Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Tattude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Jadkowski
yeah, but you gotta start somewhere. Imagine trying to have sex if you didn't know to insert tab A into slot B?
Did you read a book before learning everything you know?
Didn't think so...
Experience is the number one way to learn.
H/T is a great way to down shift into corner but not coming to a stop light or turning into your housing area. I know some of ya'll say you do it everyday and to each there own. I just disagree
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tattude
Did you read a book before learning everything you know?
Didn't think so...
Experience is the number one way to learn.
H/T is a great way to down shift into corner but not coming to a stop light or turning into your housing area. I know some of ya'll say you do it everyday and to each there own. I just disagree
H/T doesn't mean driving ***** out all the time. It can be done within legal speed limits.

Reading about proper driving technique is very usefull. Reading about different driving techniques is even better. You can then learn and exchange with other educated drivers. Anybody who thinks he can do without is doomed to eventually stagnate and be lapped...

Practice is good,
Practice with a plan is much better.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:54 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is a link to a pretty good article on heel and toe downshifting.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html

Les
Old 12-29-2005, 10:25 PM
FatBoy1

This mod increases your 0-60 and throttle response! Great for heel/toe! A must have for any serious Heel Toeing Z Driving you know what..........

http://www.piloti.com/products/
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
JunJTan

yes, shoes is an important factor to your heel and toe.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all the time. I always change into my driving shoes and put my dress shoes on the passenger seat floor.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:11 PM
MovingViolation

Only when I'm granny shifting, not double clutching like I should. I swear to god people use the internet to ask some of the DUMBEST questions I have ever heard!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Z_Driver
Master

After you have done some spirited driving in the mountains or on a road race course it almost comes naturally. At least, it did to me. But, you have to have a car where the pedal are close enough together to make it work really good or it's a mess.

I mean I couldn't H/T my '71 Dodge Power Wagon. But, then again you would just power slide/4W drift that sucker around a turn looking for the dig.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 12-29-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:31 AM
uwaeve

After learning to heel-and-toe on the street and then going to a few track days, my recommendation is this:

If you want to have the skill for threshold braking, you have to practice it under those conditions. I didn't realize this at first. I went and learned how to do it on the street, never more than maybe 30% braking. I though I was getting good at it.

Fast forward to the track. I'm standing on the brake pedal, and since I'm not used to the extra travel required, the side of my foot is depressing the gas pedal WAY too far. This gets worse if your pedal softens AT ALL during the session.

Long story short, I had to unlearn how to do it and learn again. I've pretty much given in to having to run through pads/rotors to even practice, and never with anyone around (dangerous to stomp the brakes in traffic).

I restrict my practice sessions to a nice straight 2-lane highway near my house. About 15 miles of 65 mph zones, no one ever there.

You also need to consider that you will even want to practice at speed. For instance, most of the downshifts I need are in the range of going from 5th to 4th (~125 down to 70 mph) or 4th to 3rd in some of the slower corners.

On my practice runs, I generally go up to like 75 mph, and slow the car down enough to have a rev-match similary to the ones mentioned above. To me, this feels a hell of a lot different than the real deal.

uwaeve
Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by uwaeve
After learning to heel-and-toe on the street and then going to a few track days, my recommendation is this:

If you want to have the skill for threshold braking, you have to practice it under those conditions. I didn't realize this at first. I went and learned how to do it on the street, never more than maybe 30% braking. I though I was getting good at it.

Fast forward to the track. I'm standing on the brake pedal, and since I'm not used to the extra travel required, the side of my foot is depressing the gas pedal WAY too far. This gets worse if your pedal softens AT ALL during the session.
I'm sure even your "slow speed" H/T trainning helped. You knew what to expect, you even managed to identify what to problem was (more brake pedal travel than expected leading to over revving the engine). Your feet knew where to go and what to do. You didn't need to think about that as much and could concentrate on other stuff happenning at the same time. Like a not-so stable car comming in faster than expected and not quite in the correct gear...

Track driving is a constant learning experience. As your speed and confidance increases, the dynamics of the car changes. There is no way we can tackle all aspects of the drive at once. We just don't have enough "brain resources" to do it. This is where "slow speed" trainning helps. Going thru the movements in a relaxed environnement will program your body into doing it at a subconscious level. Later on the track, you can do the conscious adjustement necessary to match the car's speed instead of learning how you should put your feet right from scratches.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i double clutch/heel toe my G35c all the time. no matter how casual the driving is. sometimes i would be cruising in 6th, brake, double clutch/heel toe into 3rd. this is during the a routine easy 90deg turn into the neighborhood. i need to keep my skills by going thru single gears instead of skipping. i usually do this in more spirited driving. i've become quite lazy by skipping gears. my younger sis was driving me in her WRX the other day. she went from 5th to 2nd. i asked her if she started learning heel and toe instead of just match revving and she told me "those were all heel and toe." i was completely surprised at the speed and smoothness of her downshifts: 5,4,3,2 vroom vroom vroom. she had been learning this whole time that the next time i saw her it was seemless. you gotta keep your skills up and don't be lazy! don't coast through turns! p.s. i still believe double clutching saves the tranny by putting less stress on the syncros. if you double clutch properly and the revs match exactly, the lever goes into gear slot with no resistance.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 AM
uwaeve

Kolia,

I fully agree that the practice helped. I also agree with the "mental capacity" theory. I did minimize the brainpower that H/T took under fire. I'm not saying "don't even try..." Just sharing my experience.

Partially poking fun at myself because I never really tried it under threshold braking (with a changing pedal) before my first track day.

In the further interest of poking fun at myself, if anyone's interested I can post in-car of me snatching second instead of fourth into the bus stop at the Glen. Did I destroy my motor? Tune in next week. Or just ask.

uwaeve
Old 01-02-2006, 09:20 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JunJTan
does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving

Does anyone go to the store for cigarettes in a nomex suit?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:23 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by davidv

Does anyone go to the store for cigarettes in a nomex suit?
The king of weird pics and one-liners strikes again...What's your post count now?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by kcobean
The king of weird pics and one-liners strikes again...What's your post count now?
lol
Putting on that suit would probably be like 15 minutes
It would be awesome to look like the Stig going out to buy a pack of cigs
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow very very disturbing.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:52 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by uwaeve
In the further interest of poking fun at myself, if anyone's interested I can post in-car of me snatching second instead of fourth into the bus stop at the Glen. Did I destroy my motor? Tune in next week. Or just ask.

uwaeve
That would be fun !

I could pitch in with my own in-car video named "I think I can drift too, it looks sooo easy"...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 AM
skycaptain320

Hi all,

I heel & toe with GT5 prologue, no probleme but with my 350z the gaz pedal is too deep inside, 10 to 15 mm away. Do you know if the gaz pedal and the brake pedal can be adjusted to come closer from each other? to heel and toe properly for a standard size feet what is the correct setting? Thank you & drive safely.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:29 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...gas-pedal.html
Old 08-04-2010, 05:50 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ get that to improve your heel toe skills

Quick Reply: Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving