. Make it 1 1/2 steps, first step being clutch in/move to next gear, and as your hitting the gate of the next gear your leg should be coming off the clutch already-thats your last 1/2 step. Work on this, practice it, and you will get better.

Only powershift if you feel comfortable, you can shift just as fast with a quick lift throttle shift or a partial lift. If your powershifting and your rpm's go up 300+rpm's when you push the clutch in, your doing it way to slow-you need to work on letting the clutch out faster. I dont go up at all in rpms in between shifts-thats where the timing comes in.

Anyways if you wanna hear what a good (again in my opinion) powershift sounds like, listen to my 1/4 vid video in my signature. Listen in between gears what it should sound like and aim for that. You cant even hear my 1-2 shift, its redline in 1st then 2nd gear chirping...Good luck

Edit-BTW a mod should sticky this ^^^ I have written this about 100X now on the boards and in PM's, if you feel like this helps you, let the mods know
WOW! Very detailed. I think this should be stickied. I'm definitely trying this but waiting for spring before trying anything like that. I've become a lot better at shifting, but knew that there was too much time delay before the next shift since I'm pushing the clutch in all the way. I've tried pushing clutch in, shift fast into gear, then letting clutch come up in an instant and catching it with the accelerator right before clutch completely caught. Worked sometimes but other times felt too jerky. Second gear is still a b*tch, so don't know how it's going to go, but looking forward to practicing it. Thanks a lot for the info. bro.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

No problem, imo if you do decide to start really speeding up the shifting work your way up the gears 1-2, then 2-3 and so on. Some of my friends went from 1-2 and skipped practicing 2-3 cuz they hated that shift, and now they grab 1-2 and 3-4 good, but suck at 2-3. Take it in steps.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont let off the gas at all, but thats just my personal preference.
That would lead a person to believe you leave the gas pedal floored while shifting. It's easy to tell from your video that is not what you do since we can see/hear your leg coming off the throttle every time you shift. Besides, you would be bouncing off the rev limiter and your stock clutch wouldnt withstand that kind of abuse.

There is a proper way to shift, and then there is everything else.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by roast
That would lead a person to believe you leave the gas pedal floored while shifting. It's easy to tell from your video that is not what you do since we can see/hear your leg coming off the throttle every time you shift. Besides, you would be bouncing off the rev limiter and your stock clutch wouldnt withstand that kind of abuse.

There is a proper way to shift, and then there is everything else.
Somebody already asked me if I lifted. I have very long legs and arms, and when I shift I bounce around alot as you can see. My upper leg (knee) moves but I assure you I am not lifting off the throttle. And your hard of hearing if you think you can hear me lift between shifts, its one gear to the next. And no you wouldnt be bouncing rev limiter if you do it correct and fast, so dont insult my driving. And BTW 53K miles of driving like this on stock clutch and it still grabs like it is new. Still deny me? Ill take another video of my shifting with absolutely no movement of my right leg....people on this board have ridden with me when I drove like this, many people know me and my driving, its legit.

Edit-BTW to prove I dont lift, I have noticed my left foot got lazy getting off the clutch in my 1/4 mile vid-the one where you see/hear my car from the outside. On my first run listen to the 3-4 shift, its laazzzyyyy, you can hear me jump some revs, that proves Im not lifting, and that I was slacking on that run

Last edited by Alberto; 12-15-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My upper leg (knee) moves but I assure you I am not lifting off the throttle.
Isn't your knee bone connected to your foot bone? How exactly does one lift their knee without lifting their foot? I'm confused.

And your hard of hearing if you think you can hear me lift between shifts, its one gear to the next.
I can hear just fine. I can also hear that the throttle isn't being pegged between shifts. If you were to leave the throttle floored while depressing the clutch at redline you would sure as hell bounce off the revlimiter.

And no you wouldnt be bouncing rev limiter if you do it correct and fast
What does doing it fast have to do with anything? You've really got to explain this better. When shifting from redline, how exactly do you continue to give WOT with the clutch depressed and NOT bounce the limiter? I'm perplexed.

so dont insult my driving.
Calm down there cowboy. I wasn't insulting your driving or else I would have said "your driving sucks". Your attitude sucks. What do you think about that?

And BTW 53K miles of driving like this on stock clutch and it still grabs like it is new. Still deny me? Ill take another video of my shifting with absolutely no movement of my right leg....people on thi sboard has riffen with me when I drve like this, many people know me and my driving, its legit.
If thats really how you shift gears, then that explains why you would get so worked up about it over the internet.... (I won't say why and violate the TOS, you can use your imagination).

Getting down a drag strip is not even one-fifth of driving.

See you in the real world, cowboy.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Z_Driver
Master

When I speed shift. I plant the gas pedal on the floor after I gain traction in first. Then I pull the shifter as I push on the clutch. At the bottom I let off the clutch by siding my foot off to the side. It pop back on it's own quicker than I can return it to the engaged position. I have added a spring to make sure it comes back fast with additional rubber bumper to save the linkage up on top.

Then the only thing I need to do is get my foot back up on top of the pedal for the next speed shift.

I make sure to tuck in my shoelaces to that they don't catch the pedals as I work them as well.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by roast
Isn't your knee bone connected to your foot bone? How exactly does one lift their knee without lifting their foot? I'm confused.

I can hear just fine. I can also hear that the throttle isn't being pegged between shifts. If you were to leave the throttle floored while depressing the clutch at redline you would sure as hell bounce off the revlimiter.
These are the only 2 comments Im answering then Im done with you. You spewing off on this topic when you obviously have no idea how to do this correctly or believe that it can be done proves your knowledge on the subject is less than ideal to be arguing with me about this.

In regards to the first one, Its very simple, but your obviously having trouble understanding this. Sit in a chair, put your right foot against a wall to simulate your on the gas pedal, not flat footed but only your toes like I do in my car. Now your telling me you cant maintain pressure with your toes and not move your knees up and down back and forth? If not you have a physical disability. Since when can you not move your knee if the toes on your feet are applying pressure

You are basically doubting that anybody can powershift with your closed minded thinking. Even if your WOT @ redline, if you time your shifting right, and you are fast, you will not jump rpm's and hit limiter. Im assuming you may have tried this and that is what happened, you only need to work on your leg speed and timing. If you still doubt that anybody can powershift-meaning staying WOT during a shift at redline and not bounce limiter go into the racing section and do some research....and btw you were completely proven wrong by that lazy shift I pointed out. If you didnt hear that then you really are hard of hearing....

Last edited by Alberto; 12-16-2005 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by davidv
Cecil County is my favorite drag strip. I usually race Trophy class on Sunday. As you can see from the time slips above, they allow 11.X second cars in Trophy. I don’t think that its competitive to race against 3-speed automatics, but hell I don’t make the rules.

Mason Dixon (near Hagerstown) recently began a Quick-8 Import class. It’s a money class, and 99 out of 100 cars are going to be manual transmission.

Regardless of the track, it will be good to see some new 350Z racers come spring.
I'll definitely be there. I look forward to meeting you all.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
These are the only 2 comments Im answering then Im done with you. You spewing off on this topic when you obviously have no idea how to do this correctly or believe that it can be done proves your knowledge on the subject is less than ideal to be arguing with me about this.

In regards to the first one, Its very simple, but your obviously having trouble understanding this. Sit in a chair, put your right foot against a wall to simulate your on the gas pedal, not flat footed but only your toes like I do in my car. Now your telling me you cant maintain pressure with your toes and not move your knees up and down back and forth? If not you have a physical disability. Since when can you not move your knee if the toes on your feet are applying pressure

You are basically doubting that anybody can powershift with your closed minded thinking. Even if your WOT @ redline, if you time your shifting right, and you are fast, you will not jump rpm's and hit limiter. Im assuming you may have tried this and that is what happened, you only need to work on your leg speed and timing. If you still doubt that anybody can powershift-meaning staying WOT during a shift at redline and not bounce limiter go into the racing section and do some research....and btw you were completely proven wrong by that lazy shift I pointed out. If you didnt hear that then you really are hard of hearing....
I'm with Alberto on this one. Even though I haven't redlined doing this. I've done something similar the other day and the shift was quick even though it was only one transition from gear to gear.