Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How did they break-in to my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeg8r
Ya, you know how if you lock your keys in the car and the AAA guy can open your car in like 2 seconds... it's just that easy to get into most cars.

quite true. I mistakenly shut my hatch before picking up the keys I dropped while arranging items. After calling road side service, I had a man come over and proceed to unlock my car within moments and the factory alarm NEVER went off. Rather discouraging to know it didn't even make a peep.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:12 PM
rmesola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably did not arm the security alarm, since you left the keyfob in the car...

the car was locked but not armed...
Old 02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by halitosis
I just want to know what method they used to get in in the first place.
I don't know about the alarm, but a locksmith was able to get into my 2003 Mercedes with just a thin piece of plastic with a string tied to each end. This set off the alarm. Disconnecting the battery set off yet another alarm. (Go figure, capacitor?). Upon reboot I was able to open the trunk. Yup, thats where I retrieved my keys
Old 02-07-2006, 06:56 PM
halitosis

Originally Posted by rmesola
you probably did not arm the security alarm, since you left the keyfob in the car...

the car was locked but not armed...
No no.. I had the key with me. I even made sure to look for my spare because I thought maybe a friend was playing a joke. Anyway, I appreciate the ideas.

Bastids...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by halitosis
So my Z was broken into last night. How did they do it? I ALWAYS lock the car and they didn't break the window. In fact, there's no sign of forced entry. They stoles some random things (a pocketknife, coins, garage door opener.)

I don't care about the stolen goods - I just want to know what method they used to get in in the first place. I have the factory alarm, FYI. Highly disturbing.

Greg
That's your problem right there.
It's not a factory alarm system, it's a factory keyless entry system.

Don't believe? Try this:
- Sit inside your car.
- Lock it with the remote.
- Unlock it manually and open the door.

Alarm will not go off.

You need to get a "real" alarm system.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:53 AM
TeCKNeiC

Originally Posted by Jun
That's your problem right there.
It's not a factory alarm system, it's a factory keyless entry system.

Don't believe? Try this:
- Sit inside your car.
- Lock it with the remote.
- Unlock it manually and open the door.

Alarm will not go off.

You need to get a "real" alarm system.
When I did that after waiting 30 seconds locking it with the remote, my car horn just beeps. I don't even know if I want an alarm unless it pages my cell phone. Anything else cound render itself useless when it comes down to your alarm going off and you actually recieving the indication.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
w1zdom

i agree that thieves will take something out of your car if they want it, but alarms deter them in a LOT of cases...why don't you get a removable steering wheel and sleep with it at night, it makes me feel a lot better . Least they won't be able to take your car.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:48 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w1zdom
i agree that thieves will take something out of your car if they want it, but alarms deter them in a LOT of cases...why don't you get a removable steering wheel and sleep with it at night, it makes me feel a lot better . Least they won't be able to take your car.
Removing the steering wheel wont prevent a tow truck or flat bed from stealing your car. The day I picked up my Z back in 2002 i had a aftermarket alarm installed. Someone tried to pry the handle but was unsuccessful. Left minor scratches. You got to be crazy not to have a aftermarket alarm in the Z. The car attracts all kinds of people.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
davidf

Then WTF is that little RED security light on the dash for? All this time I thought when I locked my car with remote, it was secure.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
thezedsled

Belive it or not they do sell devices that can capture the code of your fob and then be used to program the same code into a universal fob. They can capture your code from up to 300 feet away in fact. Modern keyless entry systems are actually very primitive and easy to get around with the right equipment. That is why the key also has certain security features built into it. They probably used a device like this and that is why there are no signs of forced entry and also why the alarm didn't go off. These devices are pretty cheap and with the right forged documents anyone can get one.

Other devices like the jiffy-jak or a hook tool like locksmiths use will open the car with no signs of forced entry but at the same time will set off the alarm. So if the alarm didn't go off then they must have hacked your fobs code and opened it that way.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by davidf
Then WTF is that little RED security light on the dash for? All this time I thought when I locked my car with remote, it was secure.
It is secure to a certain extent but every system has it's limitations! The main feature of the factory one is that once it is locked from the outside it must be unlocked from the outside or else the alarm will go off. So if they smash your window and reach inside to unlock it the alarm will go off and the ignition will be electronicly disabled untill it receives the transponder code from the key.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
ericjackson

one time this guy/thug asked me at the gas station if "those things really had windows that roll up and down when you open the door".. i thought for a split second and said "nah". i thought he may have heard something on how to break into one so i lied

it was a very weird question wasnt it?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:12 PM
damnnit

At least they didnt leave with the car. I would still feel unsafe with a pager alarm and lojack.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i need the James Bond exploding car theft deterent system
Old 02-08-2006, 06:29 PM
SoFla350z

one time this guy/thug asked me at the gas station if "those things really had windows that roll up and down when you open the door".. i thought for a split second and said "nah". i thought he may have heard something on how to break into one so i lied

it was a very weird question wasnt it?
When you open or close the door watch the window, it moves about 10mm or so. Thats probably what the guy was referring to
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
BlackSpec02

I never knew about any of this, but ive recently had some things (mostly CD's) stolen out of my Z as well and there was nothing wrong with the car nor signs of forced entry so I had convinced myself that I forgot to lock the car... which i still think I may have... but damn... i cant belive its not hard to break in to.

Is there any way to make them harder to get into outside of shaving the door handles off?

And like others have said... other than an alarm that pages you, what would an aftermarket alarm offer than the factory system doesnt... besides maybe being overly sensitive... i dont want a car that freaks out when people have loud exhaust.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
halitosis

^ Yeah, is there a way to add a "brain" to the OEM configuation? From a resale perspective, people always want something that looks and feels like OEM and not aftermarket.

I like the idea of another active alarm to support what I have now but ideally, I would add a proximity and impact sensor to my existing setup.

Holla back, yo!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by imseksy
just cause you got an alarm doesnt mean this thing will be prevented... if thieves want something out of your car theyll take it... an alarm just slows them down a bit.

anyway back to the subject... maybe they used a slim jim? i dont know if slim jims work on Z's but my friends car got broken into and they used a slim jim... the car doesnt even look broken in to
they might get stuff out, but they arent taking the whole thing, with a disabler.unless they tow it?but if it pages you, you'd most likely have enough time to go and insure safety of your ride.

Last edited by ARMSTRONGARMS; 02-08-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Aloha350z

You all are talking about how easy it is to break into a Z. You must be talking about the coupes, 'cuz it's much easier to break into a roadster. Aside from keeping the roadster locked in your garage at home...anyone with a knife can get into your Z roadster.

I had an aftermarket alarm installed, that made a loud noise, and my car still got stolen. Noise alarms do nothing if no one cares to check out what's going on. Pager types are the only way to go...just make sure you have a weapon when you confront the thief.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Juno

Originally Posted by SoFla350z
When you open or close the door watch the window, it moves about 10mm or so. Thats probably what the guy was referring to
Right...and that's why he told the "thug" that they don't. The guy was probably looking for a car that was an easy target to break into.

Quick Reply: How did they break-in to my car?