2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hood Corrosion!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
mytherapy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Corrosion!

Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 w/ 24k miles and recently discovered a bubble on the leading edge of the hood. I popped the hood and found 5 separate half-inch diameter bubbles of corrosion between the hood and the rubber gasket, just under the front edge. I was able to scrape the paint off with my fingernail to reveal the corrosion.

I've taken my car into Courtesy Nissan here in Tampa and initially the Technical Advisor told me that it was impossible for the hood to be corroded because it was made of fiberglass! No sh*t - and once he realized it was in fact aluminum, he said that Nissan would only take action if the corrosion was on a finished surface. He went on to say that the entire bottom of the hood could completely rust and that as long as it wasn't visible or on a finished surface, Nissan wouldn't do anything about it! Only because the paint was bubbling on the very front of the hood did he finally agree to take some pics and send them in to Nissan NA for approval. At the time, one of the actual Service Techs in the shop said they would more than likely replace the hood since the corrosion would come back.

Fast forward a month - I called BOB the other day to see what was taking so long and he tells me Nissan is only willing to repair the corrosion, regardless of the likelihood it will come back.

I'm just curious if I have any grounds to escalate this issue or just deal with Nissan's poor service? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very interesting. This is the second time I have heard of corrosion. The other was the area under the hatch where the top of the hatch meets the roof. Best of luck. Keep us informed.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:46 PM
cessna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Nissan offer the same 7 year, unlimited mileage corrosion warranty as Infiniti does???

My G sedan's (03') 4 doors have been changed, and the complete hood as well under the ""corrosion warranty"....
You see rust, they change it, no questions asked.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn it. I love my car, in fact I would dare say I have an emotional bond with it. but if it starts rusting on me and nissan tells me tough ****, I'm gonna have to consider parting ways with her.