Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a z

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
pexcellence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a z

I have read many post here. I am thinking of getting a used track or a touring model, 2004-2005. Are there any major problem with these car, ie, engine, transmission, electrical, etc.

What model would you guys recommend? I want a model that handles well in the corners. Is there much difference in the handling between the different coupe models. I am aware that the track version has a viscous limited differential, brembo brakes, and better shock/spring.

P.S. I live near a race track which host many DE and SCCA events.

John
Old 01-19-2006, 02:20 PM
ShaunC410

When I turn like 19 or something like that I definatley plan on getting a 03 or 04 Z. I might like a differant car by then, but thats what I would get right now. Anyways I would get a track model if I were you. There probally better at handeling around corners....Im not to sure though. Hopefully someone else w/ more Z knowledge can help you out, good luck man hope you get a Z
Old 01-19-2006, 03:31 PM
damnnit

Hey there,
Well I drive a Z daily but I don't do any tracking, just spirited runs. I drive the 04 enthusiast model and it drives pretty well. You MAY be looking at some drivetrain/clutch problems with these cars. If you have read many threads you will have noticed that some cars have them some dont, its all about luck. My car drives well but it also has check engine soon, TCS off, SLIP on at all times, guess I need to visit the dealer when I have time. If you go used, you better get one with warranty. Nissan seems to warrant only whenever they are feeling nice. First they tried to charge me $1k for a clutch but after having my car at nissan for a month and complaining, they finally warranteed it.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:40 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

dont think!! Just buy the Z! hehe

Ur going to love the car the way i love mine!

Good luck!....
Old 01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any model from the Enthuiast on what should fill your needs. Go to Nissan site to learn about different models.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

enthusiast + left over money for wheels + mods = teh w1n!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:48 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check Consumer Reports for the latest reliability data.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Fletch69z

Go for it! Give Nissan more reason to keep making great cars! The more that sell the better!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Ztalker

Just do it....Nissan is the "ONE".
Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
mahont

I love my Z to death ... it's a great car. Except for the fact that it eats oil like a motherfu**er.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by mahont
I love my Z to death ... it's a great car. Except for the fact that it eats oil like a motherfu**er.
the only time i add oil to my 03 is during oil change every 3500 miles.... the dipstick was about 1/2 quart low.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Dubai

HEY, you're in a Z forum, everyone will say get a Z!! you have to make up your own mind. for me I love my Z but I still might be biased
Old 01-20-2006, 03:59 AM
EDDBOY1

The biggest thing is just make SURE you look at EVERYTHING before you buy. Every factor from handling, to styling to accelration, HP, torque, servicing costs and the list goes on. Ask yourself what you want from the car. What your priorities are.

I traded my '03 Z Touring edition for an '02 Honda S2000 a few months ago. The S2K handles FAR better than the Z does. Particularly around bends and in traffic. The Z does have a bit more power, but the S redlines at 9,000 rpms, which enables you to get more out of every gear. I'm not trying to sway you towards an S2000, but when I owned my Z, I once decided to go out and test drive all of the sport compact's that were in the same class; The STI, EVO, S2K and a couple of others. I ended up driving the Z while wanting the S2K.

If you're all about the Z, go for it, it is a BEAUTIFUL car but just make sure that's what you want. We all know how rough it is trading in later and rolling over that negative equity!

Good luck.

P.S. I am still considering getting another Z, myself. I miss the HP and styling but if I do, I'll be trading the wife's car for it, not the S!!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:28 AM
manofsteele2003

I got a 04.5 Track for sale with 4000 miles on it. Too bad your in Texas, but you could have it shipped.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 AM
buho62

I'd buy a Sentra and add a Turbonator, and cut off the springs to make it lower, and I'd be set for the track!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:17 AM
rolling

Originally Posted by buho62
I'd buy a Sentra and add a Turbonator, and cut off the springs to make it lower, and I'd be set for the track!

yes what he said!!!!

but seriously, the 06 Z all have same suspention/ handeling

no major probs w/ my older 350's either

i never drove s2k im afriad ill like it LOL and i dont want convertable w/o a garage arround here
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM
pexcellence

Default comparing different sports car

I am comparing different models. I currently own a '72 Porsche 911. Great car, but not practical. No A/C in Texas heat. Poor heating. Great handling car and can rev to redline all day without any problem. Very jarring ride.

I look at used Boxster S, great car, but rear main seal problem, a 10K fix if unlucky.

Honda S2000, also great car, some have transmission problem, like Acura TL's. Would prefer a coupe.

BMW 3 series, everyone has one here where I live. Subframe problem. I see less Z.

Older Porsche 911's (993's), last of the air cooled engine, very expensive to maintain, valve guide problem (a potential 5k to rebuild), but hold its value.

Wait a few year for a used Lotus Elise with a Toyota Celica engine (these are great durable engine).

And newer 350z with warranty. G35 is in consideration.

Just thinking out loud.

John
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Zuper-Fazt

I am buying a car in 8 weeks. Originally I was dead-set on getting an E36 M3, but I decided I need a warrantee untill I get outta college, so I needed to pick a newer car.
My first thoughts were: 350Z, RX8, S2000, Mustang GT, EVO
I then rulled out the EVO due to insurance.
I then rulled out the Mustang after looking out my window and seeing 6 parked in 1 row of parking blocks.

I have driven the S2000, and I can say although it is a very quick and nimble car, im not a fan of the high revs. In a city like miami, you need better power lower in the RPM band. It forces you to drive the car harder, and I would think stress out the drivetrain and transmission faster. That gets it off my list.

The RX8 is not nearlly as fast as the Z or S2K, but it handles well, and the power delivery is smooth due to the rotary enigine. Again though, it has a 9K redline, and for that redline it only puts out 130WHP or so. Its strongest selling points are the nice interior, its a 4 seater, and the insurance is cheap.

Now comes the Z... I havent driven it yet, but I will soon. I have a feeling its gunna win me over, but we'll have to see. If it doesnt exactly suit my taste, I may just go with the RX8 and save for mods...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Ztalker

The RX8 is not nearlly as fast as the Z or S2K, but it handles well, and the power delivery is smooth due to the rotary enigine. Again though, it has a 9K redline, and for that redline it only puts out 130WHP or so. Its strongest selling points are the nice interior, its a 4 seater, and the insurance is cheap.

Now comes the Z... I havent driven it yet, but I will soon. I have a feeling its gunna win me over, but we'll have to see. If it doesnt exactly suit my taste, I may just go with the RX8 and save for mods...[/QUOTE]

Someone on another thread just mentioned that his RX8 used one quart of oil every 700 miles and its gas mileage was only 14 on the highway and he sold it after six months.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:12 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by Ztalker

Now comes the Z... I havent driven it yet, but I will soon. I have a feeling its gunna win me over, but we'll have to see. If it doesnt exactly suit my taste, I may just go with the RX8 and save for mods...

Someone on another thread just mentioned that his RX8 used one quart of oil every 700 miles and its gas mileage was only 14 on the highway and he sold it after six months.
I considered an RX-8 before I bought the 350Z. Especially since I owned an RX-7 for ten years and loved it. Also considered a BMW Z4. But after driving the Z, there was just nothing else that came close to the experience for the money (a poor man's Porsche 911). Lots of torque compared to the Mazda or the Honda S2K.

Yes, rotary engine cars BURN OIL. It's part of their design. On the RX-7, oil was actually injected into the engine. If you want to own one, you accept this and deal with it. I always carried an extra quart of oil in the car. They also don't get good gas mileage. The design is totally different. But it has great specific horsepower (hp/liter). The engines are also very light and small, which is great for handling.

If Mazda had come out with a REAL RX-8, something better than the last generation RX-7 (something like a 3 or 4 rotor motor or 3-rotor turbo like they had in Japan), then I would probably be driving one of those instead of the Z.

I'm not big on open top cars, and the Honda is too small for me (not much bigger than a Miata, which I can't fit in - too tall). I fit in the Z - barely. And I wanted a real sports car, not a 4-dr sedan (which is why I didn't want an EVO or STi). The Z was really the only choice.

Last edited by knight_white99; 01-20-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a z