Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Canadian Buying car in US Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
MONEYHOUSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Buying car in US Question

Hey guys, anyone ever buy a car and ship it across the border (into Ontario in my case)? i was wondering if there were any duties/taxes/certifications you would need or have to have/get in order to do this. Ive seen awsome deals on Zs in our classified section, and Im leaning toward this kind of purchase when I get my Z in the spring.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
cessna

Taxes and duties to be paid at the border, she'll have to sit there for a few days (by protocol).... Then she'll need to be inspected, to be registered in Ontario.

Your looking at about 6K in duties for a 19,000$US car btw
Old 01-10-2006, 12:38 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by G35 6MT
Plus I believe that it has to be brought up to Canada safety specs which include Daytime running lights, speedometer changeover to Kilometers, and a emissions certification and possible emissions check. Plus lets not forget the mandatory inspection at Canadian Tire. The only federally approved out of country inspection depot.

That from what I remember and would conclude to be correct but I reserve the right to be wrong and corrected

I'm in the same situation as yourself and am beginning to explore the possibility of bringing a modded roadster from the USA to Canada.

We should compare notes?
You got it right, except for the speedo part, that can stay in MPH....
My buddy Travis does this for a living, (Not the same guy, I was speaking to you about MONEYHOUSE)...
He usually finds good deals in the US, flatbeds them to the border (Cornwall ONT) has his own car/truck storage lot there, where he leaves them for the required amount of time, and then drives them back up to Ottawa.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
LugZ

what would happen if you drove it back with Canadian plates on it to make it seem like you were just in the country on visit? Of course, plates being legal because vin was taken some weeks prior to pick up and plates purchased.

I'm sure there would be a problem somewhere later down the road..but anyone know for sure?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:34 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by LugZ
what would happen if you drove it back with Canadian plates on it to make it seem like you were just in the country on visit? Of course, plates being legal because vin was taken some weeks prior to pick up and plates purchased.

I'm sure there would be a problem somewhere later down the road..but anyone know for sure?

You'd get caught,.... for sure.... DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT
Old 01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
MONEYHOUSE

Cool, thanks guys, seems like alot of hastles/time. Im just exploring all my options right now,so Im ready to buy when I can.

cessna, you know alot of friends in the car business, I wish i was as lucky lol.

Thanks again
Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 AM
cessna

LOL ..... major fines and maybe you might get the car back one year

Definite impound and fines in all seriousness. Not worth it IMO

They will impound the car, and sell it at auction..... Happend with a buddy of mine..... He never saw his truck again
Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 AM
cessna

Just to add a bit to the confusion.

Each year of car is pro-rated on import duty taxes on make, year, country of origin and availablity in Canada.

Cessna: Any chance of finding out where the federal goverment automotive import information can be found? (looking for a short cut )

Thanks in advance

www.transportcanada.ca
Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 AM
oldsnail

I just imported mine.. shouldn't be too hard to import, but it is... due to how RIV is monopoly on this section and how slow/mislead they are..
as for federal inspection, and DRL, read this
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=canadian+tire

and think twice before bringing it to Canadian Tire...
well, for federal inspection, you have no choice but, never leave your car out of your sight..

p.s. HID light, as I confirmed with 4 different Canadian Tire mechanics, they can't do it(couple said they could, but changed their word when I brought the car, they say it's too complicated... half of their employee is highschool dropout without mechanics certificate anyway...) plus I found some local performance shop that does it better for cheaper price..