Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlvvega
do heel & toe every time you down SHIFT is good exercise and saves your trany as you sound cool!
sounds AWESOME!

I heel toe perfectly in my car
i dont know what the hold up is and i dont have size 15 feet
Old 12-29-2005, 02:08 AM
MovingViolation

Only when I'm not granny shifting and double clutching like I should. 'I never narked on nobody!!!'
Old 12-29-2005, 03:55 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by HokieZ
I don't do much, some, but not a lot, heel/toe but do blip the throttle on ALL downshifts.
This is all you NEED to do...
If you drive hard enough ALL the time to NEED to use H/T then I feel SO sorry for your poor Z...
H/T should be used during hard driving only!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:05 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by Mr.Jadkowski
Are you trying to heel and toe with an automatic transmission or something? No reason that would wear on your brake pads, unless you're jabbing the brakes when you do it or something to that effect.
lol
Do ya'll know what H/T is? While you slow down (BRAKE) you apply enough gas (GAS PEDAL) to keep engine speed/rpms where they need to be.
This is for HARD turning ONLY!!!

And I'm not sure if the statement above (double clutching) was a joke or not
but Double Clutching is when you don't have synchos. You have to push the clutch in, then put tranny in neutral, then release clutch, then push in clutch again to put in gear, then then release clutch. Only truck drivers and older cars have to deal with this... I wish Vin never said that in that movie.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tattude
lol
Do ya'll know what H/T is? While you slow down (BRAKE) you apply enough gas (GAS PEDAL) to keep engine speed/rpms where they need to be.
This is for HARD turning ONLY!!!

And I'm not sure if the statement above (double clutching) was a joke or not
but Double Clutching is when you don't have synchos. You have to push the clutch in, then put tranny in neutral, then release clutch, then push in clutch again to put in gear, then then release clutch. Only truck drivers and older cars have to deal with this... I wish Vin never said that in that movie.
Gas is only applied when the clutch is depressed and should barely affect the car's attitude. If you hit the gaz while the engine is still driving the wheels, your in for a jerky run !

Double clutching is still usefull. It's not "necessary" but will make downshifting easier on the tranny (say a shift from fifth to second). A good skill to master.

What's the point of buying a sport car if you're affraid of wearing the brakes ? Buy a AT instead (brakes will still wear fast, the tranny is always pushing a bit + brake judder is more common on those)...
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Tattude

When hard braking use of the clutch is a given. Didn't think I had to mention that?

Double Clutching is USELESS in these cars!!! No matter how you look at it. Down shifting from 5th to 2nd would only need to be done on a track. Going from 100mph to 30-40mph is something that needs to happen VERY quickly. This usually means coming up on a hard turn which means H/T would actually come into play. Double clutching takes WAY too much time no matter how good you are at it.

Point of buying a sports car is for the fun factor... Fun, like everything in life, needs to be taken in doses. NO need to drive it like you stole it 24/7.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 AM
Havok_RLS2

Use it all the time... It's almost second nature.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Tattude

Why?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

Habit? Fun? It's not like it's beating on the car. You can heel and toe under light braking as well. I usually don't drive my car hard unless I'm out on an autocross course, but I still do it all the time. Besides, you say heel and toe wears the brakes? I disagree, but under that line of thinking, normal downshifting wears on the clutch (accelerating the engine on every downshift). Which is more expensive to replace?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Tattude
Why?
For trainning purposes of course ! Being smooth at it does not come magically... Training is the only way...

Double clutching is not that much slower. And it's a hell of a lot faster than a missed shift from a slow synchro ! Not to mention the complete unbalance of that happenning while trailbraking... Of course, you would have to have actually been on a race track to realize that...

What next? Trailbraking is dangerous and unecessary also?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

TRAILBRAKING?! That'll wear down your brake pads so fast, your whole car will explode!! Plus it puts unnecessary wear on your front tires because of the weight transfer.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Fletch69z

In daily driving I generally just match revs and then brake...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Kolia

TRAILBRAKING?! That'll wear down your brake pads so fast, your whole car will explode!! Plus it puts unnecessary wear on your front tires because of the weight transfer.
Mouwahaha LOL
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Kolia
Mouwahaha LOL
i dont think i had a single clue what u gentlemen were talking about...
and i would like to expand my puny knowledge base and would greatly appreciate for some explanations
Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

Trailbraking is braking deeper into a corner than you normally would. Braking shifts weight to the front, increasing the grip of the front tires, which combats understeer. Normally, you (I) would accomplish your braking before your turn-in point. But if the car has a tendency to understeer, you may have to slow down excessively before turning in to hit your apex. Hence, trailbraking. By braking later and then into the corner, you're grabbing a split second at the end of the straight, and then by balancing the car with braking, making the most of your available grip to the turn to maintain as much speed as possible.

It's a good technique to use for very slow corners (autocross course) where understeer becomes a major problem. On the other hand, it's easy to brake excessively and exceed the capability of your front tires. Then you'll REALLY be plowing! I've blown right through quite a few corners because of that very mistake.

Come on J, it's not rocket surgery!!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

Oh, by the way, if you really want a lot more information, check out the book "Secrets of Solo Racing", you can find it in borders in the transportation section. Pretty good explaination of most common driving techniques. Then you'll be able to decode all the jargon.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
In daily driving I generally just match revs and then brake...
Exactly... Me too...
That's because it's the best way to drive your car in day to day operations.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Tattude

Now the track is a different story...
Old 12-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Oh, by the way, if you really want a lot more information, check out the book "Secrets of Solo Racing", you can find it in borders in the transportation section. Pretty good explaination of most common driving techniques. Then you'll be able to decode all the jargon.
Eh...
Reading a book about driving is just as bad as reading a book about how to have sex...
hands on experience is crucial
Old 12-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

yeah, but you gotta start somewhere. Imagine trying to have sex if you didn't know to insert tab A into slot B?

Quick Reply: Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving