Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lowest Dyno Numbers Yet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
ganz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lowest Dyno Numbers Yet...

Ok folks, just got back from the "The Dyno Shop" in Santee (CA). They had a couple Dyno-Dynamics and one Dyno-Jet. The group I went with was from altimas.net. Everybody ran on the Dyno Dynamics machine.

So here is the lowdown: 207 HP and 208 ft-lb torque. 5th gear, VDC off. 4300 miles on the odo.

Yes, you read that right 207 and not 270.

I'm not sure if it was the dyno or my car. I was expecting at least 225-235. Mr B brought his Solara which was dyno'd 2 weeks ago at 275 HP on a Dynojet and today, on the same Dyno Dynamics that dynoed my Z it got 249 HP. A stock looking 02 Maxima got 196.

We (Mr B and I) speculate the following causes for the low numbers...

1) It was not a Dynojet. Anyone know the accuracy or reliability of Dynodynamics?
2) There was no fan placed in front of the car to simulate "speed".
3) The techs had a hard time finding the tachs on most of the cars. (example, 30 mins to find the tach on a Jetta). Not sure if that would be cause for such a low number.

Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you had some input on what might be the possible causes. Is it my car or the dyno? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:19 PM
2003z

Just going on the Solora's loss between dynos, I would say its the dyno and not your car.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:14 PM
350zSpeedRacer

From what you're saying, it really sounds like these people didn't know what they were doing. At the very least, there had to have been something wrong with that dyno.

I'd check out another shop and compare. That hp just doesn't add up.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Aloharacing

Originally posted by VQracer
From what I just read, it's probably the dyno or the people operating the dyno.

True, Ganz...it was located in Santee, ya know...

I wouldn't sweat it. If the Solara was up to its mark, then I would worry.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:02 PM
nissan350zparts

are they making corrections for air temp and density?
Old 01-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Mr B

It was a sad day for both of us...

It's ok though since we got to see two powerful machines pull up. While we were about to dyno our cars, a 97 Viper GTS and an old Chevy Nova SS pulled into the facility to dyno their vehicles. The Viper had a few goodies and was hoping for 400 at the wheels and the Nova said he had around 850+ hp at the crank. I think the blower on that thing was probably as big as one of the Altima owner's engine! Was nice.

Anyway, I'm going to try to set up a date at R&D Dyno in Gardena, CA to see what real power Ganz is getting. Maybe I can find enough people to get a discount. Anyone interested?
Old 01-19-2003, 07:17 PM
ganz

Originally posted by Aloharacing
True, Ganz...it was located in Santee, ya know...
Ha! Pretty good aloha - Anyway, I think I will do a dyno again at a reputable place (or at least on a dynojet). I'm actually in LA right now to get my clear bra fixed from Edre due to a nick that is similar to the one you got on your hood. I think that the film is rated for perpendicular impacts only and that objects that strike at an angle (like where the hood is), will tear the film. I hope 3M addresses this as it is actually not something that they will warrantee. I apologize for the OT subject matter.

nissanparts - I don't think there were corrections on the dyno, but Santee should be somewhat sea level as it is perhaps 20 miles inland from the shore. Temp that day was in the 70s (So Cal ), no idea what the air density was.

I'm bummed by the numbers, but not by the car, which still manages to get my adrenaline pumping everytime I get near redline. Hopefully another dyno will rectify any doubts.

I would also like to add that the Dyno Shop in Santee somehow managed to get a check engine light to show on Mr B's Solara. The guy performing the dyno had hit the rev limiter at least 5 times during the dyno and managed only one successful pull (even though we paid for two). On top of that, the Solara now has developed some engine trouble due to the dyno folks. Though their facilities looked clean, the techs were hardly professional. Perhaps other people's impressions of them are better, but personally, I would avoid the place (or at least use dynojet instead of dyno-dynamics).
Old 01-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Aloharacing

Originally posted by ganz
Ha! Pretty good aloha - Anyway, I think I will do a dyno again at a reputable place (or at least on a dynojet). I'm actually in LA right now to get my clear bra fixed from Edre due to a nick that is similar to the one you got on your hood. I think that the film is rated for perpendicular impacts only and that objects that strike at an angle (like where the hood is), will tear the film. I hope 3M addresses this as it is actually not something that they will warrantee. I apologize for the OT subject matter.

I would also like to add that the Dyno Shop in Santee somehow managed to get a check engine light to show on Mr B's Solara. The guy performing the dyno had hit the rev limiter at least 5 times during the dyno and managed only one successful pull (even though we paid for two). On top of that, the Solara now has developed some engine trouble due to the dyno folks.
DON'T tell me that you experienced the same thing that I did with your bra!?

Mr. B: What kind of power are u getting at the crank on that beast? Supercharged right?
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Mr B

Originally posted by Aloharacing
DON'T tell me that you experienced the same thing that I did with your bra!?

Mr. B: What kind of power are u getting at the crank on that beast? Supercharged right?
Yeah, it's the TRD supercharger. So far, I've only dyno'ed with crappy 91 gas and got 275hp at the wheels, so I was hoping for a bit more when I drove down to SD with 100 octane gas. What a waste of money and now I have to fix whatever those guys screwed up.
But back to the question, I'm not exactly sure what the drivetrain loss is on the E series tranny, but if you calculate a 15% loss (probably quite a bit more), it's 324hp at the crank. With 18% loss, it'll be 335hp. Enough to surprise many domestic cars when they can't beat me. And if I am losing after 2nd gear, nothing a little squeeze of a button won't fix.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:19 PM
UFO

These numbers don't jive with the performance numbers. A 207 hp car just won't do 155 (limited) mph, or pull a 0-60 in ~5.5.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Aloharacing

Originally posted by 8702

The Viper put down around 460 hp and 485 tq and the Nova gave up 733 hp and 700 tq. They were going to spray a 200 shot on the second run, but they didn't. The guy said last time he dyno'd with nitrous he hit something crazy like 850 hp or something like that. Man, that beast was loud!
If the viper and nova were experiencing the same trend that most everyone else did that day, then i'd expect the viper to be closer to 500RWHP...
Old 01-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Mr B

Thanks 8702... I'm glad at least some people were happy with the numbers their cars were putting out. The owner of the Viper was just hoping for 400 at the wheels.
Anyway, thanks for the comments on my car. I'll try to work on it soon to see what's the deal with it. I also couldn't find enough people in such short notice for dyno's, so it's not going to happen I don't think. Anyway, there's always time for another one another day...