Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hardest Color to Maintain??!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:57 PM
frostyrock7c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror finish...

Black isn't the only color that can create a mirror finish...

Seriously, all the colors can be hard to maintain if you are an immaculate detailer. But for the average person, SS is the easiest. The dark colors are going to show swirls while the light colors are going to show dirt and grime.. it's a no-win situation. If you are just an average guy that washes every week or so and waxes once or twice a year than you should lean to the lighter, but if you go "OCD" like most of us, the darker colors can be well worth the effort. A perfect example is my Z and my girlfriend's Titanium Gray MazdaSpeed Protege... I spent an entire day clay barring, polishing, glazing, and waxing my Z, with multiple coats of polish, glaze, and wax. The next day, I put 1 layer of the above on here Mazda(which hadn't seen it nearly as much as the Z) and everyone noticed how much better her's sparkled. I'm still loving my DB, but dang it would be nice to be that low maintanence.

Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Miko

True that.

Black is a really nice color but only if garage kept. A siler or gray type Z will look clean when dirty, that's the cool thing about it. But the downside to owning a light color like that is when waxed, it doesn't really stand out as much as a darker color would.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Soccerprep205

im going to get flamed for this... but i have a neighbor that is 15 years old and saving up for a car. he is in an Auto tech class and details my car once a week. sure its 50$... but my car is always clean!!! inside and out!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:21 PM
bloodwings19

Not everyone has mention this, but yellow is pretty easy to maintain compared to dark colors of black, blue and brickyard. Today, I was driving towards the sun, and I saw a black G35 coupe going in the same direction. When the car was facing the sun, the swirl marks was so numerous that it looked like an old car. When I saw that, there is no doubt I will not own a black car unless it is my 2nd car.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 PM
liudacris

where can i find a Cali car duster?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
frostyrock7c

Most parts stores... though I've found that the local Napa doesn't stock them. Calcarcover.com also has a great selection of goodies!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM
mgnchakar

Default for a daily driver, forget black

black is awesome when clean, but that only holds true for the first day after wash. go with blue; white Zs just dont put a smile on my face IMO

if you were grading based on maintenance + looks, i think silver is the best.
looks = black
maintenance = white (my last car)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 PM
looptit

I have the DB. I bought it new in 04 and its a daily driver. I get compliments all the time about the color. Its also easy to keep clean. I wash it almost every week. Looks awesome with my chrome wheels also.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 AM
gdirty5

Yeah but White stands out at night and day vs the DB stands out only at daytime.

When you look at DB at night time it looks like another Dark car.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:20 AM
ZZ33bOI

i love my PPW~! its not only a regular white..its a PEARL WHITE...it a milky white...but yeah i wash my car about once a week either friday after work or sat morning. i only wash it on friday if i have a date later on that nite..a quick wash and a quick spray detailer its BOOOTYFULL! but yup its really up to you how u keep your car clean...but some like White like me...all my cars has been white....i have a soft spot for white cars...but DB is bootyfull too...my buddy always be *****in that i didnt get a DB when we past one....but he knows i like white...so anyways I would really ask yourself which color u like more..because u already kno what color you like more deep inside your mind...just go with ur first instinct!!! dont let anyone tell u which is easier and which is harder to keep clean...go with your first instinct!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
buho62

Originally Posted by liudacris
where can i find a Cali car duster?
Not to say Cali car duster is bad, but ANY duster on dark color cars WILL make swirl marks on your paint. If you have dark color car and you don't want swirl marks, hand wash it with some type of car wash (car soap), and wax it at least once every other month. If you have a silver or white car, a duster will do fine (swirl marks are still there but you won't see them)
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Sorry, but as the proud owner of an SB I have to disagree. Sure it's a PITA to keep clean but it's mine and I love owning it and take pride in the way it looks. So if it means a few more trips to the car wash or it takes an extra hour or so to wax, so what? I've wanted one since the 300ZX went out of production in '96. If you love your car who gives a $hit what color it is?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Sorry, but as the proud owner of an SB I have to disagree. Sure it's a PITA to keep clean but it's mine and I love owning it and take pride in the way it looks. So if it means a few more trips to the car wash or it takes an extra hour or so to wax, so what? I've wanted one since the 300ZX went out of production in '96. If you love your car who gives a $hit what color it is?
d00d, did you not read the subject? its simply asks what color is hardest to maintain. no one here is saying black is a bad color, just that its harder to maintain. oh, i would really hope you bought a color with the color you prefer, that would suck if you hated your color.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda

No one is putting down the colour Black. They are just saying it is a pain to maintain. Even the SB owners admit it is a pain to maintain. How can you in one breath say you disagree that black is hard to maintain, and in another breath say that it's a PITA to keep clean?

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Old 02-14-2006, 01:37 PM
GQ 350z

Hahah, that DB is mine. Wait till I post my updated pics. There will be no contest, no matter what the PPW has on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even a naked Jessica Alba on it?

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
Hahah, that DB is mine. Wait till I post my updated pics. There will be no contest, no matter what the PPW has on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
GQ 350z

Ok you win hhaha =P
Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 PM
typhaon

Black is pretty tough... but it looks so, so nice when it's clean.

If you saw mine right now you'd probably cry.

Starting at the roof it quickly fades from black down to gray to almost white.... with these super sexy white 'flame' streaks alone the windows and by the rear tires.

Really need to get a picture and start a 'dirtiest Z' thread
Old 02-26-2006, 04:05 PM
blakhaus

White cars look like crap.