Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Key Problems Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 PM
ga123z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Problems Please Help

I have an 03 350z touring with 40,000 miles on it as of today.I bought it used at 36,000 and have had no problems.The car came with 3 keys,two black and the valet red key.One day i was moving it around and grabbed the spare black key and found it would not start the car,only turn it over,the valet key did the same.I read in the manual about keeping them apart from each other which i did,i also tried the switch on and off method as listed in the manual.I took it to the dealer today and was gonna get them programmed,i could see into the garage area and i could tell they were having problems,30 minutes later the svc manager asks if i have done anything to the ecu,i say no which as far as i know nothing has been done.They continue working on it for another 30 minutes and finally he tells me they cant do it that my car will not let them progam the other keys and hes afraid they will mess up my single good one if they keep trying.Im sorry for the lengthy post but i waas hoping that someone could lead me in the right direction.This site is a great site and i have learned alot about the 350z due to all the folks here.Thanks
Old 12-26-2005, 06:49 PM
ga123z

anyone know of a good dealer in the atlanta area???It looks like im gonna have to take it in.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:04 PM
FatBoy1

Maybe post this on importatlanta.com?? Sorry I can't help.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:07 PM
highside107

post this in the regional forums on this site
Old 12-27-2005, 12:01 AM
rmesola

only thing that makes sense, is that somebody reprogrammed the keys in the past and only had one set programmed (didn't have the other 2 with them at the same time)...

try another dealer... or an expert locksmith
Old 12-27-2005, 05:12 PM
ga123z

Took the car to another dealer and they programmed all keys with no problem.The original dealer wanted me to leave the car so they could"diagnose" my problem.This is why i hate going to the dealer and wont go unless i have to.I hope this might help someone else if they try to get scammed,its better to get a second opinion.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 PM
potator

So your problem is all fixed now? And can you expand a little bit more on the part where you said the manual tells you to keep the keys apart from one another? I've read the manual, but have found no such information. I have an 05 standard model, which might make a difference.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:58 PM
ga123z

Yes, all my keys work now,(problem solved) all they needed were reprogrammed,there was no problem with the car like the first dealer told me.My 03 manual says in section 2-17 that ''if the engine fails to start using the registered nissan immobilizer system key it may be due to inteference caused by another nissan vehicle immobilizer system key or an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the keyring''it goes on to say that if the problem persists to keep the keys apart from each other.After all the trouble with this on my car im not gonna see if i can interefere with the keys but i believe 2 on the same ring could cause an interference,maybe someone more knowledgable than me knows but reading in the book thats what i made it out to be.Hope this helps,as for keys from different cars(touring,base, etc) i have no idea if they are the same.Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:10 PM
potator

Originally Posted by ga123z
Yes, all my keys work now,(problem solved) all they needed were reprogrammed,there was no problem with the car like the first dealer told me.My 03 manual says in section 2-17 that ''if the engine fails to start using the registered nissan immobilizer system key it may be due to inteference caused by another nissan vehicle immobilizer system key or an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the keyring''it goes on to say that if the problem persists to keep the keys apart from each other.After all the trouble with this on my car im not gonna see if i can interefere with the keys but i believe 2 on the same ring could cause an interference,maybe someone more knowledgable than me knows but reading in the book thats what i made it out to be.Hope this helps,as for keys from different cars(touring,base, etc) i have no idea if they are the same.Hope this helps.
Wow, I didn't know that. So how far away should I store my extra keys apart? And does this rule apply to all keys with built in immobilizer chip systems? Because my family members probably keep all their extra keys together I think.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:30 PM
ohw

I don't think the manual meant for us to keep the keys for the same car apart. The way I interpret this is if you have multiple Nissan cars, say a Maxima and a Z, and all the keys are on the same key ring, you may have a problem with your Maxima key interferes with your Z starting.