Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

who here has ever had a clutch go out on them...in a z or other car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:58 AM
04silverzcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who here has ever had a clutch go out on them...in a z or other car?

what were teh indications? was there any kind of smell or anything?
Old 02-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Z_Driver
Master

There can be many indictions. Slipping, chattering, grabing, sqealing, gears not meshing, smells-like burning material (that one doesn't automatically say a clutch is out)

Best bet is to take it to the dealer if you are still under warantee. If you have to pay for clutch you may want to go it on your own without the dealer. If your super modded and have voided your warantee and need to find a shop to pay. Take to a good transmission rebuilder. Not AAMCO or dealer. There are a lot of great indepent companies out there. Believe it or not when it comes to transmission shops the cleaner/more organized the shop the better I have found out and I have had just a few trannys rebuilt.

I have rebuilt a few myself it's just not worth my time or money anymore.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 02-24-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a little more simple than that. A burning clutch has its own smell but that doesn't mean it's out. Put the car in 5th gear and floor it. If it revs up high and the car doesn't go, it is slipping. Slipping usually takes place in the higher gears first when there is less pressure. It will eventually do it in all gears but test in 5th.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:14 AM
04silverzcoupe

my buddy who is a big z guy, just got his thrid 300z the other day, and is pretty much a mechanic, said he had a clutch go out on one of his 300's and it smelled nothing like what the smell coming from my engine bay is.
tk2005 im assuming you mean putit in 5th and floor it to see if it slips, while at highway speeds or something where 5th gear would be applicable. not at low speeds right like 20?
mecinoid, do you know if the clutch should be covered under the bumper to bumper 3 yr waranty? they told me its not and the warranty book is vague so...
Old 02-24-2006, 06:30 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
my buddy who is a big z guy, just got his thrid 300z the other day, and is pretty much a mechanic, said he had a clutch go out on one of his 300's and it smelled nothing like what the smell coming from my engine bay is.
tk2005 im assuming you mean putit in 5th and floor it to see if it slips, while at highway speeds or something where 5th gear would be applicable. not at low speeds right like 20?
mecinoid, do you know if the clutch should be covered under the bumper to bumper 3 yr waranty? they told me its not and the warranty book is vague so...
Yea, burning clutch smells like burning clutch and nothing else. Any speed is fine for the test. Just make sure you are going fast enough to not have it sputter off. 30 mph would be fine. If it revs up high and doesn't go with it, it is slipping. Any other problem like grinding and chattering would be coming from the tranny or flywheel. The clutch isn't covered under warranty because it is a normal wear and tear part like brake pads and tires.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:52 AM
04silverzcoupe

the dealer quoted me 735 but said they were goign to polish the flywheel if necessary. but in another thread i searched theysaid the flywheel should be replaced. bc its too thin to polish it out. who is right here? obviously i dont want to spend 700 bcuks ona new clutch and f it up again bc it didnt all get done.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:03 AM
TK2005

the dealer quoted me 735 but said they were goign to polish the flywheel if necessary. but in another thread i searched theysaid the flywheel should be replaced. bc its too thin to polish it out. who is right here? obviously i dont want to spend 700 bcuks ona new clutch and f it up again bc it didnt all get done.
What are they charging you $735 for? Is that just for another disc and labor? That is not good. Take it to a speed shop and get something nice and a completely new setup. Labor is around $300 and you can get a higher performance clutch for $400 with new pressure plate, disc, throw out bearing, stainless steel clutch line, and all. They have plenty of clutch and flywheel packages near $800 as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Kabeetz

The smell of a burning clutch definitely is unique IMO... also one time I thought I had a vehicle that the clutch had went on but it turns out that one of the calipers needed replacing, which if an inexpensive fix.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
fast kiwi

when my clutch went it went with no warming.. got up one morning and there was nothing.. nothing at all.. couldnt even select a gear to roll start. Just failed!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 PM
04silverzcoupe

Originally Posted by TK2005
What are they charging you $735 for? Is that just for another disc and labor? That is not good. Take it to a speed shop and get something nice and a completely new setup. Labor is around $300 and you can get a higher performance clutch for $400 with new pressure plate, disc, throw out bearing, stainless steel clutch line, and all. They have plenty of clutch and flywheel packages near $800 as well.
im not real sure exactly. on tues im goign to another dealer to see what they say. if they say clutch as well then ill ask them for specifics.
tk can you post or pm me some links to where i can look at some of these combos.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 PM
evo45

In a POS work truck many years back. Lost a clutch completely. Heard a couple of clik claks looked back and saw metal bouncing from under the truck. Then no more go. This was on the extreme side I must say.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Depends on the dealership. Some will replace the clutch if they can figure some way to prove it defective to the factory rep. Others just wont try and they say it's a wear item and won't cover it at all. If they go by the warantee book you won't get it covered under the warantee. I have had mine replaced by Ford, Chevy, and other manufacturers. However, never had the need to see if Nissan would do the same.

Now as for the 5th gear test - That will work if it is a disc problem and might work if the pressure plate spring are not holding pressure. However, if it is hydraulics or you messed up pressure plate fingers, the 5the gear test won't tell you anything because it is still gripping OK just not releasing the way it should. Your clutch could still smell but it's not because of slipping during acceleration. It's because it's overheating the gears in the tranny or the fingers on the pressure plate are grinding out the throwout bearing etc..... In that case, you would get notchy or grinding shifts and maybe not be able to get it in gear very well.

After reviewing you posts and if your transmission is just a little hard to shift. You might have just burnt up your fluid from overheating the clutch etc.. Doing a lot of drag racing or road courses? Check your clutch fluid if it's black and smells ...... that could very well the problem.
Change it out for some good stuff ..... Like Motul high temp fluid.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 02-24-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Sam405

Yeah mine did the same just got out of work and started my car. Tried to put it into gear and it wouldn't go in. Had to tow my car all the way to CPR. Now i have Clutch Masters 8 puck with fly wheel.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:58 PM
TK2005

im not real sure exactly. on tues im goign to another dealer to see what they say. if they say clutch as well then ill ask them for specifics.
tk can you post or pm me some links to where i can look at some of these combos.
You can get it anywhere but if you would buy it from one of the site sponsors it would be better. I have SGP at the top of my list www.sgpracing.com You can also try forged internals www.forgedinternals.com (he's a good guy and helpful) Can't forget the good guys over at Performance Nissan www.mynismo.com
Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 PM
04silverzcoupe

alright thakns tk ill check it outthis weekend hopefully. ill be out of town so i might not get a chance. ill keep yall updated.
thanks to everyone here who hasposted so far.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
angelzhope720

The way I check whether or not my clutch is worn: slap it in first, release clutch , if car jerks and stalls, you have a good clutch. If it slips, get it checked.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I guess I can consider myself lucky then same stock clutch and Tranny with 81k miles. I did however pick up a brand new OEM clutch, pressure plate and throw out Bearing for dirt cheap recentely just in case I did need to replace it.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:24 AM
roast

^^ Most premature clutch failures are a result of poor driving. You're not lucky, you just know how to drive!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by roast
^^ Most premature clutch failures are a result of poor driving. You're not lucky, you just know how to drive!
Or, might I add:

Modding and powershifting like I do at times. Lol !!!